Spyware, Viruses, & Security forum

General discussion

We can have fun now?

by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / October 25, 2003 8:44 AM PDT

<object classid='clsid27CDB6E-AE6D-11cf-96B8-444553540000' codebase='http://download.macromedia.com/pub/shockwave/cabs/flash/swflash.cab#version=6,0,29,0' width='375' height='250'>
<param name='movie' value='http://www.oddtodd.com/concentration/concentration.swf'>
<param name='quality' value='high'>
<param name='LOOP' value='false'>
<embed src='http://www.oddtodd.com/concentration/concentration.swf' width='375' height='250' loop='false' quality='high' pluginspage='http://www.macromedia.com/go/getflashplayer' type='application/x-shockwave-flash'></embed></object>

From http://www.oddtodd.com

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: We can have fun now?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: We can have fun now?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Yeah! What did you have for dinner... split pea soup?
by glenn30 / October 25, 2003 9:08 AM PDT
In reply to: We can have fun now?

' Grin

Collapse -
Re:Yeah! What did you have for dinner... split pea soup?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / October 25, 2003 9:15 AM PDT

I actually made a chicken chili with... navy beans, corn some chili mixture and of course chicken. Sorry, but it's almost all gone now.

While I can imagine people will and can have fun with embedding html code, the inclusion of javascript and now flash opens up a lot issues.

The only reason I guess the script kiddies are not here in force is the that '' quote mark isn't working.

I take it all back. The quote mark bug may be a good thing not to fix until someone realises that allowing javascript, flash and what else in the forums is itself a possible security issue.

Bob

Collapse -
Re:Re:Yeah! What did you have for dinner... split pea soup?
by glenn30 / October 25, 2003 9:25 AM PDT

Thanks, but glad the dinner is all gone... that would last me through the night and all day tomorrow. Wink

Dunno about this forum. I have reached the silly stage already... so might as well have fun, I guess!

Have a good evening,
Glenn

P.S. - At least we are keeping your post dancing to the top!

Collapse -
(NT) Huh?? I only saw an empty box... and a link below it.. forum bug?
by Gakada / October 25, 2003 5:09 PM PDT
Sad
Collapse -
Embedded Flash file

I didn't see it either but I don't think I've installed the Flash plugin on the new PC yet and security setup on browser must not download the plugin automatically (or even ask for it).

Collapse -
Re:(NT) Huh?? I only saw an empty box... and a link below it.. forum bug?

Your ActiveX is diabled? I can see the game intro and the link if I'll allow activex

Collapse -
Oh, we can do ActiveX too?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / October 25, 2003 10:36 PM PDT

I'll see if I can dig up a safe demo.

IMHO, such is a bad idea on web based forums. Too many things can go wrong.

Bob

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) Thanks Bob, I enjoyed that :>
by Dragon / August 31, 2004 6:16 AM PDT
Collapse -
What am I missing, and why?
by Kees Bakker / August 31, 2004 7:06 AM PDT

I only see 10 lines of code, from object to /object and then the link. Both in IE (5.5) and Firebird (0.8). No special settings, as far as I know, and Flash-player working on other sites. Seems rather safe, in fact, but no fun. And the idea I'm missing something is still less fun.

Kees

Collapse -
Re: What am I missing, and why?
by glenn30 / August 31, 2004 7:10 AM PDT

Someone had to go way back to dredge up this thread! Oh well it a slow day. Grin

Glenn

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) Sorry,overlooked the date. You're fast (4 mn),not slow!
by Kees Bakker / August 31, 2004 7:40 AM PDT
Collapse -
Re: We can have fun now?
by relentlesss / September 6, 2004 2:58 AM PDT

Hold on, hold on. I have dnloaded shockwave and flash from macromedia literally for years, with every new pc. I don't read that code, you aren't saying these products are unsafe are you?
I do have fun with them, need them for lots of games on Neopets.
relentlesss

Collapse -
Look at the dates.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / September 6, 2004 3:24 AM PDT

When CNet rolled out the forums, an initial setting allowed HTML and Javascript code. Examples of how this could be abused were supplied and the forum moved to a safer, but more boring format.

Internet Explorer is very exploitable so the HTML/Javascript had to go.

Bob

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 51,912 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,498 discussions
icon
Laptops 20,411 discussions
icon
Security 30,882 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 21,253 discussions
icon
Windows 10 1,672 discussions
icon
Phones 16,494 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,855 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 15,504 discussions

REVIEW

Meet the drop-resistant Moto Z2 Force

The Moto Z2 Force is really thin, with a fast processor and great battery life. It can survive drops without shattering.