Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

we will try again..... SIGH

by behoppe / January 22, 2005 1:31 AM PST

I thought I finally found the media center deal with all around decent components, etc...

I drove home last nigth from Best Buy with an 825GM in the trunk. Set it all up, turned it on and poof -

Pushing the power button on the front caused the fan to kick in for a fraction of a second, then silence. A sticker says "this new BTX technology has a variable speed fan to optimize noise control and temperature control". I thought "DAMN, this really is a quiet pc!!! The blue power button stayed on, the computer stayed off. The monitor said -searching for signal-.

Customer support was not as good as everyone said. It seems as though when they realized my problem and couldn't figure out a solution, they were quick to pass me off to someone else and say it wasn't their area of rewsponsibility.

Anyway, I will be returning this to BB this morning. We will see how that goes. I said no to the HIGH PRESSURE selling of the extended warranty. I have a gut feeling that they could be jerks about the whole deal.

I will try again as this seems to be the best deal for what you get by a long shot. Since Oregon doesn't have sales tax, I prefer not to mail order anything to save tax and shipping (=BIG savings).

This forum was very informative and was the main reason I decided to go ahead and buy the 825. If things don't work out, I will let you know. Thanks for all the good info!!

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: we will try again..... SIGH
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: we will try again..... SIGH
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Good luck behoppe
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / January 22, 2005 3:26 AM PST

and when you take it back, ask them to connect it up and get it working.

I'm not being funny. They should see what the problem is first hand, instead of trying to bundle you off with an excuse or a replacement. They have a duty to provide you with working goods and they have failed.

If they attempt to give you a replacement, ask them to prove to you that it works before you accept it.

Mark

Collapse -
Re: Gateway 825GM computer...
by John Robie / January 22, 2005 3:37 AM PST

Hi behoppe,

Assume you read this thread:

http://reviews.cnet.com/5208-6142-0.html?forumID=5&threadID=57767&messageID=686767

Yes, the specs on that computer is great for the $1200 w/o monitor/printer, and $1430 with 17" Flat Panel Monitor(not CRT) and printer.

I have purchased two computers (not the 825GM) from Best Buy in the past few years, and what I did was go ahead and pay them $19.95 to do what they call a "BBC Peripheral Service - Compute Main" before it left the store. The stores here have a little shop where you can view what they do, and from what I observed is that they take the tower out of the box, start up the PC to their monitor, put a CD in that apparently has a Best Buy Tech Service program for new unused computers, that does a number of 'good' things including making you the Administrator and asking who else will be using the machine and what you desire, etc.. That way they also would find a bug in the startup anyway.
When I get home and start up, everything has been done for set up, just connect to the ISP.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

The Samsung RF23M8090SG

One of the best French door fridges we've tested

A good-looking fridge with useful features like an auto-filling water pitcher and a temperature-adjustable "FlexZone" drawer. It was a near-flawless performer in our cooling tests.