The CNET Lounge forum

General discussion

Web 1.0, 2.0, etc.

by namizhou / February 14, 2008 7:06 AM PST

In regards to the discussion at the end of Episode 660 about what to call web 1.0, 2.0 etc, I thought I'd chime in with my own definitions, which I've collected over the years.

I believe the era of the Web (web 1.0) began in 1994 when Sun Microsystems created the first true web page for the Football World Cup. Web 1.0 is categorised by it's use of print metaphors ? for example, everything from that time was either an electronic catalog, and electronic article, and electronic brochure, etc. etc. The term "web page" is perhaps the best example.

But web 2.0 no longer has a print counterpart. With the birth of online software, database-driven sites, and the interactivity of commentary, web 2.0 accomplishes things that can't be done on paper, even if you're sitting in the same room as someone else. It's about software on the web, and therefore the term "site" is more appropriate than page. Yes, as Tom says, there is a certain aesthetic associated with Web 2.0 ?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Web 1.0, 2.0, etc.
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Web 1.0, 2.0, etc.
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Oy Vey..
by Slikkster / February 14, 2008 7:49 AM PST
In reply to: Web 1.0, 2.0, etc.

I heard this extended conversation about Web 1.0, 2.0, and 3.0 today. Sheesh...It's obvious that the definitions of these terms are rather ill-defined, or are in the minds of the beholders.

I'm not sure I came away with any succinct difference between 1.0 and 2.0 from the podcast. I think I get the distinction of 3.0 -- the "semantic" web, which provides for both human and machine readable data.

Collapse -
web 3.0 = ppl + machines, no?
by robstak / February 14, 2008 8:14 AM PST

web 1.0 = computer content

web 2.0 = people content

web 3.0 = 1.0 + 2.0 (web + ppl content)

see, 1 + 2 = 3!

Stuff like Mahalo, I think is the next web boom. I see what you are saying about AJAX, but that, to me is separate. It's like widgets. theyve been around for some time now and are pretty much standard issue already.

just a thought

-karl

Collapse -
Hang on just a sec...
by Nicholas Buenk / February 15, 2008 8:01 AM PST

A forum like this is people content. And it's from web 1.0.....
Web 2.0 is AJAX and video I'd say.

Collapse -
Let me define
by wit_happens / February 15, 2008 7:24 AM PST

Hey people, as an avid follower of the _actual_ Semantic Web, I'd like to clarify something... whatever Web 3.0 ends-up being, Semantic Web will be a PART of it, if anything. Using these buzzwords interchangeably is the same as treating "Web 2.0" and "Social Network" as synonyms.

I have a blog post on the subject here:
http://withappens.wordpress.com/2008/02/15/phases-of-webinternet-evolution/

And a handy-dandy comparison chart in PDF form, here:
http://withappens.files.wordpress.com/2008/02/interneteras01.pdf

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

Does BMW or Volvo do it best?

Pint-size luxury and funky style

Shopping for a new car this weekend? See how the BMW X2 stacks up against the Volvo XC40 in our side-by-side comparison.