Web Hosting, Design, & Coding forum

General discussion

want two domain names to go to same website

I would like two domain names to be interchangeable. In other words, if the browser inserts one domain name in URL box it will refer to the same website as the other (and possibly change to the original domain name). How do I set this up?

And do you know of any web hosts that provide two different domain names for the price of one?

Thanks. I'm new to this.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: want two domain names to go to same website
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: want two domain names to go to same website
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re: want two domain names to go to same website

In reply to: want two domain names to go to same website

There are two steps to this, maybe less. The name that goes into the URL is resolved by the DNS (sorry, but you must know DNS and URL and I will not explain what a DNS is.)

First, you need to register (pay money!) to get your reserved domain names out on the internet naming service (DNS). Now that both names point to your server, then read http://www.unix-girl.com/geeknotes/apache_virtual_host_conf.html to see how you may have virtual hosts on one server.

Bob

Collapse -

In reply to: Re: want two domain names to go to same website

Sign up at godaddy.com for domains. I personally think it is the cheapest for the features they offer. There you can park domains, forward them or do anything you would need to want.

Regards,
Ryan Sechrest

[email this member]
---------------------------------------------------------------------->
"Any technology significantly advanced enough
is indistinguishable from magic." Arthur C. Clark
<---------------------------------------------------------------------

Collapse -

In reply to: Re: want two domain names to go to same website

Thanks, both of you! I do know what DNS is. Your tips are very helpful and thanks for the URL link. You both gave me the info. I need. I really appreciate it.

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

REVIEW

Sublime suburban chariot

High on style and technology, the 2019 Volvo XC90 is an incredibly satisfying everyday crossover.