TVs & Home Theaters forum

Question

Watching movies from hard drive on TV

by Chewbaccax / February 19, 2015 6:28 PM PST

Hi

I'm looking to get something for my dad to watch movies on a portable hard drive. most of the time it will be a large 4tb seagate drive or possibly a smaller usb some times.

I did get chromecast before I realised that it needed to be hooked into the network (so effectively having the drive plugged into laptop)

I've used a Sumvison Cylcone for a few years and was ok apart from the poor remote. This doesn't seem to work with a 5TB Seagate drive. Is that because it's a very large drive or a USB 3 issue?

I saw Sumvision Micro 4 recommended on Amazon. I assume this will work in same way as my existing Cylcone ie plug in the hard drive and off you go no hooking upto network.

Any views from owners or alternative recommended products?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Watching movies from hard drive on TV
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Watching movies from hard drive on TV
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
Clariifcation
by Chewbaccax / February 19, 2015 6:30 PM PST

It would be useful if it worked with a non wired USB on ocassion as well (like my existing cyclone)

Collapse -
Answer
how I did it
by renegade600 / February 19, 2015 7:26 PM PST

just going to tell you how I did it. maybe it will help or at least give you some ideas. I have a netgear router that has a usb port. I plugged a usb hub into it and four external 1 tb harddrives into it. Netgear has readyshare so the movies can be accessed no matter where I am at in the world or computer/device I am on. It is like my own little cloud service.

Collapse -
Answer
Drive likely too big/unsupported
by Pepe7 / February 19, 2015 11:47 PM PST

That's the issue most of the time, especially with the rather generic Chinese media streamer boxes like that one. Move into some of the more name brand streamers, and you might start to see support for larger drives. YMMV.

It sounds like you do need a local connection given your reference to an external connected to an HDTV. For this reason, you should consider utilizing smaller drives of 2TB or less, so you have a greater chance of it being supported natively by the streamer (or a Windows box, even). How about 2x 2TB drives connected at the same time? I have never actively used two USB drives simultaneously with my WDTV Live streamer box, but I believe it should be possible. Why not test the Cyclone?

Collapse -
Answer
Try something a little better.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 20, 2015 3:29 AM PST

Go find reviews on the WD TV. For me I'm holding out for the Intel Stick.
Bob

Collapse -
There are 'reviews' and...
by Pepe7 / February 21, 2015 4:00 AM PST

....there are those of us who have very few issues with it since we have other devices to fill in any 'gaps' as such.
Some of us realists understand that it's not a full fledged PC(!)

Do you actually own a WDTV Live, Bob(?) Understand, anyone could comment on a product by simply stating 'go find reviews <aka look at the poor reviews> on xxx'. Not exactly helpful from a moderator, wouldn't you agree? Wink

Collapse -
(NT) No.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 21, 2015 4:21 AM PST
Collapse -
hmm
by James Denison / February 21, 2015 4:23 AM PST
In reply to: No.

I must have shook my computer and some words fell off. Wink

Collapse -
Can we get back on track....
by Chewbaccax / February 21, 2015 6:06 AM PST

I don't think I'm asking for anything complicated really...I've had a Cyclone device for a few years and it worked grand apart from the lousy temperamental remote...

My old harddrive 500gb broke recently and I mind my 5tv seagate doesnt work with it but a 128gb usb stick does

I want something simple for my dad ... I tried chromecast and ddint realise it needed to be hooked upto network/laptop to use.... so I want a simple solution where I can plug in a bog standard hard drive probably 4tb to a device that can pick movies from the drive.. that's it...

I could go out and get the latest Sumvision Cyclone (micro 4?) but it would be nice if someone can say is this good it there anything better?

Collapse -
So far, I'd pick the WDTV over Chromecast or Cyclone.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 21, 2015 6:23 AM PST

But if you feel your Cyclone was OK and a new one with it's remote works, why not? I can't find such to borrow to try out. Here we play with WDTV, AppleTV, Roku's, PC's and such.
Bob

Collapse -
Thanks
by Chewbaccax / February 21, 2015 7:31 AM PST

Yea if SumvisionCyclone Micro 4 works with 4tb Seagate and the remote is better than old version it will probably do. I was just wondering if there were alternatives as I will need something new myself and wondered what else was out t here that was comparable.

Collapse -
What's comparable is...
by Pepe7 / February 21, 2015 11:04 PM PST
In reply to: Thanks

...usually one or more of the other 'clones' of this type of device, all made in China- often with similar chipsets under the hood. When you start buying the less supported ones, it's mostly trial and error since there isn't always any authority as to which drives are necessarily supported, etc.

Start by seeing what the manufacturer's support site says about drive support of 4TB drives (really, drives > 2TB).

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

Does BMW or Volvo do it best?

Pint-size luxury and funky style

Shopping for a new car this weekend? See how the BMW X2 stacks up against the Volvo XC40 in our side-by-side comparison.