TVs & Home Theaters forum

General discussion

Watts off!

by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / May 24, 2007 6:01 AM PDT

Take a look at http://reviews.cnet.com/4520-6475_7-6400401-3.html?tag=nav

For you that are shopping for a new TV this table exposes an issue that many didn't care about a few years ago which is...

How many Watts does your TV eat while "off"?

Watts also telling is the Mitsubishi that many have discussed here takes 2nd place as the highest number of Watts drawn while the TV is "off."

Bob

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Watts off!
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Watts off!
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
thanks bob
by jostenmeat / May 24, 2007 7:26 AM PDT
In reply to: Watts off!

I think you posted this before, a while back. Now, what on earth does a tv need 50 watts for when its off?

Collapse -
The one with 75 Watts was even more amazing.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / May 24, 2007 7:32 AM PDT
In reply to: thanks bob

From what I have been told, it's the instant on feature.

Collapse -
Ohhhh
by jostenmeat / May 24, 2007 7:34 AM PDT

Does this imply that the tv is "wearing out" even when its never turned on?

I guess this *might* be worth it to some. I will say, that the 'tv input' signal from my Harmony remote never changes it on the unit, unless the tv has already warmed up and is ready...

Collapse -
Some unit's have a bulb..
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / May 24, 2007 8:59 AM PDT
In reply to: Ohhhh

You've heard of the issues with the Mitsubishi models. By it keeping the lamp lit, it's going to come on in seconds but you guessed correctly that you eat up the lifespan.

Bob

Collapse -
Instant on power consumption
by Zimminger / May 28, 2007 1:11 AM PDT

I can't believe nobody remembers why this happens. Back when tubes ruled, everything took time to warm up to operating temperature. It wasn't long, a minute at most, but we had more patience back then. Since a tube was being used as a half wave rectifier, someone figured out you could wire a diode in opposition to it across the power switch, which would keep it from powering high voltage but leave the tube filaments run on half power. Far from shortening the life of anything, it extended tube life because filaments didn't suffer the thermal shock of starting from cold. They probably still do it with CRT monitors although there's little reason now, because it takes more time for programming to load than it once took for tubes to warm up. But it still extends the tube life.

Collapse -
Oh snap...
by JermTOOL / May 28, 2007 3:02 PM PDT

Zimminger that was a nice one. These guy's were battling and you shut them right up. I like it. And boy are you correct. You're my idol. My damn idol. Thank you for giving me reason to read forums.

Collapse -
LOL
by jostenmeat / May 28, 2007 3:43 PM PDT
In reply to: Oh snap...

yes we must have been battling.

yes he shut us right up.

I thought it might be due to senility, but it says you are 19 yo.

Some of us, no, most of us, are consumers here. Never opened up a tv.

Stay off the drugs.

Collapse -
oh, a BB employee.
by jostenmeat / May 28, 2007 3:45 PM PDT
In reply to: LOL

Maybe that explains it.

Collapse -
Wow
by JermTOOL / May 29, 2007 3:02 AM PDT
In reply to: oh, a BB employee.

A BBY employee... that has nothing to do with anything. That was just a pointless jab at me that was totally irrelevant to what I said. I was messing around, I didn't know I would offend you, I didn't know you were emotional beyond a controllably extent. The posts look funny and you guys were going back and forth, then he said something, and nothing else was said. Looked funny. Get over it, and yes I'm 19, again that has nothing to do with anything, you're questioning me about my job and my age, it sounds like you had better question yourself first.

Collapse -
Not.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / May 28, 2007 11:24 PM PDT
In reply to: Oh snap...

Good stuff but today we should look at those standby power requirements.

My observation was that there is something going on with those Mitsubishi's. Just check this forum.

Bob

Collapse -
All vaccume tube TVs have been gone for over 35 years!
by jcrobso / May 29, 2007 2:26 AM PDT

Before the "instant on" feature it would take 2 or 3 min for a all vacuum tube TV to show a picture. Of course electricity was a lot cheaper back then also.
When TVs went solid state the only tube left was the CRT and with only one filament to keep warm it was not very costly.
Thats why if you going out of town for a couple of weeks just unplug the TV to save a few $$.
You are correct about the thermal shock, think about incandescent lights 90% of the time they fail when they are turned on. I replaced the light switches with dimmers so when I turn the lights on the voltage increases over a couple of seconds, the lamps last longer.
There is no reason why in lamped HDTVs that slow on circuit could be used to slowly increase the voltage to lamp over a 10~20 second time frame, this would extend the lamp life and NOT use a lot of watts in standby mode. John

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?