Networking & Wireless forum

General discussion

Want to upgrade to a Wireless-N router

by hidesome / July 31, 2010 1:11 AM PDT

Hi,

We're still using an older wireless-g router, and we'd like to upgrade to wireless-n (mostly for security reasons). We have a sort of atypical situation, in that we live in a rural area and our DSL doesn't go very fast--right now it's at 54mbps per second. So, we're not all that concerned about getting something very fast, but since we have a large house, and would like to even use the internet out on the deck, we'd like something with a long range. I've been reading reviews, but nothing seems to be just right for us. Any recommendations?

Thank you!

Katie

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Want to upgrade to a Wireless-N router
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Want to upgrade to a Wireless-N router
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Netgear
by mopscare42 / July 31, 2010 6:27 AM PDT

I have been installing the Netgear brand of N routers and out of 10 or so I have installed and setup they have been trouble free.
The two models I use most are the WNR 3500 rangemax and the WNR 3700. They both give you excellent speed and range. I think that is because they both have 8 internal antennas.
The 3700 is duel band and costs about $50.00 more. As far as speed and range I really can't see any difference in the two.
Does your laptop have a N nic card in it? If not your laptop will work fine with a N router, you just won't get the full benifits of the N card.
You can Google them to get more information and specs.

Collapse -
Belkin N
by chf_2258 / August 1, 2010 4:07 AM PDT
In reply to: Netgear

I installed a Belkin N (may have been $40 or so at Wal-mart) for a friend and it works fine. It got bad reviews but I figured I would try it. The main thing would be to follow the directions.

Collapse -
Wait!! You're misinformed . . .
by Coryphaeus / August 1, 2010 8:25 AM PDT

Wireless N is no more secure than G. It's the security used. WPA and WPA2 are available with G and N. If your PC(s) support WPA(2), use it. Do not use WEP. Period.

Your DSL does not even come close to the speed you're describing. 54 Mb/s is the wireless G speed which is many times faster than any DSL. Your surfing speeds are determined by your connection, not the router wired or wireless speed. You could have a Gazillion bits per second wireless or wired speed, but if your Internet connection is one Meg, that's all you will get.

Wireless N does have a theoretical longer range, but remember this. Those advertised speeds and distances are in perfect laboratory conditions. Wireless N should get better range. But don't hold your breath. Walls, floors, construction materials all play a part.

Wayne

Click here to see the CNet faces, learn a little about analog and digital data, Internet connections, Spyware removal, and download free software (and a GREAT chocolate-cherry cobbler recipe).
"I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones. AE"

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

Does BMW or Volvo do it best?

Pint-size luxury and funky style

Shopping for a new car this weekend? See how the BMW X2 stacks up against the Volvo XC40 in our side-by-side comparison.