Laptops forum

General discussion

Want to buy new laptop. Dell XPS M1330 vs. M1730

by thespankstr / September 28, 2007 2:08 AM PDT

Ok, heres the deal. I've been looking at the M1330 for a while now and really don't want to spend $2800 for a laptop and be unhappy. I saw the M1730 today and it looks sick, $3000 though. My question would be should I spend the extra cash for the M1730? Bigger, heavier, but has more power and would play games better then the M1330. I don't want it to be an permanent replacement for my desktop but I would like the power to be able to do almost the same thing. Another question, I've seen brand new laptops with warrenty's on ebay for like $800 cheaper. Whats the deal with that, should I buy it off ebay? Thanks for all your help.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Want to buy new laptop. Dell XPS M1330 vs. M1730
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Want to buy new laptop. Dell XPS M1330 vs. M1730
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
You see 800 dollar laptops everywhere.
by orlbuckeye / September 28, 2007 3:16 AM PDT

They just don't have the same resources (graphics cards, Processors, Disk size) that the 2000+ laptops have.

Collapse -
Correction
by thespankstr / September 28, 2007 3:18 AM PDT

I meant I saw the same M1330 on ebay for $800 cheaper, not $800 laptops on ebay. Sorry. Shoudl I trust eBay to buy the same M1330 for $800 cheaper?

Collapse -
I wouldn't...
by jbking2 / September 28, 2007 3:23 AM PDT
In reply to: Correction

But then I don't think it is eBay that is selling the laptop but rather someone that bought one and also you should be aware of various risks in buying a used laptop that are in many ways like buying a used car. It may be a lemon.

Regards,
JB

Collapse -
It seems like...
by fbbbb / September 28, 2007 7:23 AM PDT

You're not sure what you want. That is, you don't know what you want a laptop for.

The M1330 is an everyday portable machine which is not a desktop replacement but does most 'officey' things that people do, the media stuff (and with Ultimate, the M1330 is actually quite a capable media machine on the go) and some very light gaming.

The M1730 is a heavyweight gaming machine. Carry this every day and your back will be hurting soon. It is a desktop replacement, so it's big and heavy. If you buy this wanting a machine to carry to/from classes, be mobile, etc then you'll probably regret it - it'll end up spending a lot of time in your room.

I have a couple of M1710's, at least one of which will be replaced by the M1730 - in fact, I'll be placing the order on Monday when the quote is confirmed. However, I don't use the M1710's (which are, I believe, lighter by a bit than the 1730) as everyday carryabouts but as transportable desktops - i.e. carry from one desk to another and not as true 'notebooks'.

I don't even use an M1330-class machine (I have three M1330's, which won out in an Sony SZ choice mainly because it was only a bit heavier and did everything I wanted for a lot less - and it didn't come with a truckload of Crapware preinstalled) as everyday carryabouts, preferring lighter machines like the Sony G and TZ series, but the SZ / M1330 is the class of machine I turn to when I need a do-everythinger which is still very portable.

You need to figure out what you're going to do with the laptop and how you're going to use it before making the choice.

Collapse -
Thanks
by thespankstr / September 30, 2007 3:12 AM PDT
In reply to: It seems like...

I really appreciate the feedback. I've always wanted a laptop. Not quite sure what I'm really gunna do with it. I'm a gamer and a power hungry user. I think I'm gunna get the M1730. I will prolly try to carry it around, then figure out its the reason why my back is always hurting, but then only use it when I don't want to go to my desktop. Again, thanks for the input.

Collapse -
I should receive my M1730 by...
by fbbbb / October 6, 2007 2:43 AM PDT
In reply to: Thanks

...last week of October, apparently. If you don't have one by then, prod this thread and I'll let you know if it's an unmanageable weight or not.

Collapse -
Sounds good
by thespankstr / October 6, 2007 8:15 AM PDT

Alright cool, I think I'm leaning towards getting it. Let me know what you think though.

Collapse -
I would not want to...
by fbbbb / October 28, 2007 8:07 AM PDT
In reply to: Sounds good

... do anything else than carrying this to/from the car. It's a beast in more ways than one. It's not 'oof' heavy but it is very, very noticeable when compared to a regular notebook.

Collapse -
Thanks
by thespankstr / November 6, 2007 12:06 AM PST
In reply to: I would not want to...

Hey, I just wanted to let you know, I ordered and recieved the M1330. I figured I didn't want to spend the extra money on the M1730 only because I wasn't sure I would use it all the time and would hate to waste the money if I didn't. And let me tell you, I'm happy I did. Only because the M1330 is awesome, light and I couldn't imagine carrying around the 17" version. It is probably a bahemouth. The 1330 is really nice. Bigger then I thought it would be. The only problem I had with the purchase of this system is that DELL's customer service sucks. I had so many problems with them. I think that's the only reason why I got it so fast. They must have jerked me around for about a week. I spoke to so many people there who couldn't help me. It was a horrible experience. I'm glad its over though. I'm not sure if I would ever buy fromt hem again. Thanks for your opinions though, I really appreciate it.

Collapse -
What problems did you have?
by fbbbb / November 6, 2007 1:35 AM PST
In reply to: Thanks

First, congrats on the M1330. I think it's a really nice, practical, everyday machine - as a 'laptop' you definitely made a better choice. I did have some problems with a couple of mine of minor build defects, which were eventually corrected. But I'd be interested to know what issues you had.

The M1730 is indeed a behemoth. It's not really even a 'carry to work on the subway' sort of machine - with the power brick (which is a genuine brick) it is quite a weight on your shoulders. However, the power is definitely there and it is waaaaay beyond the M1330 in this respect, especially with my X7900 configuration (3.2Ghz stable).

Collapse -
First off........
by thespankstr / November 6, 2007 1:54 AM PST

when they charged my CC it was denied. I was like "WHAT!!!" I immediatly called my CC company and asked them why. They had informed me that the charge went through and to call Dell back and tell them it WAS authorized. So I called Dell back and they said oh maybe its a problem with the fraud department. We'll take care of it. So, as far as I was concerned everything was OK. About 2 days later, me being impatient and all, I checked the Dell site just to see how everything was doing. Low and behold the order came up "Cancelled". I freaked out. This is what started to be the nightmare. I must have made a bazillion phone calls trying to talk to someone, first who spoke english, and second who could give me ANY kind of valid information. After about a couple of hours going through the stupid menu prompts talking to people who didn't know what was going on I finally spoke to one guy who sort of had some info. He said he would take care of it and call me back. Yeah, he called me back. (sarcisism there) So then next day I went through all that BS once again to finally get another person who felt she could fix everything. I begged with her to PLEASE at least call me back, she actually wouldn't hang up the phone with me and fixed my problem. There's the 3 days of torture. Bout a week later, I get the laptop in the mail. I was thrilled. It was 99% complete. The only thing that didn't show up was the remote. Which wasn't a big to do, but I did pay for it. Ding, ding, round 4. I called up Dell went through the normal crap, which btw I HATE THE STUPID MUSIC they have when you first call. That just fueled my fire. Spoke to another bunch of morons who had no idea what they were doing to finally get someone to tell me their sorry and will ship one out for me. He said it would take up to 8 days but I actually recieved it overnight. So I think that about sums it up. It was torture to say the least. Who would of thought it would be so tuff. I was at the point to say forget the order but the whole time they had my money. That's what was pissin me off.

How's that for a story? Happy

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!