HolidayBuyer's Guide

Storage forum

General discussion

WD My Book Home Edition 1 Terabyte - Delayed Write Failed

by Chris1331 / March 23, 2008 4:26 AM PDT

Hi,

This is a new drive. Works fine unless connected via eSATA. New controller card. Bios upgrades on motherboard and controller card. WD has replaced drive three times and the result is always the same. Controller card has also been replaced as have the eSATA cables. Drive only acts up when using eSATA. Delayed write error appears when computer is sitting idle and it locks up the machine requiring a re-boot.

Running Windows XP SP2; 3GB memory; 3.2 GHz Processor.

Any ideas would be appreciated.

Chris

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: WD My Book Home Edition 1 Terabyte - Delayed Write Failed
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: WD My Book Home Edition 1 Terabyte - Delayed Write Failed
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Since esate support is nearly impossible to obtain.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / March 23, 2008 4:28 AM PDT

That is, no one seems to be willing to give free machine support today why not just go with the connection that works?

Collapse -
Now a challenge
by Chris1331 / March 23, 2008 7:40 AM PDT

I would just like to take advantage of the speed boost that comes with eSATA. It has become a challenge at this point.

Collapse -
(NT) Does it work on other machines?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / March 23, 2008 7:46 AM PDT
In reply to: Now a challenge
Collapse -
Availability
by Chris1331 / March 24, 2008 4:50 AM PDT

Hi,

I have no other machine available to me to test that theory. That is the only thing I have not been able to eliminate.

Chris

Collapse -
Then all we can try is ...
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / March 24, 2008 8:50 AM PDT
In reply to: Availability
Collapse -
Controller
by Chris1331 / March 25, 2008 2:08 AM PDT

I have done that already too. Started with a new SIIG and applied the latest firmware and drivers when it produced the Delayed Write Failure to K:\$Mft error.

Then with guidance from SIIG tech support, returned the controller card and purchased a new LaCie controller and upgraded it. Same result.

I am assuming it is a simple setting on my machine that is escaping me.

Chris

Collapse -
Wish it was so simple.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / March 25, 2008 2:54 AM PDT
In reply to: Controller

I offered that 10+ driver issue as an example of what I work for the drivers lists today. I have to check each and every one of them with each maker.

It's possible it's some power or other issue. Did you try a plain old SATA drive, power connection from the desktop?
Bob

Collapse -
SATA Drive
by Chris1331 / March 25, 2008 5:31 AM PDT
In reply to: Wish it was so simple.

No. I'm afraid the My Book is the only such drive I have.

Chris

Collapse -
So does is work inside the desktop?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / March 25, 2008 5:55 AM PDT
In reply to: SATA Drive

What good is external if it doesn't play for you?

Also I know the driver issues too well. If we include those BIOS versions that's an even dozen items for many machines to work.
Bob

Collapse -
Delayed Write Failed
by K_McIntosh / November 17, 2010 7:09 AM PST

I was searching that error message and found this old 23MAR08 post of yours ... on the face of it, it doesn't look like you resolved the DWF issue(s).

I'm having that error message within the BartPE 3.1.10a operating environment while connected via eSATA (BartPE is like XP 32-bit, only it is a self-contained OS booted from a USB thumb drive as a troubleshooting tool when the HDD-installed OS on a given machine won't boot ... for whatever reason).

I'd be interested to know if you ever resolved your eSATA DWF issue(s).

I suspect a f/w upgrade (REV_1034 [from REV_1028]) I did on my drives (I own 4 My Book Home HDDs) in MAR of this year may have precipitated this same DWF issue, but seemingly only in the BartPE environment.

Thanks, Kevin

Collapse -
Why yes I did.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 17, 2010 8:37 AM PST
In reply to: Delayed Write Failed

There is no one solution but here's the list.

1. Updated the firmware of the HDD.
2. Put the drive into a desktop and let windows chkdsk it on startup.
3. Replaced the HDD.
4. Deleted the partitions, created new partition and formatted it in a suitable format for the host OS.

Hope this helps,
bob

Collapse -
I must be missing something ...
by K_McIntosh / November 18, 2010 2:22 AM PST
In reply to: Why yes I did.

I thought this was Chris1331's issue ... Bob, did you wind up resolving matters for Chris?

As to your list Bob ... thanks for helping out ...

1. f/w upgrade ... done that (REV_1034) ... am now wondering if I can roll-back to REV_1028
2. chkdsk ... was able to do that up in a normal OS (Win XP Pro 32-bit SP3) with the WD as an externally-connected non-system drive from: Properties > Tools > Error-checking - Check Now (plus, if connected [externally] on a normal XP boot and errors are present, chkdsk will run on that drive anyways)
3. replacement ... not an option (due out-of-warranty, NLA & not really neccessary as the drive is only acting up in the BartPE environment with large file Writes)
4. reformatting ... not an option ... I have nowhere I can immediately move the existing 400~GB of data already on this single partition NTFS drive (my other 3 1TB WD's are all full of good stuff), plus, as for final comment in 3.

I'm focusing on the possibility that BartPE is loading an inappropriate driver for my eSATA controller - even though the appropriate driver (Si3112.sys - v1.3.65.2, 23-Aug-06) is configured properly in my BartPE build, is the latest from the controller vendor (Vantec UGT-ST350CB, seen by XP devmgmt.msc as 'Silicon Image SiI 3512 SATALink Controller') and is presumably matched to the BIOS of the controller.

The trick is to be able to bring an appropriate tool to bear within the BartPE environment to examine the actual driver being loaded.

Thanks, Kevin

Collapse -
Sorry.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 18, 2010 9:49 AM PST
In reply to: Why yes I did.

The forum has bottomed out and you had replied to my post if I ever fixed this. I can't answer if Chris found an answer but you asked me so I gave a quick list of the things I've run into over the past few months.

Interesting comment however about not being able to move the files out to start over.

Are you telling us that there is no backup copy?
Bob

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

HOLIDAY GIFT GUIDE 2017

Cameras that make great holiday gifts

Let them start the new year with a step up in photo and video quality from a phone.