Samsung forum

General discussion

Warranty Problems

by JanBic / January 15, 2009 11:33 AM PST

Please help. I have a broken LCD but it WAS NOT caused by impact or any other physical handling.
I purchased a LN40A630 at the beginning of November '08. It had a wonderful picture and great features that I have come to expect from Samsung (I also own a 30" CRT HD tv from Samsung). On January 1st, while I was watching tv, I heard a loud pop and the LCD showed a spiderweb pattern. Nothing touched the tv,No extreme temperature changes occurred, Nothing in the room enviroment changed. I can only speculate that the LCD matrix had a weak spot that finally failed. I have seen this happen on LCD computer monitors.

Unforunately, neither Samsung nor hhgreg are inclined to provide any kind of warranty service. The assumption seems to be that if the LCD is cracked from a single point then it must be impact damage. Technicians from two different authorized service centers have examined the set and declared that there is absolutely no external evidence of an impact.

Please help me resolve this problem. Thank you.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Warranty Problems
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Warranty Problems
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Hmm
by clicq / January 15, 2009 12:19 PM PST
In reply to: Warranty Problems

I'm surprised Samsung wouldn't repair it after technicians said there's no evidence of external impact.

Anyway, if you don't get a good response from Samsung, you might check the benefits of the credit card you used to buy it (if any)... some, like american express, cover theft and accidental damage for 90 days (though amex caps it at $1000, but better than nothing...).

Collapse -
Should have used a credit card
by JanBic / January 15, 2009 1:10 PM PST
In reply to: Hmm

Instead I used hhgreg's credit.

Evidently, if the damage radiates from a point, no matter what the cause, it is assumed to be from mishandling (i.e., impact). With no way to prove otherwise, I am at Samsung and hhgreg's mercy.

Collapse -
Review?
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / January 16, 2009 3:51 PM PST

If you have a service ticket number from Samsung, would you be willing to post it here?

--HDTech

Collapse -
Transaction number.
by JanBic / January 17, 2009 12:12 PM PST
In reply to: Review?

Thank you for your reply
Two very nice ladies at Executive Customer Relations are looking at this and I hope you can help as well.
Transaction Id # 3000187194.

Collapse -
ECR
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / January 19, 2009 10:10 AM PST
In reply to: Transaction number.

Janbic,

If you're already at ECR, they have more authority than I do and can ultimately make those decisions.

Keep me posted on how this progresses, please.

--HDTech

Collapse -
No joy
by JanBic / March 24, 2009 9:40 AM PDT
In reply to: ECR

After 2 months of getting the run around from ECR and being told 4 times "someone will call within 48 hours" and still not receiving a call, I find that they refuse to believe an LCD can break from any cause other than an impact. They still maintain that the LCD might be covered under some circumstances but cannot tell me of any conditions where the warranty would apply! I am still out 1300 dollars.

Collapse -
Follow up...
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / March 24, 2009 4:52 PM PDT
In reply to: No joy

JanBic,

I have sent in a request for them to follow up with an answer. I don't have influence in these decisions or what they decide, so the best thing to do is follow up with them directly.

--HDTech

Collapse -
Thank you
by JanBic / April 3, 2009 7:47 AM PDT
In reply to: Follow up...

Thank you for all of your help and support.
Despite being denied satifaction by ECR on the phone, I came home yesterday to an answering machine message stating I would receive a new TV in exchange. Today I received the email confirmation of this showing that my LN40A630 would be replaced with a new LN40B630 (a newer and better version.) This only took 3 months to the day from when my original set failed.
Thanks again.

Collapse -
Thank you
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / April 3, 2009 6:26 PM PDT
In reply to: Thank you

JanBic,

You're welcome. Please check back with me when you have your new set and let me know how it goes. I'm sorry that it took so long, but I'm glad you got a new (and updated) version of your television.

Keep me posted.

--HDTech

Collapse -
Finally satisfied
by JanBic / April 19, 2009 9:29 AM PDT
In reply to: Thank you

I have had my replacement set for 5 days now and it is working well. I had given up on Samsung and purchased a new set after waiting 3 months. Fortunately, I had kept the old tv hoping to fix it later when parts prices come down. I now have two tvs where I had only intended to have one. I am glad at least that Samsung finally did come through. It just should not be so difficult and time consuming.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 51,912 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,498 discussions
icon
Laptops 20,411 discussions
icon
Security 30,882 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 21,253 discussions
icon
Windows 10 1,672 discussions
icon
Phones 16,494 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,855 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 15,504 discussions

REVIEW

Meet the drop-resistant Moto Z2 Force

The Moto Z2 Force is really thin, with a fast processor and great battery life. It can survive drops without shattering.