Video Games & Consoles forum

General discussion

WANT TO BEEF UP MY PLAYSTATION2

by Seargent_Deathkeep / April 8, 2007 2:46 PM PDT

JUST GOT A PLAYSTATION 2 SLIM SILVER....REALLY SWEET! IM A FIRST TIME CONSOLE OWNER MYSELF, IVE ALWAYS BEEN A PC GAMER...NOW, THIS PLAYSTATION 2 I GOT IS REALLY COOL, BUT....IT COULD BE BETTER! I NEED SOME ADVISE TO BEEF UP MY PLAYSTATION 2...I WANT BETTER PICTURE, SHARPER IMAGES AND HIGHER RESOLUTION, MORE CLEAR AND REALISTIC SOUND THAT FEELS LIKE THE WIND WHISPERING IN YOUR EARS AND BASICALLY THE FEELING LIKE I AM PLAYING MY PLAYSTATION 2 IN A MOVIE THEATRE, WHERE THE GRAPHICS ARE REALISTIC, AND THE SOUND...SUPERB!

ANYWAYS,

CURRENTLY I PICKED UP -NEED FOR SPEED UNDERGROUND 2
-DESTROY ALL HUMANS 2

SECONDLY: I HAVE A -21" REGULAR TELEVISION SET
-5.1 CHANNEL DOLBY DIGITAL SURROUND SOUND
SPEAKER SYSTEM (SHAKES THE ROOM WITH THAT SUB)
-NEW DUAL RUMBLE CONTROLLER
-8MB MEMORY CARD
-THE PLAYSTATION 2 SLIM SILVER UNIT

IM THINKING OF: -OPTICLE AUDIO CABLES
-EXTERNAL HARD DRIVE (IF POSSIBLE)
-*SOMETHING TO IMPROVE GRAPHICS AND PICTURE*

CAN ANYONE HELP ME BEEF UP THIS POTENTIAL MONSTER TO THE POINT ITS NO LONGER RECOGNIZABLE FROM WHAT IT CURRENTLY IS? SEARGENT_DEATHKEEP

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: WANT TO BEEF UP MY PLAYSTATION2
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: WANT TO BEEF UP MY PLAYSTATION2
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Can't
by jackson dougless / April 8, 2007 11:34 PM PDT

First off, check your caps lock key, it seems to be broken and stuck on.

However, the PlayStation 2 is limited to 480i resolutions, 480p if the game and TV support it, but that's it. That's your standard North American TV resolution. While the PS2 CAN output 5.1 audio, it's not an in-game feature, which is rather misleading in the marketing material. It's only for DVD movies you play, OR I've seen a grand total of ONE game (Xenosaga Episode 2) that has 5.1 audio during cut-scenes. Basically, 5.1 audio would just take up way too much space on a single layer DVD, and dual layer discs cut into the profit margins quite a bit by being more expensive to produce. You'll also never get anything even close to movie theater sound without spending several thousand dollars, console or no console. Movie theaters have some VERY high end equipment to generate that sound field.

You can get svideo or component cables for the PS2, and they will improve the image quality somewhat, but you're still stuck with the resolution of standard definition TV and you need a TV that can accept those inputs. The fixed resolution is a blessing and curse. While you can't jack up the resolution, it also means that virtually every game you buy will run, and run well, on that hardware. Very different from the constant upgrade treadmill PC gamers deal with.

Also, the Slimline PS2 is not designed to have a hard drive in any way. The original PS2 had a hard drive bay, and some of the first slimline models had a place where you could solder your own IDE connection to the motherboard. The only thing there is now is using a USB HDD, but since those USB ports are USB 1.0, and thus VERY slow, they're pretty useless. I tried using USB Advance to let me put some of my more damaged game discs onto a spare HDD I had, and it didn't work out so well. Gameplay is usually fine, but any movies or cut scenes in the game are going to play for a bit, then have a long pause, play a little bit longer, long pause, etc. You also can't use it to save games, like the Xbox does, or much of anything really.

Only two games I'm aware of, in the entire history of the PS2, ever used the HDD. The main one is Final Fantasy XI, which is a MMORPG game like World of Warcraft. The international version of Final Fantasy X also could be installed on the HDD. That's it. There may be others, but they would be very, very, few in number.

The long and short of all this is that the PS2 is a fixed bit of hardware. What you see is what you get, and all you will ever have. The PS3 and Xbox 360 can output video at the highest HDTV resolutions, and presumably have in-game surround sound audio. The Wii can't, but also isn't really aimed at the same market segment as the PS3 and Xbox 360.

Collapse -
For better picture...
by mksamella / April 17, 2007 4:25 AM PDT

The best thing you can do to improve your picture, as the previous poster mentioned, is to buy component cables for the PS2 (provided your TV supports it). I HIGHLY recommend Monster Cable's Gamelink 400 if you have an HDTV or at least a flat screen that takes component inputs. In my opinion, it is worth the $40-$60 for the Monster Cable over a cheap knockoff. I also have a $10 Mad Catz component cable and did a live swap with the Gamelink Cable and immediately saw the picture's brightness increase by approximately 10%-15%. This difference becomes even more evident if your TV is larger that 40" or so. A normal component cable (made by Mad Catz, Sony, Pelican, etc.) is by no means bad, but if you want to get the most out of your PS2, go with the Monster Cables.

Also using the component cables will allow you to take advantage of the few PS2 games that utilize progressive scan (480p provided you have an HDTV). Wikipedia was nice enough to provide a list of games that do so:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Progressive_Scan_PS2_Games

***IMPORTANT***: When you begin using component cables, be sure to change your PS2 video settings to component Y/R/G (You can get to the menu by starting the PS2 without a game/DVD in it). You'll also need change the settings for sound if you decide to go with your fiber optic cable.

Collapse -
woops
by mksamella / April 17, 2007 4:31 AM PDT
In reply to: For better picture...

Ine the previous post, you need to change the PS2 video settings to Component R/G/B... sorry for the brain fart

Collapse -
Thanks!
by Seargent_Deathkeep / April 17, 2007 8:55 AM PDT
In reply to: woops

Thanks! I Appreciate The advice, Now with sound...i.e. Fiber obtic cables , how do I set something like that up? And what Equipement do I need?

Collapse -
Two things
by jackson dougless / April 17, 2007 10:28 AM PDT
In reply to: Thanks!

First, you need a fiber optic Toslink cable, and second, you need some sort of device capable of accepting Toslink signals, such as a surround receiver.

You won't really gain too much from using optical audio on the PS2 unless you use it to watch a lot of DVDs. In game audio for all PS2 games is straight stereo, sometimes Dolby ProLogic II, which is just specially encoded stereo so as to enhance upmixing. Cut scenes in games can have 5.1 audio, but aside from Xenosaga Episode 2, I've never seen a single game that does.

Also, I do believe that if you get component cables for the PS2, you MUST set the video output to component BEFORE plugging the cables in. The PS2 is unable to automatically detect what kind of cable you have connected, so you would not get a signal to the TV. And I think the previous person was mistaken. The setting should be something like Component Y' Pb Pr. RGB is your standard composite setting.

Collapse -
Sweet...How about?
by Seargent_Deathkeep / April 17, 2007 10:51 AM PDT
In reply to: Two things

Would anyone know anything about connecting together like 4-5 PS2 Slim Consoles and Having 4-5 seperate TV units to be able to have a PS2 Lan game with just your friends without the need to go online? Just like a PC with LAN Games with several PC Computers...Im sure it must be possible with PS2's new built in network card...also, I would like to have a harddrive on my PS2 Slim so I could watch movies and store games and music on the harddrive and play it through the console...just like XBox can...are these things possible?

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!