Spyware, Viruses, & Security forum

General discussion

Warning - the Norton Virus

After 7 weeks of working without trouble my Norton Internet Security 2007 software has crashed my new computer. Actually the software quit working and Symantec's automated answer was to completely remove their software then reload it again. They even offered a special software program to handle this for me. Now my programs are crippled or not working at all and Symantec (so far) is useless in finding a better solution than reformatting my hard drive and spending endless hours reloading the operating system & programs. This is not the first time I have had to perform this full reconstruction due to a Norton security product. Rest assured it will be the last time. Perhaps someone from CNET can explain why they have endorsed this product. Based on my experience it is too costly.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Warning - the Norton Virus
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Warning - the Norton Virus
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
About CNET;About Norton

In reply to: Warning - the Norton Virus

CNET http://www.cnetnetworks.com/?tag=ft
Quite a lot of services by CNET. Download.com, forums, reviews. There's policy on both and it depends on their reviewers on what they wish to review.

About Norton:
I don't know what version you have that didn't work in your computer but I have NIS 2007.2 that works great in Vista. I even tried it in XP last year NIS 2007 (not build 2) with no problem.

Collapse -

In reply to: About CNET;About Norton

When it works it works well but when something happens that it doesn't like the experience can be worse than the virus it is supposed to protect me from. My new computer is 3 months old running XP Pro with whatever updates MS Windows and Symantec have offered.

Collapse -
Question: Did the computer came with Norton?

In reply to: Reply

but the update by Symantec is the caused?

BTW, you can try other security tools. AVG, avast, antivirus, comodo firewall, zonealarm to name some of freeware antivirus and firewall.

NOD32, McAfee, Trend Micro, AVG Pro, avast Pro, Antivir Premium are some of commercial products that you might consider too.

Collapse -
My reply

In reply to: Question: Did the computer came with Norton?

The event that Norton Internet Security did not like was my use of system restore. This caused Norton to quit working. Other than the Norton software becoming non-functional there were no other computer problems. I used my computer normally for 3 days then I followed the Symantec technical bulletin explaining how I was to perform the software removal. It is after I used their removal software that my computer became problematic.
I am definitely looking for other AV systems. I would like to find a on-line server to handle and remove the virus checking burden from my computer

Collapse -
Just my thoughts.

In reply to: My reply

Did you find out where this virus/trojan came from? Sometimes part of the solution is to find the source. For instance, an uneducated user in the household?

Bob

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

SMART HOME

This one tip will help you sleep better tonight

A few seconds are all you need to get a better night's rest.