General discussion

Watching movies through USB Flash?

I have a netbook that I would like to watch movies on. I wonder if it's possible to do so if I copy the original files from the DVD to the flash memory. I have a lot of movies and travel much and bring my netbook. Can I watch them through the flash or do I need an external DVD reader?

Thank you.

Discussion is locked

Follow
Reply to: Watching movies through USB Flash?
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: Watching movies through USB Flash?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
The easiest thing to do.

1. Make an iso-image of the DVD.
2. Copy that image to your USB-stick.
3. Load that image as a virtual drive.
4. Play with your favorite player from that virtual drive.

Software you'll need:
a. A program to make an iso-file of a DVD.
b. A program to load an iso-file as a virtual drive.
c. A program that can play DVD's.

If nobody else comes with an even easier recommendation, I'll provide some links to programs for a and b tomorrow. Unless, of course, you reply that you already have such programs.

There's one issue, though: a 4.7 GB DVD won't fit on a FAT32 formatted USB-stick. So you'll have to use a NTFS formatted stick. Or find a way to transfer the file to the harddisk of your netbook (via an Ethernet connection or an external hard disk).

Kees

- Collapse -
I was thinking...

just copying the original files from the DVD to the stick... Isn't that possible? I do have DAEMON which makes a virtual drive, but it's be easier to just have the movie on the stick while traveling... If not possible, I have to do it the way you said...

Thanks.

- Collapse -
That's easy to check, isn't it?

All you need is a DVD, your desktop and a USB-stick. Please tell the outcome of the experiment.

It could well be, indeed, that there are players that recognize the folder structure and the contents if you point them to the root folder of what you copied. But just as well, a player might only search for DVD-drives on your system and not let you browse to a folder on some hard-drive or USB-stick.

Worth a try, however. And nothing lost if it doesn't work. On the contrary, knowledge gained.

Kees

- Collapse -
But if it doesn't work, then...

try "Imgburn" to make the iso-image; and use VLC media player to play the iso. Good luck.

- Collapse -
Copyright Protection Usually Prevents Direct Copy Of Files

Most often, for commercial DVD's, you can't simply copy the files to disc or create an ISO image of the files directly from the DVD..

And since it's against forum policies to discuss ways to break copyright protection, you'll need to look for a ripper on your own.

Hope this helps.

Grif

- Collapse -
In my case it's all legal...

The movies I have are all legal and the copyright belongs to people that gave them to me.

- Collapse -
So They Aren't Commercial DVD Movies Bought At A Store?

Did those "people that gave them" to you CREATE those movies?

Just curious.

Grif

- Collapse -
Possible

It is possible as long as you have a dvd player software installed in your notebook...

- Collapse -
Let's skip to the solution.

Since you claim these are free of restrictions the solution is easy. And the solution is free.

1. IMGBURN from the DVD to the .ISO file.
2. Play the .ISO file with VLC PLAYER on the netbook.

Be aware that most netbooks don't have the oomph (power) to play full screen.
Bob

CNET Forums

Forum Info