TVs & Home Theaters forum

General discussion

Watching movies with 1.33 aspect ratio on 16:9 HDTV

I have a technical question about watching DVDs with a 1.33 aspect ratio on a 16:9 HDTV. I picked up my first HDTV last night; it's the Panasonic 42" 720p plasma (TH-42PX80U). Trying out various DVDs from my collection, I've noticed that those that were originally shot at a 1.33 aspect ratio (old movies and some television shows) appear to look fine when I select the "Full" aspect ratio mode of my TV, but when I select the 4:3 mode, I actually lose some of the image! The Full mode is the only one that displays all the picture, even though the original film or television series was shot at 1.33 (or 1.37 Academy ratio). Is this standard for all anamorphic DVD releases of 4:3 material? The picture doesn't appear too distorted when I watch it in Full mode, but I'm also worried that I'm not viewing it at the "correct" 1.33 aspect ratio. Movies that I've tested so far include Casablanca and Carnival of Souls.

Basically, I'm just not sure if I've calibrated my TV properly to view films with a 1.33 aspect ratio. I tried using the Lucasfilm THX optimizer (included on several of my DVDs) and indeed, when the test image came up for a 4:3 display, the edges were cut off. However, by returning my TV to Full mode, the edges were restored. All of this is with a standard HDMI cable, by the way. My DVD player is a Sony DVP-NS75H, which upconverts to 1080i/720p if connected via HDMI. I've set the "4:3 Output" setting in the Screen Settings menu to "Full," which the manual says to do "if you can change the aspect ratio on your TV," which of course my Panasonic can.

I've emailed Panasonic and asked them if there may be a problem, but thought some of you may have the technical expertise to offer some insight. I found plenty of information online about fitting 2.35 and 1.85 aspect ratios onto both 4:3 and 16:9 TVs, but nothing about the proper transfer of 1.33 aspect ratios to a 16:9 screen. Are there that few people interested in watching old movies in their proper aspect ratio? Anyway, any insight or advice you can offer would be much appreciated. Thanks!

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Watching movies with 1.33 aspect ratio on 16:9 HDTV
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Watching movies with 1.33 aspect ratio on 16:9 HDTV
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

GIVEAWAY

Enter to win* a free holiday tech gift!

CNET's giving five lucky winners the gift of their choice valued up to $250!