Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

WD Diag Tools and XP Home

by TONI H / March 2, 2006 6:14 AM PST

SP2 upgrade......

I can't find anything in the WD cd that allows me to partition the new harddrive in order to copy the existing XP Home installation from the original harddrive to the new one.

The screens ask if you want to copy a drive/partition and then limits the drive to 137GB without giving any options to partition it or use the whole drive.

I assumed it was because it detects W98SE on the drive with FAT32 rather than XP SP2 even though we have picked it over and over again.

Instead...now I've disconnected the other XP drive, had her boot with her upgrade cd and start a new installation of XP Home on the new drive. However, there are no Advanced Options to choose from to create partitioning if we wanted to so right now the install is going onto the whole 200GB drive.

Where/When do you get the options to create partitions, cuz it sure never showed up for me with XP Pro and it isn't showing up for her XP Home. Which was why when I was setting up my own drives previously, I used a W98SE boot disk, created and formatted what I wanted, installed XP Pro and then converted the drives to NTFS later on.

Also....once I have XP Home installed on this harddrive, can the WD tools be used to copy the other drive XP set up to this new drive so we don't have to reinstall all the drivers and programs and her internet stuff? If not, we are prepared to just use her keychain drive to replace and import stuff, but this is ridiculous....especially since I haven't told her that she'll probably have to call MS to activate this install again since it's only about six weeks since she did the first XP install from this cd.

TONI

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: WD Diag Tools and XP Home
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: WD Diag Tools and XP Home
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
I think that's right.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / March 2, 2006 6:32 AM PST

The WD free software is very limited. Partition Magic may be what you are thinking of.

Bob

Collapse -
The WD cd
by TONI H / March 2, 2006 6:38 AM PST
In reply to: I think that's right.

gave the proper warning about the 137GB limit unless you have XP SP1 or higher installed, which she has...however, it actually detected W98SE as the operating system installed on that other drive and not XP. I'm assuming because of the FAT32 still there and that XP is an upgrade so many W98SE items would still be floating around?

What about the clean XP install? When do you get the Advanced Options to create partitions normally show up because set up/install doesn't show anything like that even with my XP Pro (full version not an upgrade).

TONI

Collapse -
You can create partitions immediately AFTER...
by Edward ODaniel / March 2, 2006 7:05 AM PST
In reply to: The WD cd
Collapse -
Yup. Having that old OS can gum it up.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / March 2, 2006 9:39 AM PST
In reply to: The WD cd

Most of this is noted at http://www.48bitlba.com and a few workarounds are noted.

But I don't bother fixing such dual boot machines since I consider the patches too dangerous. I leave it at 127GB under they can move on.

Bob

Collapse -
Toni, have her...
by Edward ODaniel / March 2, 2006 7:00 AM PST

go here http://www.v-com.com/product/Copy_Commander_Home.html and buy a copy of Copy Commander.

Takes all the "guess work" and dificulties out of copying her existing drive to the new drive and making use of the whole thing.

I like Ghost myself but this one I have used also and strongly recommend it for the "intellectually challenged" as well as for those who just like keeping things simple.

Collapse -
Activation isn't working
by TONI H / March 2, 2006 8:12 AM PST

I knew she would have to get a new activation code, but when she calls that 888 number, a recording is asking HER to fill in that long string ID instead. Where is she supposed to get it if not from them?

The automated stuff confirmed her name and Product Code Key, but she can't go any further because the automated stuff isn't even questioning why she needs to reinstall so quickly from the original install.

Now what?

TONI

Collapse -
Here is a phone # that may get an actual
by retired / March 2, 2006 10:38 AM PST

Microsoft person. (888) 352-7140

Collapse -
Another MS number
by Damn_machine / March 2, 2006 2:47 PM PST

1-888-772-4357 Used to work, but I haven't tried it lately.

Collapse -
Activation
by billzhills / March 3, 2006 12:41 AM PST

How to activate Windows XP by phone

Screen shot

Line 3 is the numbers the robot is looking for.

Line 4 is the numbers that the robot will dicate to her for activation.

Can you get into windows and install just the NIC drivers?
This would be alot easier.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?