Speakeasy forum

General discussion

Was this really a surprise?

by TONI H / January 21, 2005 11:29 PM PST

The only two who voted against Rice were Kerry and Boxer........she'll still be appointed next week, but this is really a smack in the face and speaks volumes again about Kerry's concession speech about getting back to working together. But at least he's showing up for work for a change.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Was this really a surprise?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Was this really a surprise?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Boxer was despicable in her 'questioning' of Rice
by Evie / January 21, 2005 11:38 PM PST

The first round of which didn't even involve any questions.

Somebody has GOT to reign in these confirmation hearings, and I don't care who "started it", this soapbox lecturing of appointees by Senators puffing up their egos and/or advancing their agendas has GOT to STOP!

And now we have Robert KKK Byrd holding up her confirmation. One can't get past the notion that there is at least a little residual racism involved here. Even if his motives are not racial, I doubt the Democrats really need him holding up her inevitable confirmation.

Kerry is still protesting Wink

Evie Happy

Collapse -
The Dems do have their newest shining star; the junior
by Kiddpeat / January 21, 2005 11:48 PM PST

Senator from Illinois who is black. I wonder why they didn't use him?

Collapse -
The short interview I saw on Oprah the other day
by TONI H / January 22, 2005 12:00 AM PST

as well as others seen recently, he is impressive at this point and if the Dems put him up as a candidate later on, he could be the one to watch out for. If the Dems have any hope at all of getting a decent candidate in the running, they better be seriously looking at this guy. We just have to make sure we get his name right.....it's not an easy one to remember.

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) Im not that impressed.
by Dragon / January 22, 2005 12:15 PM PST
Collapse -
(NT) (NT) and Kerry's BS seems like sore lose syndrome
by Mark5019 / January 22, 2005 12:01 AM PST
Collapse -
They all work for me
by David Evans / January 22, 2005 3:44 AM PST

They'll never catch on, they're much too sophisticated and far too smart for that, lol, but they're all working for me. The harder they try, the more valuable they become as my employees. They all work for free, and they're 100% loyal, yuk yuk yuk!

This is sooooooo easy!

I need only one more employee for now: let me hire Howard Dean as the Big Cheese of the DNC, BWAHAHAHA!

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) Might we be looking at the 2008 ticket? ;-)
by Steven Haninger / January 21, 2005 11:40 PM PST
Collapse -
That was my first impression as I watched
by TONI H / January 21, 2005 11:48 PM PST

the bombardment going on from Boxer. Kerry wants to run on his military background as a protestor who wishes to protect our military and needs somebody 'strong' enough to get down and dirty nasty so he looks good rather than a pretty face who hasn't got anything else going for him like Edwards. Good cop/bad cop routine for his next platform?

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) If so, he's dreaming ala Al Gore.
by Kiddpeat / January 21, 2005 11:49 PM PST
Collapse -
(NT) (NT) Never forget: that's Al "I invented the internet" Gore
by David Evans / January 22, 2005 12:39 AM PST
Collapse -
kerrys millitary background lost him the election
by Mark5019 / January 22, 2005 12:02 AM PST

when will they learn

Collapse -
Kerry doesn't believe that
by TONI H / January 22, 2005 12:16 AM PST

his military background lost it for him, mark. If he runs again, it won't be as much 'in your face' as it started off with in this past campaign, but he honestly doesn't believe that he hurt the very people he protested against because in his eyes and mind he protested the war itself.......and the consequences of his personal protesting as an officer in the military were of little importance to him. He was making a name for himself and building a history that he would use towards his goaled agenda.

He has no Senatorial history to be proud of either, so no matter whether he runs again or not, he will fade into the background because the Dems won't be quite so stupid the next time around and will (I would hope) back a candidate with a better track record.

I believe that it was Kerry's political history that did him in at the end more so than his military record because the media stopped covering anything to do with his military record. The people realized he just couldn't be trusted enough when you put all the pieces together in that puzzle that he threw up in the air. In the final days before the election it was Kerry who went on for days about the missing weapons......when there weren't any missing in the amounts he was screaming about.....and the people realized this was a guy wanting to lead the country who was going off half-cocked and shooting from the hip with blanks (no facts to back it up).

Kerry is the one who shot himself in the foot over and over and over......but just can't admit to it.....and the possibility of having his wife as First Lady was too damned scary to even consider as a reality.

Collapse -
by David Evans / January 22, 2005 12:57 AM PST

> Kerry is the one who shot himself in the foot over and over and over......but just can't admit to it.....and the possibility of having his wife as First Lady was too damned scary to even consider as a reality.

Very scary potential first ladies? You mean this one?

Pass the garlic, holy water, silver bullets, and wooden stakes.

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) Kerrys the republicans best friend
by Mark5019 / January 22, 2005 3:54 AM PST
Collapse -
Well said Toni
by SteveGargini / January 23, 2005 1:24 PM PST

Studying the situation from over here, I think what you say is exactly why things got messed up.
People like the Kennedys' were upright, and carried a good message to the american public, something that Kerry failed dismally to do.

Popular Forums
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
Laptops 21,181 discussions
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
Phones 17,137 discussions
Security 31,287 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?