Storage forum

Question

WD 3TB & SEAGATE 4TB "NEED TO FORMAT"

by tsete7 / November 23, 2014 2:43 AM PST

The above mentioned drives have files on them that more than likely will be erased if I reformat them. The drives are 1 year old and 4 months old respectively. Both say that formatting is needed before I can use them. Also, the 4TB Seagate drive reveals a message "F:\\is not accessible.Data error(cyclic redundancy check)" & "Location not found". No such messages arise from the 3TB WD. Is there any way to recover the files without reformatting as both have files that have been backed up to them? It seems to me if the drives allow for reformatting, there should be a way to access and copy the files wanted. In advance, I appreciate any and all assistance.

Ti Thompson
Sete Lagoas, Minas Gerais Brasil

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: WD 3TB & SEAGATE 4TB "NEED TO FORMAT"
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: WD 3TB & SEAGATE 4TB "NEED TO FORMAT"
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
More would have to be known.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 23, 2014 3:00 AM PST

There are many titles at the top of this forum but just last week a client was trying to use such drives on Windows XP. Let me be clear, they wanted it to work on "XP", not the XP with SP3 and patches. The only way I could get that to fly was to share them over a network. Maybe you have XP but I can't tell.

Externals can go missing for many reasons. It's why we keep a few backups.
Bob

Collapse -
Answer
Start by...
by Willy / November 24, 2014 3:41 AM PST

Disconnect one of the drives so you're dealing with only one 3 or 4tb alone. Then access it or work on the issue. If that seems to help, then go for it. I have no clue how they are mounted on your system, but see that having some huge drives and if properly formatted to begin with, I hope it was GPT mode, etc. On top fo this I ask that you check the status of each drive by using the makers own diags which usually they provide at the support website. However, that may not be 100% so with Hitachi or Samsung, because may own either as well, just use the direct approach for now. As pointed out by Robert, use the forum sticky to to link the helpful s/w that could resolve your issue. Take care not to over do it, a true problem may compound recovery effort as accessing it could furher corrept or seal it fate.

tada -----Willy Happy

Collapse -
Answer
Re: drivers
by Kees_B Forum moderator / November 24, 2014 4:13 AM PST

I'd first try on 2 other PC's with at least Windows 7. If they work nowhere, better do what they ask: format (migth give errors, then better throw them away).
If there's data on it that you have no other copy of (a bad idea to do that!) try the free or paid titles from the top posts of this forum. They might work to copy stuff to the hard disk inside your PC (a 7TB one?) or another external.

Kees

Collapse -
WD 3TB & SEAGATE 4TB "NEED TO FORMAT"
by tsete7 / November 25, 2014 12:06 AM PST
In reply to: Re: drivers

Thanks Kees_B for your suggestion yet that has been tried without success on the Seagate 4TB. BTW: 2 separate external drives. I have been able to access the WD3TB drive with some titles mentioned in the forums. Both external drives served as back ups to back up yet the Seagate has more recent backed up files that had not been transferred to the 3TB, as a question of redunancy. Any other suggestions would be greatly appreciated short of the exorbitant fees charged for industry data recovery firms.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

Does BMW or Volvo do it best?

Pint-size luxury and funky style

Shopping for a new car this weekend? See how the BMW X2 stacks up against the Volvo XC40 in our side-by-side comparison.