Speakeasy forum

General discussion

Want to surrender US sovereignty to the UN? Kerry's your man!

by David Evans / February 12, 2004 11:46 AM PST

"I'm an internationalist," Kerry told The Crimson in 1970. "I'd like to see our troops dispersed through the world only at the directive of the United Nations." (emphasis mine)

http://www.thecrimson.com/today/article357339.html

Looks like it's going to be a race between an American and a Massachusetts liberal who was Mike Dukakis' Lieutenant Governor. An "internationalist". A leftist, with a voting record more liberal than Ted Kennedy.

And there's more. Lots lots more....

DE

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Want to surrender US sovereignty to the UN? Kerry's your man!
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Want to surrender US sovereignty to the UN? Kerry's your man!
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Not supporting Kerry
by Roger NC / February 12, 2004 12:10 PM PST

But while past positions are worth considering, 34 years can change a man, even if some think changing your mind as you grow older only means you're inconsistent or a sell out.

And what someone felt back in the Vietnam era and feels today could be vastly different.

His more recent votes on defense would be more important. Even then, everything changed for everyone on 9/11.

So far I see no reason not to re-elect Bush, even if I dislike some of his advisors sometimes. I do dislike some things like some of the provisions (as I understand them, even if vaguely) of the new security laws, particularly the patriot act, are infringing too much on individual rights.

There has been much of Kerry here that is disturbing, and it all bears keeping in mind, but a 33 year old opinion of someone not long out of a combat zone might not be an accurate reflection of the current man.

I'd have to say I'm more conservative now than I was in the 1970's. And maybe a bit less than I was in the 1990's. And espcially when where I compare where I feel I stand vs where I see many others stand.

Shrug, inconsistent maybe, but that's the way it goes.

I have to say I'm relieved at least that Dean is apparently out of the picture, even if I didn't believe he could win the general election. It would worry me if Dean could even get the nomination.

roger

Collapse -
Roger, Kerry's voting record...
by Edward ODaniel / February 12, 2004 12:34 PM PST
In reply to: Not supporting Kerry

shows pretty clearly that he has not changed--he is still an internationalist.

He is still willing to surrender sovereignty. He recently wanted MIA accountability relaxed for Vietnam.

Collapse -
Re:Roger, Kerry's voting record...
by Roger NC / February 12, 2004 1:07 PM PST

The record certainly supports that view it seems.

And that recent record carries more weight to me than a demonstration 30+ years ago. It is all good to know, I'm just expressing my interpretation of the weight of each. And trying to consider the facts and their relevance in spite of any pre-existing opinions I may have.

And even post 9/11 records doesn't inspire confidence in me that he is ready for the threats of todays world.

roger

Collapse -
Here is another Kerry accomplishment...
by Edward ODaniel / February 13, 2004 2:08 AM PST
Collapse -
Man, that is disgusting!
by David Evans / February 13, 2004 10:31 AM PST

He's got much to answer for, and needs to answer right NOW!

DE

Collapse -
Re:Not supporting Kerry
by David Evans / February 12, 2004 12:34 PM PST

I'll admit that a person's positions on issues can change over time, but Kerry's positions have a consistency to this day that look very much like his positions back at the time of his "I'm an internationalist. I'd like to see our troops dispersed through the world only at the directive of the United Nations" remarks. It's 34 or 34+ years of extreme leftism.

And there's more, lots lots more:

I don't know much about this one yet, but I'm wondering if Kerry really did direct an intern/mistress to leave the country. That people leaving the country to avoid talking thing happened during the last Democratic presidency and it stank to high heaven. Anyway, here's all the link that I have on it so far:

http://drudgereport.com/mattjk5.htm

And there'll be more coming. Lots lots more.

DE

Collapse -
Re - "And there'll be more coming. Lots lots more."
by Del McMullen / February 12, 2004 12:46 PM PST

Well, he's certainly worked hard and spent a lot of money to gain the right to be a prime target for everyone and anyone to take their shots.

Collapse -
Developments on the intern story should be interesting, either way.
by Roger NC / February 12, 2004 12:50 PM PST

As to the pacifist anti defense stance, well it seems relevant and still exists when looking at recent voting records.

I just don't think it's wise to place too much emphasis on what anyone said or did 30 some years ago. People change, some for the better some for the worse. And Vietnam was just too turbulent a time in our culture to think some people didn't do and say things they wouldn't now.

As I've said elsewhere, I never served in military. I did go to technical school with a few Vietnam vets and had a few relatives in service at the time (relatives where not on front lines). And have worked with a few vets since. The ones I know right now don't talk about Vietnam or service in general much. Even when asked they tend to be reserved on the subject. And it's amazing the range of opinion from those that were there you'll find.

Regarding the intern, try google on "Kerry will implode over an intern issue." So very recent news stories, but as you say, not much detail or collab yet. We'll have to wait and see what comes out, both in support and denial, I guess. Interesting it's already in Scottish and Ireland news.

Collapse -
Re:Developments on the intern story should be interesting, either way.
by David Evans / February 13, 2004 10:27 AM PST

Here's a little more development on the intern/aide/whatever story, but it's still skimpy on facts: "Alex Polier, 24, was named as the woman at the centre of a scandal that threatens to damage Democrat Kerry's bid for the White House."

http://www.thesun.co.uk/article/0,,2-2004071162,00.html

About the "I'm an internationalist" story, to me it demonstrates a pattern of conduct over a long period of time. It's frightening to have someone with such anti-American views as the (probable) presidential nominee of this party. But then again, that "internationalist" thinking is endemic in the Democratic party.

DE

Collapse -
Re:One more link
by Roger NC / February 13, 2004 2:06 PM PST
In reply to: One more link

Well, on this I'm going to have to wait and see. There is too much reference all back to starting with the same report.

The story about the father and mother's comments was a bit news, everything else seems like built on the first report.

So far is interesting innuendo about an intern scandel, but not much else.

So far his voting record is a lot more worrisome than this.

Collapse -
Yet another one
by David Evans / February 15, 2004 10:46 AM PST
In reply to: Re:One more link
Collapse -
The New Nixon Tapes...
by Blake Cook / February 12, 2004 4:35 PM PST
I don't know much about this one yet, but I'm wondering if Kerry really did direct an intern/mistress to leave the country. That people leaving the country to avoid talking thing happened during the last Democratic presidency and it stank to high heaven. Anyway, here's all the link that I have on it so far:

http://drudgereport.com/mattjk5.htm

And there'll be more coming. Lots lots more. - David Evans

LOL Keep using the Drudge Report for you "facts" DE. LOL This is truly a reliable site. NOT!!! LOL

The New Nixon Tapes - The Drudge Report

"PRESIDENT NIXON: Oh, I understand--perfectly.

HALDEMAN: In what future administration did you say you served? -- or should I say will serve?

CYBORGER II: The Simpson Administration.

PRESIDENT NIXON: Simpson?

CYBORGER II: Yes. President O.J. Simpson. The sixty-first President of the United States.

PRESIDENT NIXON: The football player? Hell, he's a great running back, but I never would have thought--

CYBORGER II: He will become only the second write-in candidate to win the American presidency in the Twenty-first Century.

PRESIDENT NIXON: The second?! Who was the first?

CYBORGER II: President Neuman.

HALDEMAN: Neuman?

PRESIDENT NIXON: Hey, wait, I smell a rat...

EHRLICHMAN: Aren't you...

CYBORGER II: I must be going...

HALDEMAN: It's him!

PRESIDENT NIXON: Stop him! Stop--(cuts off)"

More...
Collapse -
Huh?
by David Evans / February 13, 2004 10:29 AM PST
In reply to: The New Nixon Tapes...

And I assume the manic, repetitive "LOL" means "Lack of Logic?"

DE

Collapse -
Don't worry David...
by Charlie Thunell PL&T / February 13, 2004 10:58 AM PST
In reply to: Huh?

Nobody expected you to understand it...

Collapse -
Not just past positions ...
by Evie / February 13, 2004 12:34 AM PST

... as concerns his internationalism ideology:

As our government conducts one war and prepares for another, I come here today to make clear that we can do a better job of making our country safer and stronger. We need a new approach to national security - a bold, progressive internationalism that stands in stark contrast to the too often belligerent and myopic unilateralism of the Bush Administration.

I offer this new course at a critical moment for the country that we love, and the world in which we live and lead. ...

.. Our task now is to update that tradition, to forge a bold progressive internationalism for the global age. ....

...Americans deserve better than a false choice between force without diplomacy and diplomacy without force. I believe they deserve a principled diplomacy...backed by undoubted military might...based on enlightened self-interest, not the zero-sum logic of power politics...a diplomacy that commits America to lead the world toward liberty and prosperity. A bold, progressive internationalism that focuses not just on the immediate and the imminent but insidious dangers that can mount over the next years and decades, dangers that span the spectrum from the denial of democracy, to destructive weapons, endemic poverty and epidemic disease. These are, in the truest sense, not just issues of international order and security, but vital issues of our own national security. ...
John Kerry, January 2003

Interestingly in that same speech, Mr. Kerry says he would have gone to the UN in 2001 to remove Saddam -- the hypocrisy of it all is astounding!

It should be obvious by now that Saddam was bribing officials to get around sanctions. Germany, France and Russia were knee deep in dealings with Iraq and there's no way Kerry would have been any more successful in getting them (thus the UN) on board unless he cut some backroom deal to let them continue their dealings post-Saddam.

Evie Happy

Evie Happy

Collapse -
Sounds good but also pie in the sky
by SteveGargini / February 13, 2004 10:17 AM PST

The fact that he even refers to the U.N is an exceedingly bad sign. If he thinks the U.N would be capable of getting rid of someone like Saddam, then he is living in cloud cookoo land.

Collapse -
We don't need an Internationalist President, we want an American President.(nt)
by James Denison / February 12, 2004 12:28 PM PST

Collapse -
But there is no isolation in today's world

I'm against giving up our right to govern outselves, but I recognize that the world is such now that what happens in one place affects a lot of others.

No president now can be mostly domestic or totally foreign minded. He has to learn to balence both. He can have advisors who are expert on each, but he must make the final call on balence. He can't allow outside groups to threaten us unanswered. But he can't ignore effects on us from around the world either.

The genie is out of the bottle on world wide interdependance, and there is no putting it back without disaster.

roger

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 51,912 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,498 discussions
icon
Laptops 20,411 discussions
icon
Security 30,882 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 21,253 discussions
icon
Windows 10 1,672 discussions
icon
Phones 16,494 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,855 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 15,504 discussions

REVIEW

Meet the drop-resistant Moto Z2 Force

The Moto Z2 Force is really thin, with a fast processor and great battery life. It can survive drops without shattering.