TVs & Home Theaters forum

General discussion

want to buy a blu ray player but have questions

by engnr1371 / February 20, 2008 11:54 AM PST

i want to by a blu ray player am am going to by a 46 inch samsung 1080p lcd with the 120 hertz i want to get a player for it but have heard that some of them won't play certain blu ray discs? what is the most common blu ray disc, is it true that some players don't let you update the firmware to play other blu ray formats? everyone tells me to buy a p23 because they play everything very well and you get the free downloads but i allready have an xbox and don't want another game counsil if anyone can help me i would apreciate it.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: want to buy a blu ray player but have questions
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: want to buy a blu ray player but have questions
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Don't think
by dinox64 / February 20, 2008 1:22 PM PST

Of it as another game box but as your Blue Ray disc player. I'm not there yet because i'm pretty happy with my setup. But when the time comes and things haven't changed much, i'll buy the PS3,and I don't even play those things or own one of any model. Weird Sony put the technology into its game system but not the current top wanted item for many many people. I read somewhere the Panasonic BD player is upgradable and has 1.3 cable connection or whatever it is.

Collapse -
Another thing
by dinox64 / February 20, 2008 1:23 PM PST
In reply to: Don't think

If your friends have the PS3 you can play their games too as an added bonus.

Collapse -
I DON'T DO GAMING AT ALL; BUT THE SONY PS-3 IS A BEST BUY..
by Riverledge / February 20, 2008 1:36 PM PST
In reply to: Another thing

IF YOU WANT A BLU-RAY DISC PLAYER AS WELL.

PRICES are bound to fall as HD-DVD quickly fades away.

dinox64 has the right idea.

Collapse -
by givemeaname / February 20, 2008 1:57 PM PST

Of ALL Blurray players ONLY the samsung bd-p1200 will not play ALL movies. I have one (samsung bd-p1200), the only BD's it will not play as of today is 3:10 to Yuma, Across the Univers & the bonus disc (disc2) of POTC:AWE, the movie it self does play since the last-up date. Samsung is suppost to be working on an update to fix these issues.

what do you mean by "other blu ray formats", if your talking about profiles, that is diffrent. There are 3 profile: 1.0, 1.1, 2.0. 1.0 Plays the movie & JAVA games. 1.1 adds PiP; 1.1 profile movies will play on a 1.0 player. 2.0 adds ethernet port for online stuff; 2.0 profile movies will play on 1.1 & 1.0 players.

ALL BD players let you do updates, there are 3 ways;
1: you download the file to your computer, unzip the file & save as an img to a CD & install
2: call the campany & have them mail you pre made update disc & install
3: if it has an ethernet port use that to get the update.

For standalone players wait until the Panasonic DMP BD50 comes out, it is the 1st profile 2.0 (finale profile) player to hit the market. Now is out in Europe now & should be coming to the states in a few months.

http://reviews.cnet.com/Panasonic_DMP_BD50/4660-13855_7-6826915.html

Collapse -
The PS3 is the best way to go...
by stuntman_mike / February 21, 2008 2:09 AM PST

it plays movies just as well as every other BD player, up-converts DVDs to 1080p like every BD player, and has an ethernet port, like very few BD players.

The PS3 is the only BD player that is not profile 2.0, that can actually be upgraded to 2.0 spec. It is also the only BD player that you can be sure will be supported through out its life cycle with updates as they are needed. There is little chance of obsolescence within the next few years. Not every BD player can say that.

It acts as a media PC, and can stream media from your current PC to your TV. You can also install any flavor of Linux Distro and use it as a full fledged computer if you don't have one or want another one. If you know Linux or don't mind learning it obviously.

Oh yeah, and it plays games lol. You have a 360 already that plays games. So what?! If the PS3 is just as good as any other BD player, plays games, streams media, is a PC, plays games, and is cheaper than any other BD player, why would you not get one? Even if you prefer the 360 exclusive games and plan to get all multi-platform games on the 360, you mean to tell me that there is not one Sony exclusive game that you like and would be able to play and still have the best and cheapest BD player.

If this doesn't make sense to you then you are must be a 360 fanboy.

Grow up Happy

Collapse -
There are a lot of good BD players out there
by jostenmeat / February 21, 2008 3:13 AM PST

and more to come. Sharp and Pioneer haven't been mentioned. Ok, it's nearly impossible to argue the value of a PS3, especially if you are one to use all of the features. Im not that type of person, but I am an audiophile, which brings me to a couple of cons for players mentioned.

PS3: no support for Master Audio, whether bitstreamed or internally unpacked. This has to do with their implementation of the most basic Silicon Vastline HDMI 1.3 chip of the three available. There are those who believe one day it should be "upgradeable". I don't know; THE Sony rep at AVS has never alluded to a solution, and the most knowledgable about these chips that I've found says it can't be. The onus is on Sony to definitively say it will be.

Pana BD-50: based on the -5db cut in the LFE in the BD-30 player, there is speculation that Panasonic may have done nothing to fix this issue. While the LFE itself can be raised by turning up the sub gain, you would also inadvertently be overly-boosting the summed bass from x-over'd speaker channels. The only true solution, and perhaps best, is to run all towers in full-range, using the sub only for LFE, and not summed bass.

How's that for audio-comprehensive? Silly

Collapse -
I DON'T TRUST SHARP PRODUCTS, AND PIONEER'S ARE ALWAYS......
by Riverledge / February 22, 2008 2:30 PM PST

OVER-PRICED..........

THE SONY PS-3 IS NOT ONLY A BARGAIN, BUT A MACHINE TO BE TAKEN SERIOUSLY!!!

YEAH, ORIGINALLY CREATED FOR GAMERS: YET REMAINS A GREAT DEAL FOR THE MASSES. I DON'T GAME; MY NEPHEWS LOVE IT, MY SISTERS CURSE IT! CAN'T BE ALL BAD, RIGHT?

Riverledge.

Collapse -
what do you mean
by jay412 / February 23, 2008 5:00 AM PST

when you say no master audio support for the ps3? does this mean you can't have surround sound on it? i am considering ps3 as well, but not too knowledgable on the audio end?
thanks,jay412

Collapse -
depends on your receiver
by givemeaname / February 23, 2008 6:21 AM PST
In reply to: what do you mean

IF you have a receiver with HDMI & can do PCM lossless via HDMI, DTS-HD & DD-True, your fine. You will get the 5.1 advanced audio, but if your like me that has an "older" receiver you have to use analogs outs to get PCM lossless audio & depending in the player if it can interanly decode DTS-HD or DD-true you can also get that via the analogs. The problem is the PS3 ONLY has 2 analog outs so you would just get 2.0 PCM, it does have a Toslink so you can get DTS 5.1 & DD 5.1.

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!