Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

Want to know....

by christy / March 25, 2006 8:31 PM PST

Just a curiousity question about the OS- Windows XP Pro SP2.

At the C:\Documents and Settings folder are folders named
?Administrator
?All Users
?All Users.WINDOWS
?Default User
?Default User.WINDOWS
?Guest
?User
?User.Computer Name (where ''computer name'' is the one found at system Properties-computer name tab.)
?Name1 (where ''Name'' is another user)
?Name2 (where ''Name'' is another user)

My question is: While I know(I think) how the folders- Administrator, All users, User,Guest, User.computer name, Name1 and Name2 came about, what do the other folders relate to ? E.g., why >.WINDOWS ? and why do the others folders do not have corresponding ''partner'' folders with .WINDOWS ? Why default User when there is already a folder named User.Computer name which I suppose id the main (i.e. default ?) user ? And- there is no folder of the user with Admin previleges(the Main user-me) with a log-on name. (i.e. there is no log-on name folder !) Thanks.

christy

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Want to know....
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Want to know....
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
(NT) (NT) Sounds like overkill
by crazeebob2000 / March 25, 2006 8:53 PM PST
In reply to: Want to know....
Collapse -
Covered in some books, but..
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / March 25, 2006 8:58 PM PST
In reply to: Want to know....

What you listed is quite normal. It bothers a few that windows makes these directories but consider that some lock themselves out of this OS by reducing logins to just one account.

Then some pest (trojan, virus, other) or event corrupts the profile and they find themselves locked out.

There is no ill effect to having a spare admin capable account and the space consumed by such an account is cheap...

Bob

Collapse -
Thanks, Bob...
by christy / March 25, 2006 11:31 PM PST

Well, I am not bothered. I know it is normal. As you can see, there are several accounts beside the ''Administrator''(which is not used), so I hope I can ''recover'' in case of a virus attack. It is just that I am curious at the way the Windows XP OS names and places those ''accounts folders''. I guess I will have to go fishing with Google and pay a visit to the local library.

christy

Collapse -
Two things about which books.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / March 25, 2006 11:34 PM PST
In reply to: Thanks, Bob...

If you want to look into this deeply, look at the books from ORA.com and the Windows 2003 Server Resource Kit (Microsoft).

I'm fairly sure that it's all documented in those collections of books but the "why?" is simply the way Windows NT and subsequently XP was designed to handle multiple user accounts.

Bob

Collapse -
Thanks....
by christy / March 26, 2006 6:34 AM PST

...for the information. I know about the multiple users bit, and can appreciate it - so, I will have to do some reading or otherwise find out why for some User accounts, there are accompaninig ".WINDOW" folders while for others, there are none.

christy

Collapse -
About .WINDOW
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / March 26, 2006 6:44 AM PST
In reply to: Thanks....
Collapse -
Thanks....
by christy / March 26, 2006 7:48 AM PST
In reply to: About .WINDOW

...for the link. Interesting information.

christy

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!