Question

Want to Re-Install XP over Vista

My sisters computer came from Dell with XP loaded and Vista on a disk and the product key tag stuck on tower was only the Vista Prod Key.

Discussion is locked
Follow
Reply to: Want to Re-Install XP over Vista
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: Want to Re-Install XP over Vista
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
Answer
Sorry no.

I have yet to see anyone install XP "over" Vista. I've seen a clean install and as that is so widely discussed I think you were looking for the "over" the other OS method which has yet to be done.
Bob

- Collapse -
Actually want to install XP and do away with the Vista

If you would read again. ..please...I want to know:

- Collapse -
Sorry

But there has never been an uninstall feature. I bet you could not find it. That's why we install the OS we want and just delete the old partition. Again, this is widely documented so I don't duplicate that here.

As to the product keys, it may or may not work. If this is a Dell then you would need Dell's issue of XP to avoid that product key mess since their version installs without trouble.
Bob

- Collapse -
Thanks anyway

Bob,

- Collapse -
Sure.

Deleting the old partition is at about step 5 of installing XP at http://www.blackviper.com/Articles/OS/InstallXPHome/installxphome1.htm

A delete feature is there and works very well.

This will get you a clean install and with that we are done. However later you may want to install drivers such as video and more. Those are over at Dell.com and easy to find by going to dell.com, entering in your service tag.

Frankly I find restore media to be best for folk today. Installing windows is sadly not fully documented. We have guides but some folk can't believe that after 20 years we don't have a step by step.

Bob

- Collapse -
Answer
Re: XP Disk

You write "She did not have XP disk". You do? Then you're practically ready to go, unless:
1. This computer has a SATA drive, and you can't set it to IDE emulation in the BIOS
2. You XP disk is not SP1 or higher and the disk is > 127 GB.
3. It's not a retail version of XP or it's a not-Dell OEM.
In those cases there's a very good chance it won't work.

Just boot from that disk and install the OS. Then all drivers from the Dell site.

Kees

- Collapse -
Answer
Do you have a recovery partition?

Dell probably told you that you don't need an XP disk and a product key because you have a recovery partition on your computer. If you did not delete this partition when you installed Vista, you should be able to undo what you did. If you did delete the partition, then you will have to order recovery disks from Dell. The recovery partition does not need a product key and the official Dell recovery disks for your pc do not need a product key as well. Does this help get you started with finding out what you need to do?
Tony

- Collapse -
Need further help please

Yes someone understands....exactly!

- Collapse -
Re: XP

What you say seems correct. But you still didn't tell anything about where that XP that you want to install comes from. As said, if it comes from the recovery partition, that's by far the easiest. I think it's ctrl-F11 during boot to start that recovery process, but your Dell user manual should tell about it.

Kees

- Collapse -
Win XP installation and recovery disk

You asked about where the XP comes from...if you read I bought computer with XP loaded on it from dell

- Collapse -
RECOVERY DISK

No I must have deleted Partition when Vista was installed....so how much do you think this recovery disk is????

- Collapse -
How much for disk?

In my experience this disk costs about $19.95 including shipping costs.

- Collapse -
Clean Install done

Well everyone...I did a Clean Install as the Recovery Partition must have been deleted when Vista was installed..

CNET Forums