Speakeasy forum

General discussion

Washington Dog Phones 911 for Fallen Owner...

by Blake Cook / October 29, 2004 5:03 PM PDT

I love these dog stories...

Washington Dog Phones 911 for Fallen Owner

RICHLAND, Wash. (AP) - Faith the service dog phoned 911 when her owner fell out of her wheelchair and barked urgently into the receiver until a dispatcher sent help. Then the 4-year-old Rottweiler unlocked the front door so the responding police officer could come in.

"I sensed there was a problem on the other end of the 911 call," said dispatcher Jenny Buchanan, who answered the call from Faith.

"The dog was too persistent in barking directly into the phone receiver," Buchanan said at Benton County's Southeast Communications Center. "I knew she was trying to tell me something."

More...

Happy

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Washington Dog Phones 911 for Fallen Owner...
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Washington Dog Phones 911 for Fallen Owner...
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re: 911 for Fallen Owner...
by jonah jones / October 29, 2004 5:24 PM PDT

strange how 911 is automatically (in my case at least, as one who dials 100/101/102 for police/ambulance/fire) associated with 9/11... your header takes on a whole 'new' twist as i read the post...

Collapse -
A Coincidence???
by Blake Cook / October 29, 2004 5:34 PM PDT

911 was the emergency phone number in most US cities and states long before 9/11 occurred. It is a coincidence that it worked out that they share this number. Or is it???

Happy

Collapse -
or is it, indeed! they are big on symbolism
by netsky / October 29, 2004 6:27 PM PDT
In reply to: A Coincidence???

and implied threat.

ah, but you were talking about the incredible empathy of dogs...

a nice story!

i caught the tail end of the story on UPN33. the owner saying 'he is trained to recognize uniformed officers, and so he unlocked the door for the policman'

(she said or the narrator said, not sure, i was sleepy)

however to lend credence to the story her rescuing policeman stood there at her side at the press conference.

She adds that her seizure condition is ALWAYS 'smelled' by the dog in advance of her blacking out.

It just gets more and more schpooky! (clara rockmore pronounciation)

which now reminds me of the gray ghost Weimeraner ***** that 'raised' me as a child. Spooky.

When she died it was a tender event for us all. She was sick, evidently ill one morning, for the first time in her life. Rigidly stiff in the belly. Dad said she is wanting to have her "puppies" and parents all together. He gathered her in his arms and laid her in the easy chair in the cypress-paneled den room of our house; his fathers house. Spooky's favorite chair- always denied her in health was now hers for comfort and to put her at eye level with her three "kids" and my mom and dad all gathered round and touching her with soft carresses. Even as we willed the life to stay within her it seemed to flow out by our contacts and go i know not where. But by degrees. shushhh... she is leaving now said my dad. and just so quietly, inside of twenty minutes she was gone from there. summer of 69 might as well be ten minutes ago.

dogs.

Collapse -
Very touching, netsky, thanks for sharing.
by W2X3XP / October 30, 2004 5:48 AM PDT

I hope there was some healing in the telling.

Collapse -
Re: Very touching, netsky, thanks for sharing.
by netsky / October 30, 2004 9:04 AM PDT

thanks, but every one of us who has lost a family member of whatever kind of flesh knows that telling the tale does not aid healing. It only brings back the very essence of what was felt.

hence i closed saying it felt like ten minutes ago instead of 35 years.

THIS is why few people can bear to relate their own stories of personal loss. It hurts to relive the event, forever. But the tears I leaked again at thinking of a lost "mom" were pretty good therapy: for me the tears are all OK and have a -good- effect that countermands the mere re-living of a sad morning.

Someday i'll tell about my dad's death. More for the funeral value than to cry over him again. No one here has had an experience burying a parent like i shall tell. No one in this society alive today, that is. That's why the story is worth relating because it is of another era entirely.

Collapse -
Re: Washington Dog Phones 911 for Fallen Owner...
by MKay / October 30, 2004 1:37 AM PDT

I was wondering if maybe they could train these dogs using the Equipment for the deaf maybe eliminating some time or the possibility some 911 opr will hang up.

Collapse -
I wish I were an artist ...
by Bill Osler / October 30, 2004 2:33 AM PDT

I have this vision of Lassie at a keyboard "calling" for help.

Which reminds me in a weird way of the CLASSIC New Yorker cartoon "Lassie, get help!" Unfortunately, I can't find a legible image of the cartoon to link to. Sad

Collapse -
Re: lol! a "classic" it is...
by jonah jones / October 30, 2004 2:49 AM PDT
Collapse -
Re: lol! a "classic" it is...
by Dave Konkel [Moderator] / October 30, 2004 3:13 AM PDT

Hi, Jonah.

As the man said, not legible Sad

-- Dave K, Speakeasy Moderator
click here to email semods4@yahoo.com

The opinions expressed above are my own,
and do not necessarily reflect those of CNET!

Collapse -
For any who haven't seen the cartoon ...
by Bill Osler / October 30, 2004 3:38 AM PDT

The link Jonah posted is the best one I found, but unfortunately you really cannot tell what's going on in that image unless you already know about the cartoon. Oh well. I can at least describe it.

There are two vertical panels in the cartoon. On the left, Timmie is drowning and he calls out "Lassie! Get help!!" On the right, Lassie is on a psychiatrist's couch gesturing (presumably talking) while the psychiatrist listens.

Collapse -
Right Bill, I loved that cartoon too.
by Ziks511 / October 30, 2004 9:08 AM PDT

Master sinking in quicksand orders "Lassie, get help!"

Next panel, Lassie on psychiatrist's couch.

ROTFL for days

Rob Boyter

Collapse -
The dog, in a later interview, revealed it was an ardent Ker
by Ziks511 / October 30, 2004 5:40 AM PDT

Kerry supporter, but would have been happier if Kerry had actually been a Kerry Blue Terrier. The dog also said it knew what Bushes were good for.

Yours in mirth, merriment and malice

Rob Boyter

Collapse -
ROTFLOL.
by W2X3XP / October 30, 2004 5:45 AM PDT

Made my day.

Thanks

Collapse -
Glad to be of service
by Ziks511 / October 30, 2004 6:01 AM PDT
In reply to: ROTFLOL.

Said the lift door made by the Sirius Cybernetics Corp.

Any one out there know The Hitch-Hiker's Guide to the Galaxy? For those who do there's a third or Tertiary Phase available from http://www.amazon.co.uk

Rob Boyter

Marvin's younger, slightly more depressed brother.

Collapse -
by W2X3XP / October 30, 2004 5:59 AM PDT

I also love these dog stories, Blake. I am constantly amazed at what dogs can be trained to do for the people that have been put into their care.

Interesting ... that part where Beasley says Faith wouldn't let her out of her sight, she wanted to be tuchy-feely.

Collapse -
by Chorus-Line A1-QMS / October 30, 2004 8:22 AM PDT
Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

Does BMW or Volvo do it best?

Pint-size luxury and funky style

Shopping for a new car this weekend? See how the BMW X2 stacks up against the Volvo XC40 in our side-by-side comparison.