PC Hardware forum

General discussion

Wanted to know some opinions on NVIDIA 8500 cards...

by vt53040 / July 7, 2007 11:00 PM PDT

I started a thread about differences in graphics cards on 7/3/07. This lead to the NVIDIA 8500 model. So know I'd like to know what ppl thought about this model and which one is a better bargain?

Newegg lists 26 different NVIDIA 8500GT models. And my power supply on my HP Pavilion a6157c is 250W. They are all a good bargain, with the most expensive being $99, but requires a 300W supply, which I don't have. So what's recommended out there with regards to other specifications on cards???

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Wanted to know some opinions on NVIDIA 8500 cards...
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Wanted to know some opinions on NVIDIA 8500 cards...
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
I'd suggest
by ozos / July 7, 2007 11:43 PM PDT

I'd suggest upgrading your power supply and getting the card you want, most video cards on the market require 300 to 350W power supplies or more. And the ones that don't, usually aren't worth buying anyways.

Collapse -
A link about best video cards for the money.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / July 8, 2007 1:03 AM PDT
Collapse -
Re:Re:Re: power supply
by searok / July 8, 2007 8:02 AM PDT

Doodledog, I contacted HP and they recommended upgrading power supply with one of their own. Imagine that. Why not put it in to begin with?

Collapse -
Upgrading HP hmmmm....
by vt53040 / July 8, 2007 9:55 PM PDT
In reply to: Re:Re:Re: power supply

You know, ,it's a personal choice and I've about had it with HP. I've gone rounds with them for months. As an overall manufacturer, I'd have togive them a failing grade. Their customer service is the pits, no one has any idea how to fix your problems there. ANd I'm tired of hassling with them to get replacement parts. I'm not saying others are any better nowadays, but I'll probably be returning my 3rd HP and try someone else for a change.

Collapse -
Before you return the system...
by ozos / July 9, 2007 1:03 AM PDT
In reply to: Upgrading HP hmmmm....

Consider that its needing upgrades for optional parts, if its working just fine as is, there isn't much to blame HP for. In my experience their online support is vastly superior to their phone support (generally speaking email support is better than phone support, because the CSRs are subjected to less emotional abuse on a daily basis).

Collapse -
just put the 8500 in your pc
by ramarc / July 9, 2007 6:45 AM PDT
In reply to: Upgrading HP hmmmm....

those cards only draw 40W max and can run in virtually any pc.

Collapse -
trouble free?
by searok / July 9, 2007 6:56 AM PDT

Ramarc,So there's no need for an upgrade to 300 watts or more? Will it slow down the system or cause glitches? Forgive me , I'm not very computer savvy...

Collapse -
Me either...
by vt53040 / July 9, 2007 8:45 AM PDT
In reply to: trouble free?

I'm not a PC expert either. I know a little. I just want to upgrade some parts at a reasonable cost to get my system a bit more game-friendly. Once I find an overall system I like,and can live with, I don't often upgrade it and will keep it for years as is. But this one could use a little tweaking. the last time I even got a computer was 2001 and I didn't give that up till last year.

And no, to the reply above, I don't "blame" HP for upgrade issues. I blame HP for the personal incompetence I've encountered. Like when their reps have to read from a manual to get me the info I need to fix an issue after I just read the same thing in my manual before I called. I call them to get better advice, that's their reason for being "tech support". A lot of these ppl have zero idea how to work computers. PLUS, I've had them stall on getting me replacement parts for months on end. Promising they'd be shipped, and having no idea why they weren't. I don't like when they say a shipment will be here and I have to hound them for months to get it! This goes for online support and phone support.

Collapse -
Thats a different story within HP
by ozos / July 9, 2007 11:42 PM PDT
In reply to: Me either...

A lot of press has come out in the last year or so regarding HP Parts Store, its a known problem even within HP that Parts Store (The people who send you replacement parts) is known for taking its sweet time. That isn't the CSRs fault. Again, I'm defending CSRs because I realize how much abuse they take on a daily basis, most of them might not even be exclusive to HP, they work in a call center thats contracted to HP among other companies, and have to follow protocol troubleshooting from the software utility which explains the next step.

Re the 40W draw, it requires a 300W power supply due to other components in the system, the actual draw of the card means very little when you consider that A) most 300W power supplies won't give 300W and B) Most systems on a 250W power supply are running that 250W close to peak, which drops its efficiency even more and shortens its life (so adding more to it won't help). I would still suggest, upgrading to a COTS ATX power supply like the Antec NeoHE 430W, it'll run the 8500 and it'll end the problem.

Collapse -
Forget the 8500
by whheezzzz / July 10, 2007 1:48 AM PDT

Acually i would recomend the 8600 GT or even the 8600 GTS, they all have the same abilities, but the 8600 series is much faster than the 8500. You wont be able to play hardly any games at decent setting with the 8500, youll be able to watch videos and multimedia stuff,but if you have a hankrin for a cool game like Quake 4 or Command and Conquer 3 or some of the newer games you see you will be highly disappointed with the 8500 series. you can get a 8600 GT for around $150 or the GTS for around $200 or so online, but if you go with the 8500 youll just be takeing it back out or upgradeing within as little as a year. Unless you just surf the net, and word processing and movies and such youll be fine.

Collapse -
Power supply
by whheezzzz / July 10, 2007 1:51 AM PDT
In reply to: Forget the 8500

And as for the power supply Your good if you have a 300w wther you go with a 8500 or 8600. I have a 8800 GTS 320mb card and i have a 425 watt supply with a couple hard drives,DVD, Sound card,4 sticks of RAM and a few fans and a few USB devices and its fine, A good not for shopping Power Sups, is the heavier it is the better it generaly is

Collapse -
Actually
by ozos / July 10, 2007 2:19 AM PDT
In reply to: Forget the 8500

The 8500 will handle Quake 4 and Command & Conquer 3 just fine, it will be able to play quite a few games. Its performance is roughly equated to the 7600GS, except it features DirectX 10 support. Just because it isn't marketed as the best card for the money, theres no reason you should ignore it. You don't have to own the absolute most expensive just to play games.

Collapse -
I realize it not just HP
by vt53040 / July 10, 2007 1:50 AM PDT

I realize this Px isn't exclusive to HP alone. Luckily, I'm not one to "abuse" a rep. Anytime, anywhere. I've been one. I know what they go through. But if HP is going to use them, it's their responsiblity to make sure they hire and train CSR's properly in the products they are hired to help support. It not my fault either, they don't know there job well enough to answer questions. They should not be trained to read out of a manual that I have at home. That's a waste! As consumers, were told to call, go online with them to help in issues we can't solve ourselves. It's sad this country is always trying to save a buck and outsource and under train. I'd rather pay more for quality products and service anyday...

Collapse -
Build your own
by whheezzzz / July 10, 2007 1:55 AM PDT

Acually if you want certain parts and a Custom case ect,build your own its not hard really Basic things to start with are a CASE to your likeing A Motherboard,Proccesor,RAM,and video card, ANd you could use your left over things from your other computer like Hard disks and DVD drives or whatever to put in it. Its not hard really,and you get the satisfaction of makeing something on your own, and its EXACTLY like you want. And best of all you can SAVE alot of money that way,if your a smart shopper

Collapse -
Sure
by whheezzzz / July 10, 2007 3:42 AM PDT
In reply to: Build your own

Yeah it will run it, but i bet that it will chug along at a lousy frame rate and im sure your not going past 800x600 resolution with everything settings on high. What im saying is if you want to play games at least half way as they were meant to be played, the 8500 just cant do it, sure i can play alot of games on my old 7600 GS you can play alot of games on a Radeon 9200, its the quality of play thats important, i dont know about you but lag in a game "severe" lag is just plain ridiculous,its not even fun anymore when it takes 10 yeas just to shoot your gun in a FPS for instance. So i guess if you want Sub-par gameing and dont really care about playing a game that frustrates you to hell because that new game you bought runs like a dog turd then i suggest a 8500 better yet get a 7200 Geforece with 128mb ram youll be pleased, Im just trying to save people the time,money and frustration for getting something that they will not like and just end up replaceing it 6 months down the line because it cant handle anything thrown at it at a decent quality. Unless of course you have a Quad core processor to go with it... but i dont know anyone in there right mind would match a Quad core with an 8500

Collapse -
I'm not sure...
by ozos / July 10, 2007 1:00 PM PDT
In reply to: Sure

What you mean by "quality of play" that requires an 8800, however the 7600 series, and 8500 series can easily handle modern games at quite respectable frame rates (40+ FPS) which is easily above the spectrum of human vision. Additionally, the original poster wasn't even asking for "ultimate gaming performance", instead he wanted a few notches above the GMA 950. So before you go (mis)using some poorly placed logical fallacies, please consider what you're saying. You aren't trying to save him money, you're suggesting he spend more money, where he isn't even sure he needs to be spending money in the first place. Furthermore, you haven't provided any factual basis for any of your arguements, and instead are resorting to "i'm trying to help them find something they like", a person's feeling towards a product is relative. In other words, can we drop the entire arguement as it doesn't apply in context of the OP.

Re the power supply, the 8500, 7300, 6200, and 6600 non-GT should all just slide along with the HP stock PSUs, however for the long term I'd still suggest a new PSU (which has already been stated by a few people).

Collapse -
8500gt with a dinky power supply
by ramarc / July 10, 2007 4:16 AM PDT

the 8500gt doesn't require a lot of power. 300w is the recommendation but you can probably get by with less. generally speaking, if a pci-express card doesn't have a pci-express power connector on it, then it will work with any decent power supply. my point is this... plug it in and try it. don't immediately spend more money on a bigger power supply if you don't have to.

as for performance expectations, the 8500gt is an entry-level card. here are some benchmarks for some recent games along with overall system power consumption: http://www.madshrimps.be/?action=getarticle&number=6&artpage=2642&articID=579

Collapse -
8600GT
by kpo6969 / July 10, 2007 5:50 AM PDT

It's 2x+ the card the 8500 is and 300w psu requirement also.

Collapse -
i've always thought...
by bklynrickel / July 10, 2007 6:28 AM PDT
In reply to: 8600GT

the more watts the better. isn't it true that using 300 watts to the max can stress the systems internal hardware?

i certainly hope i'm wrong about that. it would be a lot cheaper if that were not the case.

thanks.

Collapse -
A 300w..
by jackintucson / July 10, 2007 6:36 AM PDT
In reply to: i've always thought...

psu rarely puts out a full 300w. There's usually a 10-15% degradation factor. And you are correct in your assumption on too much stress. If you max out a psu and the cpu requires additional power for processing you are robbing it from somewhere else. Eventually something is going to cook. I always recommend a 30-40% buffer. If you need 300w get 400-450w. The psu won't have to work as hard in providing appropriate voltage.

and life goes on...

Jack

Collapse -
so, a little more expense....
by bklynrickel / July 10, 2007 6:39 AM PDT
In reply to: A 300w..

and life goes on.

thanks jack

Collapse -
look at the link i posted to madshrimps
by ramarc / July 10, 2007 9:06 AM PDT
In reply to: i've always thought...

their benchmark pc only drew 130W at load. that's not the video card... it's the entire system unit with mobo, cpu, card, hard drive, and optical drive!

you guys are way too wary of overloading a power supply. if its a decent quality power supply, even a 250W will be able to handle a 8500gt or even a 8600gt. conversely, el-cheapo 400W units can fail without being pressed hard. so the question shouldn't be whether to upgrade the power supply but rather what's the type/brand of the power supply and what other REAL USERS' experience with that type/brand has been. if there are other folks with dinky hp power supplies running a 7600gs or better card, then a 8500gt will present no problem.

Collapse -
ramarc ....
by bklynrickel / July 10, 2007 11:20 AM PDT

if that's true then it makes me really happy Happy because it saves me some shekels.

alright, maybe i'll just give it a try with only the new video card. xfx 8600 gt.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

Does BMW or Volvo do it best?

Pint-size luxury and funky style

Shopping for a new car this weekend? See how the BMW X2 stacks up against the Volvo XC40 in our side-by-side comparison.