Peripherals forum

General discussion

Want to help me select a flatbed scanner?

by RalphDV / March 1, 2009 3:59 AM PST

I have a ton of prints that I want to get digitized and I'm looking for a good scanner to do the job. My most desired features are:

Sharp clean scan output, the higher the resolution the better.

Reliable.

Mostly automatic but with manual capability.

Friendly software.

Ability to scan text documents.

Cost no more than $200.

Blazing fast scans not necessary but I don't want something painfully slow.

I've researched scanners and I'm leaning toward the Canon 8800F. A good choice or should I look at something else? Also, does anyone know at what point in the year most manufacturers introduce their latest scanners? If the 8800F is close to being discontinued for a similar but better model I would like to wait to see what Canon offers.

Regardless of brand are there any pitfalls or specific quirks I should watch out for? FYI, I'm using a PC with Windows XP and do my image post post processing with PS Elements 7.

I appreciate any help or suggestions!

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Want to help me select a flatbed scanner?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Want to help me select a flatbed scanner?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Reliable is not in consumer machines.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / March 1, 2009 4:15 AM PST

These are designed for 5 to many less years of use. And at under 200 you have moved right into consumer grade gear.

Are you that sure of your specs that you can't use that Canon?
Bob

Collapse -
Scanner
by RalphDV / March 1, 2009 4:43 AM PST

"Are you that sure of your specs that you can't use that Canon?"

I'm not sure I understand your question or point.

I've previously owned two scanners, an HP and a Visoneer, and longevity is not an adjective I would use to describe either one. I realize scanners are notorious for their relative short lives but since I don't really need something above consumer grade I'm prepared to accept that my choice won't outlive me and most of the time I feel as if I'm ready to kick the bucket at any time.

Spec-wise I'd still like to keep the price at $200 or less but beyond that I'll just be happy if I can find a scanner that gives good sharp scans and will be reliable enough to do 3000-5000 scans.

Just out of curiosity, at what price point do you believe one leaves the consumer grade and enters prosumer or pro grade?

Collapse -
For example.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / March 1, 2009 5:14 AM PST
In reply to: Scanner

At one job we used this -> http://www.fujitsu.com/us/services/computing/peripherals/scanners/

Look at those Workgroup and higher model scanners. These are very well built and do last many years.

However the price is above 1K.

Back to your choice. It's a fine one for consumer use and should survive that many scans but to be sure, get them done within the warranty period.
Bob

Collapse -
Thank you
by RalphDV / March 4, 2009 10:17 AM PST
In reply to: For example.

Bob, thank you for your input and opinions. I appreciate your help.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!