TVs & Home Theaters forum

Question

Watching HD files using the TV

by poznia / May 19, 2015 4:06 AM PDT

Hi guys,

I want to see my 1080p HD files on my television and I've been looking for ways to do that.

Sniffing around the web I see that there too many ways to do that Happy as far as I understand those are the approches which are possible. however I'm not sure what to use and what is the best to my needs in terms of quality, convenience and price:

1. connecting my computer to the television using an HDMI cable and some sort of a sound cable - Although it should work, it's the less convenient method in my opinion.
2. connecting an portable hard drive directly to the television - will it work? will it be able to read those HD files in a reasonable quality?
3. using some kind of a streamer such as roku.. cheap, convinient but not sure about quality.
4. using a mini desktop such as revo one (http://www.cnet.com/products/acer-revo-one/). think it will give me the best quality, it's very convenience but the price is high (I will be glad to pay it if it's worth it)

What is your suggestion?

Thanks.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Watching HD files using the TV
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Watching HD files using the TV
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
Try the WD Live TV
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / May 19, 2015 4:19 AM PDT

You can catch it on sale or recertified at http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00FHREVBK/ref=cnet

While it's not as nimble as a PC, it's not as costly and plays, well, a lot of stuff.

As to the HDD to the TV if you read prior discussions you see folk whining about have to re-encode to what the TV supports. So here's from worst to best decoder support. Smart TV (bad), WD Live (good), PC (as expected, can decode almost anything as we can get more decoders as needed.)

1. When I connect my computer to the TV with HDMI, the HDMI carries sound too.
2. Forget quality. Most folk blow up on impact when they discover how poor these TVs are in decoding skills. It's not entirely the makers fault. For example look at why VLC Player avoided the patent trolls.
3. Nod to the WD TV Live. I have the Roku 3 and not even close.
4. There are going to be and are many new 199 buck and lower computers like this. "Dell launches Windows-powered Inspiron Micro Desktop, starts at $179" which should do 1080p fine but it's 100 bucks more than my WDTV.

Hope this helps,
Bob

Collapse -
thanks for that
by poznia / May 19, 2015 5:01 AM PDT
In reply to: Try the WD Live TV
Collapse -
Yes it's good at playing from the HDD on my router.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / May 19, 2015 5:07 AM PDT
In reply to: thanks for that

Because of the extra load on the router I have to retest my setup. The old router was a TP Link C7. The new is a dual core powered C9. Yes, it's better at doing more, but need to re-test the HDD setup for speed, etc.

Why I like this is that I can set it all up on my PC and play it later on the WD TV Live. And yes, HDDs on the network are sluggish but plenty fast enough for playback.
Bob

Collapse -
Answer
I can play HD video files on my Smart TV
by emma24xia / May 26, 2015 4:14 PM PDT

In the first place, I cannot play HD files either, it indicates the media file cannot be supported. I have no idea what happened, and my friend mentioned it is probably related to video type, and I need save the video file to TV accepted format like MP4. From now on, I can play all my HD videos on my Samsung Smart TV. BTW, I use Pavtube ultimate for video transcoding in case you wanna know.

Collapse -
Not the entire story, but...
by Pepe7 / May 28, 2015 1:01 AM PDT

...glad to hear you discovered the correct codec/container that works on your particular HDTV. But I have learned that finding a reliable media player is a lot less work(!)

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

GIVEAWAY

We are giving away 'Black Panther' swag!

Four lucky readers will be taking home *Marvel*ous "Black Panther" prizes, including magazines autographed by the King of Wakanda himself! Giveaway ends Feb. 25, 2018.