General discussion

Want to upgrade to 512mb...Rambus Memory??

Hello
I have an HP Pavillion xt966 1.3 P4 256mb Windows Me in which I want to upgrade to 512mb of ram. I am not sure what to look for or if it is possible to upgrade this computer. Here are the specs for the memory.

Component

Attributes

RAM (standard)

256 MB PC600 Rambus (RDRAM)

Maximum

2 GB (4 x 512 MB RIMM) (MS Windows Me supports up to 512 MB)

Speed

400 MHz synchronous

Rambus channels

Sockets

4 / 184-pin RIMMs

Size

128, 144, 256, 512 MB RIMMs

Pairs Required

Yes. Rambus RIMM modules must be installed in pairs, and both modules within a channel must be identical (same manufacturer and type).

If there is an unpopulated RIMM socket (in a channel), it must be loaded with a C-RIMM (continuity module) to complete the Rambus channel. For example, populate each channel with:

RIMM + RIMM or RIMM + C-RIMM

Free RIMM sockets

Type Supported

Intel PC600 RDRAM 400 MHz

NOTE: Free RIMM slots may vary due to availability of memory components at the time the PC is manufactured.

Cacheback to top of page

Level

Quantity

Level 1

Upgrade

Sockets

128 KB (on processor)

None

Level 2

256 KB (on processor)

Hard driveback to top of page

60 GB (3.5 inch form factor)

Any response would be appreciated. Please let me know what type of memory I need to buy. Thank You.

Discussion is locked
Follow
Reply to: Want to upgrade to 512mb...Rambus Memory??
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: Want to upgrade to 512mb...Rambus Memory??
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
RAMBUS is expensive
- Collapse -
Thanks for that John. So right now....

So basically, I have 4 slots with 64mb each of rambus. Is that right? So if I purchase 1 pair of 128mb , I could leave in the other two 64mb modules and that would make it a 384mb computer. Is that correct? Any other suggestions. Thanks again.

- Collapse -
Re: 384MB RAMBUS

That seems correct to me also, but I know nothing about RAMBUS except when it came out some years back RAMBUS was the most powerful RAM that everyone aspired to want, but was expensive, and has since faded away.

CNET Forums