Windows Vista forum

General discussion

wanting to downgrade back to xp, have recovery partition

by mcldanyell / June 28, 2008 9:45 AM PDT

Ok, I usually research and find my answers. I look until my eyes pop out of my head. This time, I have spend too much time looking for answers and I am fed up. Here is the problem...

I have an emachines T5010. It came with windows xp home edition and other things. It also has a recovery partition that I have no idea how to use or get to.

I recently..Thursday morning...upgraded to vista ultimate. I did the stupid vista advisor and it came back saying that I would need to update some drivers, but no big deal and I could update to vista. So I put the vista update ultimate in. I did the update, not clean install. Ever since, other than the normal "finding new drivers problem" I have battled with several updates not installing. One being the Net. framework version 1.1 service pack one. I even did the one method of trying uninstall the version and wiping it clean and reinstalling, but it would nerver uninstall the net.framework versions. It is still sitting in my programs list after trying to uninstall it three times. I'm done. I want my xp back. I'm not really new to all this. I always find an answer, this time though...vista has me beat.

My question is....what is the easiest way of getting my xp back. I don't have a restore cd, but I have a restore partition that I have no idea how to access because I have never dealt with something like that before. I don't want to reformat the drive if I can help it. What I do have, other than the restore partition, is a xp professional cd...it didn't come with the computer because the computer used home edition. Is it possible to put my computer back to the way it was before vista without losing any programs or files and how do I do it? The easiest way possible....then again I am pretty sure I am going to get an answer that won't be easy. I think I will have to wipe the drive clean...but I am so hoping that someone knows something I don't.

Let me know, sorry so long. I really appriciate any help.
mcldanyell

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: wanting to downgrade back to xp, have recovery partition
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: wanting to downgrade back to xp, have recovery partition
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Starting fresh...
by John.Wilkinson / June 28, 2008 10:20 AM PDT

There is, unfortunately, no way to revert to XP and leave everything else intact. Thus, you'll need to backup all of your personal files and start fresh, reinstalling everything from scratch. I believe the T5010 lets you press F11 during boot to launch the system recovery wizard directly from the partition since you didn't burn the CDs from within XP, though.

Good luck.
John

Collapse -
Thanks for the info
by mcldanyell / June 28, 2008 1:55 PM PDT
In reply to: Starting fresh...

Thank you for the info. I figured as much, I was just crossing my fingers this time maybe there was some other way that maybe I never heard of. I really hate reformatting and all that other trouble. Well....lesson learned. "if its not broke, don't fix it". I should have left my computer alone. LOL. VISTA...errrr! I should have given it another year or two.

Collapse -
(NT) ~18 months and counting to Windows 7. :-)
by John.Wilkinson / June 28, 2008 3:10 PM PDT
In reply to: Thanks for the info
Collapse -
oh yeah, I'm so excited...not
by mcldanyell / June 29, 2008 1:42 PM PDT

LOL, I really wish they would concentrate on their other problem os before putting out a new one. Xp had its things, but upgraded to it after it had been out for 6 months (or maybe it a year..don't remember how long I waited) I didn't have too many problems. Other than updating drivers and downloading all the updates, i didn't run into any problems really. Vista...well I guess it is just made for those computers that were factory installed with it (don't know). Nothing but problems...too many to get into now. Plus that stupid upgrade adviser doesn't tell you everything. just enough to let you know if your computer will even slightly function with it...perfect or not.

I'm getting tired of Microsoft. I'm tired of having to try to keep up. I'm going back to xp and I'm keeping my office 07....I plan on not updating anything for as long as I can go. Those two work, no problems. Maybe I need to look into linux and others??? Microsoft's head is too big.

Maybe you agree or not. I apparently needed to vent. LOL. I'm not a complete newbie, I've learned how to work on my computer myself, vista though is becoming too much work to deal with.

LOL thanks for the replies!! It has been a pleasure to talk to you. I appreciate your help and feedback.

mcldanyell

Collapse -
No problem...
by John.Wilkinson / June 29, 2008 3:10 PM PDT

I'll keep an eye out for you when Windows 10 launched. Happy

John

Collapse -
(NT) Correction: Make that "launches."
by John.Wilkinson / June 29, 2008 3:19 PM PDT
In reply to: No problem...
Collapse -
real funny :-)
by mcldanyell / June 30, 2008 7:14 AM PDT

Ha ha...not really. Happy More than likely 10 will launch in 2 months! LOL.

Collapse -
Update-- Downgrade to XP
by mcldanyell / October 2, 2008 11:12 AM PDT

I usually can not find the time to do reviews as much as I would like or to do updates on postings. However, I am updating on my previous problems with Vista in hopes that maybe I will help someone else who is searching the net for information.

My original post concerned that I upgraded to Vista and even though I had did my research and thought I made sure that everything was compatible according to Microsoft's Vista upgrade utility....after installing it I found that I was still one of many to have problems with Vista. One of the worst that Microsoft pushed on us.

At the time I couldn't find my restore cd and I really didn't want to reformat, find a xp disc, and deal with it all. However, I did find my restore cd about a month or two after posting. I let it sit on my desk and I backed up all my stuff in case I decided that I would down grade.

Today...well I had enough of Vista. So I reformatted and reinstalled everything. Even though it took me a day to do it all, Vista is so bad that the work to down grade was worth it. Now I have my XP back.

My opinion for those seeking information, at the time of this posting, windows 98 and windows xp have been the only two that from the beginning or within time have been the best operating systems made by Microsoft.

If you are thinking of upgrading to Vista, don't do it. No matter how much you think you might get lucky and everything will work, it won't. Good luck!

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?