Question

WD Elements Play cannot be modified

I've just bought a WD Elements Play which I guess is really an external hard drive. The idea is that I can save AVIs etc on it and then play them through my television.
I've attached the system to my Mac and its icon appears on the screen. I can read the documentation on the system but I can't save anything to it. It should just be a case of drag and drop but I just get a message saying that the Play cannot be modified.
Can anyone suggest anything to make this work?
Thanks

Discussion is locked
Follow
Reply to: WD Elements Play cannot be modified
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: WD Elements Play cannot be modified
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
Answer
It's possible that this WD Elements Play is formatted

as NTFS, which OS X cannot write to.
It would be unusual for the drive to be shipped like that but possible.
Once the drive is mounted, appears on the desktop, launch Disk Utility from the Applications/Utilities folder.
Select the drive in the LH pane and choose Partition.
Choose one partition, give the drive a name, choose Mac OS X Extended (journaled) as the format
Under Options, check that GUID table is selected.
Hit the Apply button and watch Disk Utility do its thing.

- Collapse -
Thank-you

I really appreciate this. I will try it.

- Collapse -
(NT) Let us know how you get on
- Collapse -
Thank-you - it worked!

Sorry it took me so long to respond but I wanted to try things in the morning.
I was directed to this site by another response:
http://wdc.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/3865/c/130/p/208,339
and this helped brilliantly. I followed the directions given and it works.
Please note that I am a regular computer/internet user but I would not consider myself experienced.
Thank-you to everyone who replied because you really did help. Laugh

CNET Forums