General discussion

Want to hook PC to Home Audio Receiver

I want to hook my PC up to my home audio receiver. I used a "Y" connector from the PC "Digital Audio Out" RCA jack, hooked it to top grade audio cables, then into the back of my receiver for "LD" ( laser Disc!)( it was the last remaining open jack) The music plays but I get a highly audible Buzz. Is there some sort of pre amplifier that I could use, there must be a way to hook up these great MP3's to my home stereo.


Discussion is locked
Reply to: Want to hook PC to Home Audio Receiver
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: Want to hook PC to Home Audio Receiver
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
- Collapse -
Why this way?

cd or dvd burner are very reasonable and the medias are very inexpensive and I assumed your dvd player plays mp3, if not, they too are cheap. Just a different way of looking at things.

- Collapse -

Is the cable used on the pc firmly in the jack?

- Collapse -

If you are trying to get stereo (2-channel) out, then you shouldn't be using a digital output to a Y-connector (I don't even know what that would do - 5 channels out split to a left and right input?

Easiest way I know of is to use a 1/8" mini phono(male) to L/R rca jack patchcord. Connect the 1/8" to the headphone or line-out jack on your PC and the RCA plugs to a pair of L/R analog inputs on your receiver. This is the same cord you'd use to connect a discman to an amplifier. I'm not sure if the Laserdisc inputs are the same as CD, tape, etc.

If you're trying to get digital out, then you have to use a single digital cable from your PC to a digital input on your receiver.

Sorry if this is way off base, but as the subject states, I'm a little confused.

- Collapse -
Your Buzz Problem

I'm having exactly the same difficulty. I am assuming (though I cannot verify easily)that in my case the problem stems from running the audio cables en mass with other cables)over a reasonably long distance. As I understand it, unless the sheilding on the cable is very, very good, you can't prevent all harmonic distortion from closely aligned cables. In my case it's even more aggravated, since I am running those cables through a basement room that carries electrical switching, telephone switching, the furnace, furnace venting, cable television switches, etc. Although it's a reach, I'm thinking a wireless set-up might avoid some of these issues (but it could just make things worse).

You used to get these kinds of buzzes all the time in the old days with tube-style audio products, and it usually resulted from bad cable, bad cable sheilding, or just such an enormous collection of electronic components sending off "harmonics" that you would just have to find the right cable specing to avoid it.

CNET Forums