HolidayBuyer's Guide

PC Hardware forum

General discussion

Want to build my own mini pc, but I'm a newb

by glowell / August 1, 2010 10:14 AM PDT

I want to build a micro tower desktop for under or up to $300.00

All I need it to do would be the following: Microsoft Office, E-mail, surf the web, listen to music, skype, But I can get a webcam on my own, aim, and stream videos. I do not care for that hdmi and hd stuff. Vga is fine for my purposes.

Is it possible to do that up to $350.00

If so...can someone please help me with the parts I need? Or should look at.

I only need a 160gb hard drive max. I don't have that many or plan on having that many files. I also have a portable hard drive for the matter. I just don't always wan't to use my laptop.

Also, idnc if its intel or amd nor do I care about the mother board and all that stuff. As long as I can do all that stuff smoothly I am happy. And also be a micro tower. I do prefer a micro tower case as I said before.

The monitor I can get on my own and a usb wireless network adapter as well. Also, I'd like usb 2.0 ports. Bluetooth is not necessary nor is firewire necessary.

If someone can give me a price quote for the hardware I would need to spend to make this possible, that be great.

Thanks.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Want to build my own mini pc, but I'm a newb
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Want to build my own mini pc, but I'm a newb
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Why build?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / August 1, 2010 11:11 AM PDT

At walmart I picked up an emachines 250-1162 for 228 bucks a few months ago. Why build?
Bob

Collapse -
Check around...
by Willy / August 1, 2010 10:18 PM PDT

I agree with Robert, you can find a decent system that will fit your needs if you keep an eye open for deals or specials/sales. Plus, even a used system or refurbish one from the likes of Dell and other makers offer online shopping to be the BOX only system sorta deal. While, I realize a budget is at stake here, many a user wants to upgrade sooner or later and in this light, you should consider building your own as you become familiar with it. However, a mini-system will be tight on space so choose carefully, as space can hinder you in cooling aspects besides the physical fitting. Alas, building your own means waiting for deals to arise and buy, as not always available what you like or require. AND!!! if you fall for buying the cheapest or low-cost devices, it could bite you as "cheap is cheap" and become stuck with those problems that arise. Yeah, you can build for $300, but more likely in the $400 for all new and I exclude the OS which is a cost as well, if win7 plus use of "used' items.

IMHO. you'll find quickly what $300 buys.

tada -----Willy Happy

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

The Samsung RF23M8090SG

One of the best French door fridges we've tested

A good-looking fridge with useful features like an auto-filling water pitcher and a temperature-adjustable "FlexZone" drawer. It was a near-flawless performer in our cooling tests.