Windows Legacy OS forum

Resolved Question

Warning from the NTVDM CPU

by Miss_Kissen / July 23, 2011 4:53 PM PDT

When starting up the computer there comes up a small DOS screen and a warning saying:

<div>C:\windows\instal~1\41E4A~\_4AE13~1.exe
The NTVDM CPU has encountered an illegal instruction.

Miss_Kissen has chosen the best answer to their question. View answer
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Warning from the NTVDM CPU
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Warning from the NTVDM CPU
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Best Answer chosen by Miss_Kissen

Collapse -
Usually some startup app.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / July 24, 2011 1:36 AM PDT

You, as the owner and pilot of your XP machine should be able to IDENTIFY every item in MSCONFIG. You would know to not remove what you don't understand and research those on google and more.
Bob

Collapse -
Ofcourse
by Miss_Kissen / July 24, 2011 4:24 AM PDT

You're absolutely right. I'm sorry to have bothered you.

Collapse -
No bother at all.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / July 24, 2011 4:34 AM PDT
In reply to: Ofcourse

Didn't mean to sound short but to point out where to look and how to research.

The clue alone in your post doesn't tell enough to give you "Oh, that's the toangy virus" so I opted to help you find where it might be located and how to research those items.
Bob

Collapse -
Answer
Have You Tried?
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / July 25, 2011 4:53 AM PDT

Click on Start-Run, type: "msconfig", then click on OK. When the System Configuration Utility loads, click on the "Start" tab, then search for the C:\windows\instal~1\41E4A~\_4AE13~1.exe 16 bit application listing mentioned in your post. UNCHECK the box, then click Apply, then OK and restart the computer.

The error can occur for a lot of reasons, from a poor driver installation to malware.. Hopefully, you've also scanned your computer for malware using a variety of tools???

Hope this helps.

Grif

Collapse -
Warning from the NTVDM CPU
by Miss_Kissen / July 25, 2011 6:15 AM PDT
In reply to: Have You Tried?

Hi Grif,

Collapse -
Remember that malware writers always test against Norton.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / July 25, 2011 6:32 AM PDT

That's why we always use the other scans noted by Grif.

BEYOND MSCONFIG I use AUTORUNS and HIJACKTHIS to find those hidden things that run.

http://download.cnet.com/Autoruns/3000-2094_4-10744886.html writes:
"There are few things more frustrating that an unwanted program that launches every time you start your computer, Read more: Autoruns - Free software downloads and software reviews - CNET Download.com"

Bob

Collapse -
It's Easy To Uncheck Those Blank Items...
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / July 25, 2011 7:58 AM PDT

Restarting the computer will tell you whether they are the culprit.. If not found, then simply "re-checking" them again takes you back to the original configuration.

Make sure to run those malware scans suggested earlier.. I tend to use the two free programs below.

Malwarebytes Antimalware

SUPERAntispyware Removal Tool

Hope this helps.

Grif

Collapse -
Unchecked and scanned
by Miss_Kissen / July 25, 2011 4:57 PM PDT

I run the SuperAntispyware program and removed some 450 tracking cookies, but nothing else was found. Restarted OK.
I also unchecked the two blank items, restarted and got a scare; a message appeared saying

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

Does BMW or Volvo do it best?

Pint-size luxury and funky style

Shopping for a new car this weekend? See how the BMW X2 stacks up against the Volvo XC40 in our side-by-side comparison.