General discussion

Want to connect to wifi

I was given a computer with xp home, sp 3. I want this computer to be able to connect to wifi.
1. Can someone advise me what I will need to make a wifi connection with this computer?
2. Also, what would be a good name brand for the best price?

Discussion is locked
Follow
Reply to: Want to connect to wifi
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: Want to connect to wifi
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
Hardware questions first

You didn't mention anything about what you already had in the way of networking/internet hardware at your site or on this PC so I can't begin to offer much in the way of specifics or pricing. You will need a broadband internet connection. This generally only includes the broadband modem and wiring to your ISP. You'll need a wireless router. Figure 50 bucks give or take for something basic. The PC you were given will need a wireless network interface device. You didn't mention if it was a desktop or laptop so I can't offer beyond here. Post back with your current setup as far as broadband and more about this PC.

- Collapse -
Hardware

Thanks Steve,
Ok, I was given a gateway desktop with xp home, sp3, windows 7. It has an Intel(R) Pro/100 VE network connection. Broadband is supplied free at my apartment.
I guess I'm wondering if I could get away with a USB adapter or wifi card or what it would take to get this computer to accept wifi.

- Collapse -
This free broadband in your apartment

I hate to ask another question, but is this wireless or wired or both? If wireless, you can certainly just get a USB adapter presuming your PC has an available USB connection. There are wireless PCI cards as well and plenty of them that should work. Now, as a matter of recommendation, I'd try to go with brand that's the same as the wifi router or AP brand if you can get that information. If not, you pick from one of the many popular brands and check their customer ratings. That's the same as I would do. I have my own brand preferences but hesitate to make recommendations because what I have in the way of such hardware isn't that current and can't promise to know what will work best for anyone else.

- Collapse -
My apartment wifi

I get my wifi wireless with my laptops wireless mini card. The apartment owners don't speak good english so I wouldn't want to approach them about their setup.
I saw Walmart had some usb adapters for a good price so I guess I'll try one and see what happens. They didn't come with a CD just the usb adapter. I was wondering how I find available wifi with one of those if it dosn't have a program with it to search for signals? Oh, well for $30.00 it's worth a shot and I can always return it.
Thanks for your help

- Collapse -
The units with no CD or drivers.

Have you download them from the net.

- Collapse -
download from internet

I guess your asking if I've downloaded drivers and that would be a no I have not.

- Collapse -
That was a

That was a comment about what we see today. Products are showing up with no driver CD but a slip of paper to tell you where to get the drivers.
Bob

- Collapse -
Actually, you might be able to ID the router yourself

but it may not be important. Since it's the gateway address and you can run ipconfig to determine that, all you'd need to do is http:// (gateway address) to see if it attempts to connect to its web interface. The brand might show on the opening page. Anyway, you can get USB or PCI types for under 30 bucks. Newegg has plenty on their site. I'll make one recommendation about signal searching software. Don't load the full software package with your wireless device but the driver alone. Using Windows wireless zero service should provide the fewest headaches for basic use. The best way to load driver only is to use the "have disk" option when installing the device. Hopefully you're familiar with that method. If not, it's easy to figure out or instructions can be provided here.

- Collapse -
router ID

yup I can get the router ID with my laptop. I'm going to go to office depot today and see if they have a usb adapter with a CD, otherwise I'll download a driver. And ya, I've been to the Newegg site already so I should be good to go.
Thanks for yours and all the other help.

CNET Forums

Forum Info