Samsung forum

General discussion

Warranty

I have a Samsung refridgerator RS2533SW bought 5/14/2004 that needed repair. I called the preferred Samsung repair service as instructed, they checked it out and the problem was covered under the 5 year warranty for parts and labor. Why then did I have to pay $79.99 for the dianostic check? If it's covered for parts and labor, I would think that would cover the repair service labor to check out the problem! No where in the warranty does it state that I'm responsible for this charge. With other companies, I've NEVER had to pay anything when the problem was covered under warranty. Can you tell me why I do with Samsung?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Warranty
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Warranty
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Warranty

In reply to: Warranty

Joanne0130,

I am looking into this. Do you have a ticket or service number that would better help me reference this?

--HDTech

Collapse -
Service Number

I do have a service number# 4002743929. The repair service that came out did a good job and I don't have any complaints with them. Thank you for the quick response to my email. Joanne

Collapse -
Inquiry

In reply to: Service Number

I have submitted an inquiry as of this afternoon.

I'm a little confused on something. If I may inquire, who instructed you to call the repair service? I only ask because when people call 800-SAMSUNG and open a service ticket, the number generated should go directly to the service center in your area. The service center will usually call the customer to arrange the appointment once the warranty information has been confirmed, thereby knowing that the repair will be either billed to Samsung or paid out of pocket by the customer before knocking on your door.

If people call 800-SAMSUNG AFTER setting up an appointment with a repairman, the repairman (who would not be aware of the warranty) would charge you their normal rates. Is this what may have happened?

Have you contacted the service manager who performed your repair regarding this charge?

--HDTech

Collapse -
warranty

In reply to: Inquiry

I called Samsung first and they put in the request to the repair service. They also, gave me the service number 4002743929 and the repair service phone number at that time. I was told if I wasn't contacted by the repair service I was to give them a call. When I didn't receive a call from them by the next day I called them. When I was charged the 79.99, I called Samsung to ask about it and was told that although it was a covered repair under the 5 year warranty, the 1 year warranty had expired therefore I was responsible for the diagnostic charge of 79.99.

Collapse -
Okay, good info.

In reply to: warranty

I'll see what I can find out. Service is closed for the evening, but I will check back with them tomorrow to see if I can get an explanation.

Thanks for your patience.

--HDTech

Collapse -
(NT) Thank you

In reply to: Okay, good info.

Collapse -
Warranty

In reply to: Thank you

Joanne0130,

For obvious reasons, I'm not the authority on our appliance service warranty (that's our service department's specialty), so take my answer with somewhat of a grain of salt. I don't know what was fixed or which parts were affected, and I don't have access to those files directly.

That said, our products do carry a 1 year parts and labor warranty. The 5 year warranty applies to the refrigeration cooling system only (condensor, evaporator, drier, compressor and connecting tubing). That doesn't apply to broken electronics, buttons, shelves, handles, or pumps for the water dispensor - I THINK - but the motor and parts that cover the cooling function of the refrigerator. So if your repair was anything but what the 5-year part covers, you may have been charged for that.

The best person to inquire for a pointed exlanation would be the service technician that came to your house. If you want the warranty for reference, I can provide a link for that. The tech charged you, and should be able to justify why.

Link: (then type in your model number)
http://www.samsung.com/us/support/repairpolicy/servicePolicyWarrantyMain.do?group=homeappliances&type=refrigerators&subtype=&model_nm=&prd_ia_cd=&disp_nm=&mType=&dType=D&vType=R

Does that help? Let me know.

--HDTech

Collapse -
Already questioned the repair service

The evaporator assembly is what was wrong with the fridge. I wasn't charged for the parts or labor for the repair, but I did questioned the the repair tech when he was here at my home about the dianostic charge.I told him then I've never had to pay anything for a repair that was covered under a warranty. His answer to me was that Samsung would only cover the parts and labor for the repair of the evaporator assembly not the trip out to check out the problem. They are saying it's Samsung and your saying it's them. Correct me if I'm wrong, but your saying Samsung warranty should have covered the diagnostic charge because it was refriderator cooling system problem?

Collapse -
Repair Service

In reply to: Already questioned the repair service

If it was the evaporator, then I don't see why you would have been charged. In essence, I'm agreeing with you. Again, let me pepper that with the fact that "I'm not the service authority". I have no control over what happened, but some control on investigating it and resolving it, and my ideal solution is your satisfaction.

As of this morning, I compiled an additional report with this new information, and I've copied Service and our ECR (Escalated Customer Relations) Department to find out why you were charged.

So you know, I'm actively working to resolve this issue. Disregard my prior request for you to contact the service tech. I'll have our guys do that for you, and figure out what happened.

--HDTech

Collapse -
repair service

In reply to: Repair Service

Thank You! I do appreciate all that your doing to help me out with this.

Collapse -
Following up...

In reply to: repair service

Joanne0130,

I wanted to follow up on this issue since I didn't see any activity in this thread. Was there any communication since my last post here?

--HDTech

Collapse -
warranty

In reply to: Following up...

Nothing since Nov 14

Collapse -
ECR

Joanne,

At this point, I have escalated your issue to our ECR Department (Executive Customer Relations) for their review. You can find your status on this issue by calling 800-SAMSUNG with your transaction number and ask to be escalated to ECR.

From there, they'll be able to assist you.

--HDTech

Collapse -
warranty

Thank you so much for all your help. I did receive a refund for the diagnostic charge. Thanks again Joanne

Collapse -
Fantastic news!

Joanne0130,

Thanks for reporting back. I'm glad to hear you got your refund. Sometimes glitches like these happen, but we work to straighten it out when it does.

If we can help with anything in the future, please don't hesitate to let me know.

--HDTech

Collapse -
warranty

Thank you I will do that.

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

GIVEAWAY

Enter to win* a free holiday tech gift!

CNET's giving five lucky winners the gift of their choice valued up to $250!