Computer Help forum

General discussion

WD Caviar Green 1TB shows up as 32mb drive

by dirtee1 / March 1, 2009 1:24 AM PST

Running XP SP2.

I recently bought two WD Caviar Green 1TB drives and it's been a nightmare trying to install them. First I tried installing one on my brother's computer - it detected it as a 32mb drive and allowed me to format and use that 32mb space like any regular drive, but it simply would not show the rest of the drive. This is both in XP disk management and the BIOS. After two weeks of tweaking with it, suddenly for no apparent reason it shows up as a 1TB drive and has been working perfectly ever since. The problem is I don't know if it was something I did that fixed it or the computer eventually righted itself. (which I know sounds incredulous)

Now I'm trying to install the second harddrive on my own computer and I'm faced with the same problem again. I've tried uninstalling and reinstalling the driver, detaching and reattaching it, trying out different BIOS configs, nothing's worked and it's driving me nuts! Google searches have turned up absolutely nothing on the issue, but the fact that the same problem turned up on two different machines with two different units tells me this is more than an isolated problem. Does anyone know what is going on?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: WD Caviar Green 1TB shows up as 32mb drive
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: WD Caviar Green 1TB shows up as 32mb drive
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Let's try a few common issue.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / March 1, 2009 1:27 AM PST
Collapse -
Done
by dirtee1 / March 1, 2009 10:15 AM PST

Thanks, I uninstalled my emulator software and installed autorun eater. No luck. Would it make sense for an emulator to affect the BIOS's own capacity detection anyway?

Collapse -
YES.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / March 1, 2009 10:24 AM PST
In reply to: Done

And after the install of such, a reboot to get going again.

Collapse -
Did that
by dirtee1 / March 1, 2009 10:41 AM PST
In reply to: YES.

Uninstalled the emulator, installed autorun eater, rebooted, the drive still reads as 32mb.

Collapse -
Make the call to WD.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / March 1, 2009 10:48 AM PST
In reply to: Did that

Sorry but I offered the usuals I run into. Look at other replies and make that call.

Collapse -
Thanks
by dirtee1 / March 1, 2009 11:18 AM PST
In reply to: Make the call to WD.
Collapse -
So did you find out how you limited the capacity.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / March 1, 2009 11:25 AM PST
In reply to: Thanks

Usually it's self inflicted with emulators, torrents, trojans or bad luck.

That autorun eater is best kept installed as a shield against a new pest going around on USB sticks, drives and CD/DVDs.
Bob

Collapse -
No unfortunately
by dirtee1 / March 1, 2009 1:26 PM PST

I simply have no way of telling what exactly was causing it. My brother's PC had no torrents or emulators yet was affected the same way.

My AVG antivirus always detects autorun viruses from USB drives. Would the extra protection be necessary? I need as much memory free and the registry clean.

Collapse -
I'm going with YES.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / March 1, 2009 9:19 PM PST
In reply to: No unfortunately

The current attack vector is being heavily exploited.

Maybe you didn't know that your Antivirus only stops items it knows about so if I extend this sort of thinking why wouldn't you drop your firewall since your Antivirus would catch the pest?

Just sharing that I've installed this small gem all over the place.
Bob

Collapse -
Good point
by dirtee1 / March 1, 2009 9:48 PM PST
In reply to: I'm going with YES.

Yes, I've thought about that, though by the same reasoning it would be easy to justify installing numerous antivirus applications just to ensure there are no blind spots in your defense. The factor I'm concerned with is the speed and reliability of a given machine as the number of services running at one time rise. But, if you say it's worth it, I'll keep it on my computer.

Collapse -
You got it right.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / March 1, 2009 9:59 PM PST
In reply to: Good point

This is not an antivirus application. It's a small thing to stop autorun (with options, choices) so you can stop a new attack vector.

-> Back to point. Will you be dropping your firewall because your antivirus will catch it?

Bob

Collapse -
No
by dirtee1 / March 1, 2009 10:38 PM PST
In reply to: You got it right.

Don't firewalls serve a different function?

Collapse -
Once you peel back the layers.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / March 1, 2009 10:44 PM PST
In reply to: You got it right.

A firewall stops the attack from the get go.
This new tool stops the attack from the get go.

Sounds oddly similar.
Bob

Collapse -
You do mention "trying out different BIOS configs" ...
by Edward ODaniel / March 1, 2009 3:11 AM PST

but nothing about whether or not you have been to the manufacturer's site (or the motherboard manufacturer's site if it is not a branded computer) to see about BIOS updates.

I can tell you that what you are seeing is EXACTLY (except for the size of the drive seen which I can't remember offhand but seem to remember was somewhere around 500 megabytes) what an old DELL Latitude C640 did when attempting to upgrade to a 160 GB drive UNTIL I updated the BIOS to gain the support for large drives.

Now on the other hand, if instead of 32 megabytes you meant 32 gigabytes then I would ask if by chance you are trying to format the drive as FAT 32 in which case the 32 GB does sound right as Win 2K and Win XP cannot natively format any partition larger than 32 GB as FAT 32.

Collapse -
Bios is up to date
by dirtee1 / March 1, 2009 10:05 AM PST

Thanks, I didn't mention I flashed the BIOS with the latest non-beta driver. Still no dice. Figures, the motherboard is only 2 years old.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?