PC Hardware forum

General discussion

Want to buy an External Hard Drive.

by bikerart / November 27, 2009 11:30 AM PST

I am in the market for an EHD. I think I want a 1.5 TB or 2 TB. My ? is will we be able to store several PC's files on one Drive? Or will it write over what is put on previously?

I was thinking big because I am hoping we can store info for our 5 PC's.

Thanks in advance

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Want to buy an External Hard Drive.
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Want to buy an External Hard Drive.
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Add up the space needed to hold all the
by Steven Haninger / November 27, 2009 8:03 PM PST

data from those PCs as they are now and give enough extra space for what you might accumulate in the future. Then, consider what you stand to lose when and not if that big drive fails. As for overwriting previous data, that only happens if you copy new files with the same names as existing files in folders on the drive and you will be asked first. Files aren't removed in rollover fashion as the disk fills.

Collapse -
Want to buy an External Hard Drive
by bikerart / November 27, 2009 11:34 PM PST

Thanks for the reply. Is it possible to partition the drive so we can put 4 different PC's on there? There are bound to be files that are the same between all those PC's.

Collapse -
You could use partitions or folders/directories to store
by VAPCMD / November 28, 2009 12:14 AM PST

data from the different PCs.

Collapse -
Let me share what I use today.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 28, 2009 12:43 AM PST

I use CLONEZILLA. I didn't read ANY manual or documentation and am able to store IMAGES of machines to such a drive with a single partition. I find partitions to vanish on folk so I shy away from that advice. But if you feel it's the answer, go for it.

The CNET STORAGE FORUM is testament to how we can't trust hard drives and more so EXTERNAL HARD DRIVES so make plans for backup and don't let it be the only place a file could be found.

Collapse -
I will be buying a
by bikerart / December 1, 2009 10:02 AM PST

1.5 TB drive for my wife for Xmas. I took a look at clonezilla, looks a bit complicated for me. I will check into it after we open gifts.

Collapse -
2.5" HDD enclosure
by bluelee67 / December 3, 2009 2:58 PM PST

Somone posted a 2.5" HDD enclosure deal days ago and the deal is dead now.

I found this one is on sale for $4.99, checked on shipping fee and it's free for UPS ground.

<A href="http://www.centralcomputers.com/commerce/catalog/product.jsp?product_id=72985" target="_blank">Link</A>

Collapse -
I will check on this
by bikerart / December 4, 2009 2:05 AM PST
In reply to: 2.5" HDD enclosure

Thanks for the link.

Popular Forums
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
Laptops 21,181 discussions
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
Phones 17,137 discussions
Security 31,287 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?