Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

Want to retrieve my old files from "my old disk structure"

by kafyanta / December 19, 2007 3:45 PM PST

hi,
i restored my advent laptop and chose the option of not to loose the files. now it took the files to (my old disk structure). please help!!!
kafyanta

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Want to retrieve my old files from "my old disk structure"
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Want to retrieve my old files from "my old disk structure"
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
So why can't you access these files?
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / December 19, 2007 5:57 PM PST

I'm not sure of your choice of wording here. You said it took the files to your old disk structure. I don't know what that means, but if your files are still stored safely on the hard disk you can surely access them.

If you are using a version of Windows, (you didn't say), try using Windows Explorer, (Start > All Programs > Accessories > Windows Explorer), to navigate to where this 'old disk structure' is, and access your files from there.

If you cannot, why not? What error messages do you get?

Mark

Collapse -
My old disk structure
by kafyanta / December 19, 2007 6:19 PM PST

thanx for responding mark.
the thing is i restored my xp service pack 2 and chose an option that states that restore without loosing old files, now when i restored ,
it created a folder in my c: drive which says My old disk strucure.
now if i try what you have told me it says my documents not accessible. access denied
hope u will help

Collapse -
Ahh, then you need to 'Take Ownership' of those.
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / December 19, 2007 6:29 PM PST
In reply to: My old disk structure
Collapse -
File retrieval
by kafyanta / December 20, 2007 7:30 PM PST

mark you are the best. it worked with the other documents but the thing is i had installed drivers for my tv card, oracle and others, but cant get them on all programs.

kafyanta

Collapse -
Yes that happens
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / December 20, 2007 9:58 PM PST
In reply to: File retrieval

when you restore or 're-install' an Operating System, (OS).

All programs break when this happens and you have to re-install those programs. The same for drivers, I'm afraid.

Those drivers for the tv card, oracle and others need to be re-installed for this new OS.

But I'm glad you regained access to those other files.

Mark

Collapse -
Mecer Laptop device drivers and vb 6.0 error
by kafyanta / February 8, 2008 4:19 PM PST
In reply to: Yes that happens

Hi everyone,
i had a problem with my mecer laptop model no 755S14. i reinstalled the operating system xp sp2. now am in need of drivers.

The other problem is am having an error with the system am developing in vb 6.0 which says " Data type mismatch). i have a database in access were there are dates that i have to subtract. The data types in access are dates, so when i try to declare the variables in vb as dates, they give me this error. can somebody help please.

Collapse -
Those drivers
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / February 9, 2008 2:04 AM PST

Those drivers probably came on a separate CD with the computer. If not, you can use Google to search for the drivers.

Is the Access database problem associated with the repair install of the operating system? If not you might be better creating a new discussion for that problem at CNET's Office & productivity forum here;
http://forums.cnet.com/5204-6129_102-0.html?forumID=29&tag=forum.fd

Mark

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?