Audio & Video Software forum

General discussion

Watching Video Files on CD

I have some video files (MPEG,AVI etc.) that I want to burn and store on a CD instead of storing locally on my HD. I hope to be able to watch these CDs when inserted into a DVD player. Should I simply burn the file on a CD? (such as the simple Windows Burn Wizard) Or, should I use a program to help encode the file differently to watch on DVD player? Does it really matter in how the file will play outside of use with the computer. (DVD player) I do have Nero. I don't know if makes a difference in the files in how they are burned onto the CD?

Thank You

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Watching Video Files on CD
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Watching Video Files on CD
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
The format used on playable, video CDs is VERY low in

In reply to: Watching Video Files on CD

resolution. That is why they aren't used much anymore for video.

If you want good quality, you need to burn to a DVD. To do that, you need an 'authoring' program that knows how to package the files used on a DVD. The Nero Suite product, I think it is Ultra Suite, has this ability although it is a bit limited when compared to more powerful programs such as Sony's DVD Architect.

Collapse -
resolution

In reply to: The format used on playable, video CDs is VERY low in

But how does putting the file on a DVD change the quality of it in comparison to a CD? If the file is a certain size etc. the DVD isn't going to make it look any better than what it already is... right? I thought the simple reason for going to DVD over CD is the size, which of course leads to the ability to put a "much better looking file" (better quality, larger) on a single disc and display a better picture.

Collapse -
We maybe thinking of different things here.

In reply to: resolution

An avi file such as divx will be the same on cd as dvd disc, which can be played with a divx player. An mpeg1 (vcd) can be played on most dvd player but it cannot be formated as a dvd; dvd format require mpeg2 and mpeg2 has better resolution than mpeg1 (in general).

Collapse -
ok...

In reply to: We maybe thinking of different things here.

so can an AVI be formatted to MPEG1 to play on a VCD?

...and once you have the file MPEG1, do you simply burn it onto a CD (Windows Burn Wizard etc.) or do you have to burn it a certain way to make it a VCD?

Thanks

Collapse -
No, most standalone players...

In reply to: ok...

will not play mpeg files; You see applications mention here such as Sony vegas, ulead movie factory/studio, and Nero6/7 ultra; all these program will help you create the vcd or dvd. I might comment that because dvd discs are so cheap now I don't think people bother to create vcd anymore (at least I don't).

Collapse -
yea..

In reply to: No, most standalone players...

I have Nero and I used the VCD option but it was making the file too large. It fit perfect on the CD before formatting, but whatever has to be done to make a VCD was making it a couple hundred megs larger. What exactly goes into the VCD formatting?

Collapse -
I don't know what is happening...

In reply to: yea..

but the overhead for making vcd shouldn't be that high (200mb?). Maybe 20mb is more like it.

Collapse -
I replaced my DVD player with this wallymart unit. Link.

In reply to: Watching Video Files on CD

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

SMART HOME

This one tip will help you sleep better tonight

A few seconds are all you need to get a better night's rest.