Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

Want to check sound problem in my BIOS...

by mandyrchtr / September 18, 2005 1:38 PM PDT

How do I do this as I know zero on this subject?
I have a thread in Newbies as I have driver problems,as I have windows 98SE I am trying to get my sound after already downloading driver (more than once) for Vortex AU8810 multifunction PCI Platform.
In my start/programs/accessories/system information I have several drivers not installed in multimedia.I have no speaker in my systray.I have no red or yellow marks against any drivers in device manager.My new speakers are plugged in (and crackle a tiny bit now and then.I had trouble with display and downloaded the driver for that without any problems.My cd burner in drive E: will not work and the windows media player says it cannot find the specified path (it wont let me put the correct path in its little window.)I am almost tearing my hair out here.My system appears to be clean..no spyware/adware as far as I know.I just had trouble with my drivers.I also have no driver installed for my printer...but that can be dealt with after the sound.I also had mouse driver trouble and I was able to fix that as well.
Any ideas anyone?
Have a look in newbies at my other thread to see what has been suggested already..
I am driving my family mad....
Mandy

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Want to check sound problem in my BIOS...
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Want to check sound problem in my BIOS...
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
so you got tired of long post replies...
by reefurbb / September 19, 2005 12:19 AM PDT

BIOS-setup mainly affects onboard sound (of this current interest). Since sound used to work and the Aureal card is recognized, I don't see any BIOS problems, like disabling pci or isa slots. Don't update the motherboard BIOS as that gets hairy (unless that repairguy already did it). In any case, you can choose to "set defaults" or some such, if you or someone has messed around. FIRST, look at each BIOS page and write down the settings. Some BIOS settings may have been changed specifically for that PC to make it faster or whatever.
Your problem is that Aureal drivers are still not installed right.
I still don't get what happened to E: drive (the CDRW drive?), unless that IDE channel, slave or master, in BIOS is not set to "auto", somehow got "disabled".

Collapse -
Hi reefurbb...just wanted to know how to get into bios...
by mandyrchtr / September 19, 2005 11:20 AM PDT

without you all knowing I am a blonde!!!Sorry I have been on this computer twice daily trying to figure this out...I am trying to be patient...
CDROM is darn annoying-I just want to solve this whole problem.When the computer is booting and a couple of black screens come up,one of them flashes very fast and I have tried several times to read the bottom left corner-all I can get is the words 'cd-rom' + 'fail(ed or ure).Darn thing is too quick there are a couple of words before cdrom.Going to reboot and try to 'read' the bios.I know I haven't been in there.
I will just go back to newbies...for all the rest of help..:D
Mandy

Collapse -
This kind of trouble ...
by Kees Bakker / September 19, 2005 1:24 AM PDT

is very difficult to diagnose and solve from a distance.

I really suggest you visit a trusted repairman (the same or another). It doesn't seem unlikely to me that he will do a fresh install of Windows, so better take all diskettes and CD with drivers with you, saving him the trouble and time (and you the money) to find out and collect them himself.

And, of course, there's always the possibility of a hardware problem.

To answer your question:
It depends on the BIOS how you get into the BIOS setup. You press some special magic key as soon as the first thing on the monitor appears and that's it. Most usual is del, and F10 on a Compaq or HP, but it could just as well be any other key or combination. The manual that came with the motherboard or the computer should contain the information. Or it might be on the screen (something like "Press del to enter setup").

When in the BIOS browse through all screens until you see something on sound on the motherboard. If you changed anything and you're sure you want to keep it, choose something like 'exit while saving changes' on the main menu. I assume the Vortex is a separate card, not integrated on the motherboard (because it's PCI), so all you have got to do is check if the on-board sound is disabled.

Hope this helps.

Kees

Collapse -
Thank Kees...press del to enter setup is what is on the ....
by mandyrchtr / September 19, 2005 11:28 AM PDT

bottom of the screen when booting up.
I am not one to give up easily until I think I have tried everything (when it is me I call it determination-when it is the kids I call it pigheadedness Happy ).I have not been there before and did not realise this is what BIOS is?! Going into setup scared the hell out of me and I was worried I would mess the whole system up just going there!
I will try and find sound and check if disabled.
My repairman will be the last resort if needed.:)
bye
Mandy

Collapse -
ha ha...now 3 posts to watch...1 more thing...
by reefurbb / September 19, 2005 10:55 PM PDT

while you "let your fingers do the walking", grab a torch and write down the subprocessor chips, Intel-Via-whatever, and let us know. You might be a redneck if...you don't have all the chipset drivers as W98SE doesn't have them all for this more modern PC. And we still don't know what that repairguy did.....

Collapse -
picked a shorter thread to reply...cpu speed test
by reefurbb / September 22, 2005 10:54 PM PDT

go to my profile for a personal reply so you won't have to put yours in your profile...
It was Ativas cpu speed test. www.softsol.cx (Christmas Island). That site is now some Florida county site. The developer went to another site and renamed the test "James'cpu checker. A Google search took me to another download site which doesn't work. The orignal site went to www.atipro.com which offers a bandwidth test for $$$.
I have the original Ativas, zipped, 260kb that I can attach to an email to you. Unzip, it's a standalone exe program, "test my speed baby", results, OK, then you get the screen that allows free distribution.
No spies.
This is in reference to your BIOS not set right for processor or listing the speed wrong.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?