Storage forum

General discussion

WD Passport works with Vista but not XP

by Karahuna / December 29, 2008 9:49 AM PST

Hello, world.

I just bought a used, 120gb WD passport on eBay. The seller was a Vista user and didn't reformat the drive before sending it to me. I tried the HDD on my XP PC, and though the power light came on and the computer recognized it, I couldn't see it in Explorer. When I go into Disk Management, I can see it there, but when I right click on it all the options - including Format - are greyed out.

The drive works fine on my Vista laptop though. When I went into Disk Management there with the drive connected, I could see it and reformat it. So I did, but when I plugged it back into my PC it still didn't appear in Explorer.

I've also tried a fix I read in some other forum - disabling my 1394 connection and rebooting, but that didn't work either.

I need the drive to work on both systems so I can transfer files from my PC to my laptop. I'd appreciate any help.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: WD Passport works with Vista but not XP
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: WD Passport works with Vista but not XP
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Next time.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 29, 2008 10:24 AM PST

Use DISK MANAGEMENT to remove the partitions on that drive (in XP) and then create it anew, format it and it will likely work. I'll leave it to you to research how Vista can do this.
Bob

Collapse -
Nope.
by Karahuna / December 29, 2008 10:40 AM PST
In reply to: Next time.

I can't interact with the external HDD at all when it's plugged into my XP pc. The "delete partition" option and all others are greyed out in Disk Management when I right click on it. But, unlike my two internal hard drives, this one has little diagonal grey lines through it's section of the lower right pane, and it reads "Healthy (GPT Protective Partition)" instead of "Healthy (Active)."

Collapse -
Next step.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 29, 2008 10:51 AM PST
In reply to: Nope.

Use google.com and catch up what "GPT Protective Partition" is and how to deal with it.

Collapse -
Ohhhh
by Karahuna / December 29, 2008 11:14 AM PST
In reply to: Next step.
Collapse -
That's a good way to deal with GPT disks.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 29, 2008 10:30 PM PST
In reply to: Ohhhh

There are a number of such free formatters but I can never tell anyone which to use. It's why I try to help others find out about the issues and what words to use at Google or search bars.
Bob

Collapse -
Well
by Karahuna / December 30, 2008 12:40 AM PST
Collapse -
DOS - An Eternity of Computing
by mssusanf / February 4, 2009 6:06 AM PST
In reply to: Well

Once again, another example that goes to show ya, DOS'll never die!

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!