HolidayBuyer's Guide

TVs & Home Theaters forum

Question

Watch Cable TV on HP NC6000 Laptop

by jainagray / October 12, 2011 6:30 AM PDT

The TV in my home office is defunct. I would like to find a way to watch cable TV on my HP NC6000 laptop. I had something similar in my desktop, which now is defunct as well, and it let me watch TV on a small window regardless of what app (word processing, spreadsheet, etc.) I was using. I was wondering if a USB TV tuner would work in a similar way.

Something like this:

KWorld USB ATSC TV Stick (UB435-Q) - ATSC HDTV / QAM receiver - Hi-Speed USB - External

If not this one, can someone suggest another? I would like to spend about $25.00. Is that possible?

OS is Windows XP. I also have a Windows 7 netbook, so I'd like a tuner that would work with both.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Watch Cable TV on HP NC6000 Laptop
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Watch Cable TV on HP NC6000 Laptop
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Clarification Request
You have one question for your Cable guy.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / October 13, 2011 4:02 AM PDT

"Do I need a cable decoder box or can I watch it on my HD digital ready TV?"

Collapse -
I Think It Doesn't Matter
by jainagray / October 14, 2011 3:08 AM PDT

Hi,

The tuner I'm thinking about says it works with both analog and digital cable. I won't be using a TV, just a Windows XP Pro laptop, and a Windows 7 netbook.

I called the cable company, and they said that their converter box is digital, but their signal is analog. I do not have a converter box in the my home office, so I'll be plugging the tuner into a USB port, and then plugging the analog cable into the tuner. Do you think that the tuner in the link below would work? It's diffferent from the one I mentioned in my first post. It's on the CompUSA website:

MyGica U6012B USB TV Tuner Stick - USB 2.0, ATSC QAM, FM Tuner MPN: U6012B

So, do I need further info from my cable provider?

TIA

Jaina

Collapse -
Sounds like it's ready.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / October 14, 2011 3:14 AM PDT

If a HDTV can decode the signal then these cards or sticks can too.
Bob

Collapse -
Thanks So Much
by jainagray / October 16, 2011 2:41 AM PDT

Hi,

I do appreciate your help, and always come here to CNET to get the best and most reliable info. So now I can work and watch my favorite shows on Food Network, using the excuse of gleaning info about what to make for dinner. LOL. Thanks, again. Oh, and if I don't like Food Network, I always can swi tch to QVC! Hahaha.

Seriously, I hope this info helps other who would like to do the same thing. I'll try to remember to post the results once I get the tuner and software installed.

Regards,

Jaina

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

The Samsung RF23M8090SG

One of the best French door fridges we've tested

A good-looking fridge with useful features like an auto-filling water pitcher and a temperature-adjustable "FlexZone" drawer. It was a near-flawless performer in our cooling tests.