HolidayBuyer's Guide

Speakeasy forum

General discussion

We are so lucky here and we don't realize most of the time

by Diana Forum moderator / June 5, 2004 9:43 AM PDT
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: We are so lucky here and we don't realize most of the time
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: We are so lucky here and we don't realize most of the time
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re:We are so lucky here and we don't realize most of the time

Though spousal physical and mental abuse occurs here, it is against the law, and is not condoned by our society.

It took a while but females got the right to vote, and are free to pursue chosen careers. I have never felt "unequal".

There are pockets of ignorance still, though they have grown smaller through the efforts of dedicated people.

If memory serves, civil war destroyed what had been a country with higher standards.

India has become a center for our out-sourcing technical jobs, yet the attitudes as described continue to exist.

Yes, Diana, we are indeed lucky!

Angeline
click here to email semods4@yahoo.com

Collapse -
Re:We are so lucky here and we don't realize most of the time

I have a brother who left his OB/GYN practice in Columbus, Ohio to become a medical missionary in the Congo. He has spoken much of the lack of value that women hold in most of African society. The surgical proceedure mentioned here is one that he also performs happily as it goes a long way to restore a woman's dignity though it does not solve the long term problems. There is more that goes with these stories. If folks don't mind, I will link to Mike's site. Believe me, what you see here is mile compared to what he shares when he returns to the states.

http://www.pcusa.org/missionconnections/profiles/haningerm.htm

Collapse -
Re:Re:We are so lucky here and we don't realize most of the time
by Paul C / June 5, 2004 12:13 PM PDT

Steve,

The next time you contact your brother, ask him if he ever spoke to a Presbyterian church group in Indiana. His name sounds very familiar for some reason...

Collapse -
Mission intinerary

Mike and Nancy we in the US from August of 2003 and returned to the Congo this past February. They are based in Columbus, Ohio (my city as well) and did some extensive traveling and speaking at churches in many states. If you care to give me the name of your church, I can E-mail Mike and ask. I know they put together a video presentation of their mission work as I helped with some of the computer hardware issues they were having. Mike is very passionate about his work there and has some gut wrenching stories that I doubt he shares during his US visits. We (my wife and I) were able to get the two of them to do their presentation at our church which is Roman Catholic. It was very moving and made most of our US gripes seem petty. The link has a few pictures and maybe you will recognize them.

Collapse -
I know what you mean, but wouldn't fortunate be a better word than luck?
by Kiddpeat / June 5, 2004 12:33 PM PDT

I don't think we're blessed with random events. I think we need to be thankful for our blessings.

Collapse -
Re: wouldn't 'fortunate' be a better word than 'lucky?' -- No...

Hi, KP.

No, "lucky" is precisely the right word. When Warren Buffett (the "Sage of Omaha" and the nation's 2nd-richest man with a personal net worth of about $35 billion) was asked to what he attributed his great success, he said "First, I won the lottery -- I was born in America." The world's population today is estimated around 6.4 billion, of whom roughly 0.3 billion live in the US -- about a 5% chance.

-- Dave K, Speakeasy Moderator

The opinions expressed above are my own,
and do not necessarily reflect those of CNET!

Collapse -
Sorry Dave, but I believe in a sovereign God who doesn't

stand on the sidelines wringing His hands helplessly. I wouldn't consider the opinion of the 'world's richest man' authoritative regarding the nature of life and reality. America's blessings didn't occur by chance. They occurred because a lot of men and women were profoundly affected by good values. Those values have their roots in the Bible.

Collapse -
Re: Sorry Dave, but I believe in a sovereign God who doesn't

Hi, KP.

I believe in God too, but what did the poor starving baby in Bangladesh do to deserve his/her fate? I do not believe in predestination; I believe God CAN but usually does not intervene in human affairs, because if He does, then He can't be all-good; there's simply too much misery and evil in the world. And don't give me "original sin;" that was washed away "once and for all in the blood of the Lamb."

-- Dave K, Speakeasy Moderator

The opinions expressed above are my own,
and do not necessarily reflect those of CNET!

Collapse -
Re: Thanks Diana, we all need a reality check now & then...nt
by Mary Kay / June 6, 2004 1:39 AM PDT

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

HOLIDAY GIFT GUIDE 2017

Cameras that make great holiday gifts

Let them start the new year with a step up in photo and video quality from a phone.