General discussion

Watching TV on laptop

Hey guys, I wanted to know what the best way to go about watching tv on my laptop is.

Basically, what I want to do now that baseball season is on, is be able to play video games while also having the baseball game on. I used to do it with my old desktop cause it had a tuner card with a/v inputs but the laptop doesn't have that.

Would the below work? I'm assuming I would just connect this to the back of the cable box and plug it into the usb port on my cpu?

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002U6KT8U/ref=s9_simh_gw_p23_i1?pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_s=center-2&pf_rd_r=07QEDSA24ZS0X1F1ENYY&pf_rd_t=101&pf_rd_p=470938631&pf_rd_i=507846

Discussion is locked
Follow
Reply to: Watching TV on laptop
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: Watching TV on laptop
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
Should work.

But be aware that your cable company may not put the content on your cable connection or require play through their cable box which would stop this from being a solution.

You didn't reveal what laptop and why you didn't go with Hauppaugge. but if it's an older Vista laptop and price is an issue try http://www.fatwallet.com/forums/expired-deals/997201/
Bob

- Collapse -
cpu

sorry I forgot to include the info.

I have a Toshiba A505-S6967 laptop with Windows 7.

- Collapse -
specs

Sorry. I have Toshiba A505-6965 laptop with Windows 7 and my cable system is Verizon Fios.

- Collapse -
so...

would this buying one of these tuners work to solve the problem?

- Collapse -
Looking at the problems (it's plural.)

1. The content may be encrypted.

No, these cards won't help here.

2. Windows 7.

Just be sure they list this OS.

3. Comment.
These do work but sometimes an owner forgets the content protection issues.
Bob

CNET Forums

Forum Info