PC Hardware forum

Question

Want to buy a media center PC and want your comments please?

by serena_va / May 28, 2012 7:45 PM PDT

I am thinking to buy a medai center PC for my living room, I have been looking around but not sure which one is good. My brother told me that the latest processor of the AMD trinity A10 is very good deal, so I went search and find this one called ARCTIC MC101. Does anyone know about this PC? It looks very nice for my living room but I cant find any review about it yet and would like to have some comment by you guys, thanks, hope you can help!

Here's the website and youtube about the product I mentioed above:
http://www.arctic.ac/en/p/living/entertainment-center/571/mc101-a10.html?c=2296

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xjx4IFuma6M

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Want to buy a media center PC and want your comments please?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Want to buy a media center PC and want your comments please?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
looking good, powerful processor
by KJosh123 / May 30, 2012 8:08 PM PDT

Hey there,
I have a media center PC myself and I enjoy it very much. I never seen the MC101 before but it has a very good processor, The AMD Trinity A10 only came out mid-May and it sounds promising. It doesnt have review yet poss. coz this is too news, it's on pre-launch only...
Think is a good deal with these specs, I mean mine was more expensive with less RAM, storage and older processor than this one.
I would go for it, good luck!

Collapse -
Answer
Something to Consider Before You Buy!!!
by dvmarion / July 6, 2012 2:20 AM PDT

I own an HP Media Center. When I purchased it I was excited. It had all the right bells and whistles, TV, radio, great Nvidia graphics card w/ an extra slot to add another graphics card for a dual monitor possibility. I immediately created the diagnostic and restore disks as indicated by the manual (since they don't supply the restore disks any more with the purchased system). I was elated. Unfortunately my positive awe changed to wonder, amazement and bewilderment. I noticed that the OS, at the time Vista Ultimate [Business] was the hottest thing; although the system is a Dual Core 64 bit system, there was a 32 bit Vista OS installed. To correct this issue would have cost me almost $300 more. But besides that after about 6 months the computer started indicating that the fan wasn't working. But when the system case was opened up both fans were working. Then suddenly the system began to reboot itself at the most inopportune times. then finally it would reboot and then after rebooting it would reboot again in an endless loop of rebooting. I tried researching the problem unsuccessfully. I thought it could be a virus or something, so I thought about restoring to the factory default from the recovery disks (since the recovery section on the hard drive was then inaccessible.) The first disk worked fine. but when prompted to insert disk 2 the app refused to recognize the second disk. I called HP for help but they had stopped supporting that computer model and that recovery disk was no longer available.

So, in conclusion, beware when buying from HP. It is often the practice to stop supporting some systems. It has happened several other times in the past as well with several HP printers that I have purchased. As soon as there was a new OS available for some reason they stopped supporting that particular model and drivers were no longer available.

Sorry this turned out to be so long. I just wanted to be fair and clear. BEWARE!!

Collapse -
The MC101 maybe a good option for you to consider
by Sjones0000 / July 15, 2012 5:16 PM PDT

Oh no, poor <dvmarion>, that is bad luck... I heard that from many people don't get HP computers coz they are not good....

@serena_va - have you brought the MC101 you mentioned at the end? I just brought one as well and I got the barebone version, so that I can add my own OS and storage. The device works really well, the trinity doing it job well, is really fast and the graphic is brilliant, no problem with online games. I got 2 TB HDD so that I can storage series and movies I downloaded from internet. I like it very much so far, think is a good choice! good luck to you.....n maybe not HP as <dvmarion> mentioned lol </dvmarion></dvmarion> Blush
<dvmarion><dvmarion>
</dvmarion></dvmarion>

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!