Attention: The forums will be placed on read only mode this Saturday (Oct. 20, 2018)

During this outage (6:30 AM to 8 PM PDT) the forums will be placed on read only mode. We apologize for this inconvenience. Click here to read details

Samsung forum

General discussion

Want to be able to turn on/off UN55B8000 with Bose remote

by Johnhimm / July 1, 2009 12:52 AM PDT

Hello all,
I have a Samsung UN55B8000 LED TV.
I have a Samsung Blu Ray Player BD-P3600.
I have a Scientific Atlantic HD8300 cable box.
I have a Bose Lifestyle V20 system.

The cable box and the Blu Ray player are plugged into their respective inputs on the Bose Box with HDMI cables.
Output from the Bose box to the LED TV with an HDMI cable to HDMI 2 imput on the TV.

Everything works fine.

My problem is I want to control the TV on/off with the Bose remote.

In the Bose system set up screen there is a place to set the Bose remote to control different components, like DVD, Cable box, Aux, etc.

I have selected the SA cable box configured the code and the cable box is now controlled by the Bose remote.

When I go to the TV line on the Bose set up screen and select Samsung it gives me about 40-50 codes to try, I select each code then try it and nothing happens (what is supposed to happen is that the tv goes off). I have tried this for both the Blu Ray and TV and neither will work with any of the codes supplied.

The Bose has an RF remote, and what I beleive by reading my TV manual is that the LED tv also uses a RF remote, and if the BluRay's player remote also can control the TV then its an RF remote also.

The SA cable box worked with the first cable box code entered and is now controlled by the Bose remote. It is a IR controlled box (I beleive).

Ok with all that information ( I don't think I forgot anything)

Question #1
Does anyone know how can I get my Bose remote to turn on the TV and Blu Ray player?

I know using 4 remotes is not really a big deal for me, and I will need to keep near by all remotes because of special functions each has, Like connecting to Pandora, Net Flix on the Blu Ray and checking the internet on the TV. But I have a 85 Mother-in-Law living with us, who has a hard time remembering what button to push to watch Regis Wink

The BD-P3600 Blu Ray player came with a wireless dongle, which conenected smoothly to my wireless network. Through this I can get Pandora and Net Flix. The LED TV does not come with a wireless dongle.
When I unplug the dongle from the Blu Ray and plug it into the TV I can get all my Yahoo widgets, but no pandora or Net flix.

Now for Question #2
Is there a way to get both the Pandora/Net flix & TV internet with the one dongle, or do I need to buy another dongle so each the BR and TV have a dongle?

I would have thought through Anynet+ that the two items would communicate with each other requiring only one dongle.

Thanks in advance for any response to these questions.
John
PS I know someone will say get my Mother in Law to move out but that option is not available.;-)

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Want to be able to turn on/off UN55B8000 with Bose remote
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Want to be able to turn on/off UN55B8000 with Bose remote
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
My solution
by xgolferx / July 1, 2009 1:52 AM PDT

I had some of the same issues as you discribed in setting up one remote (minus the mother-in-law issue). I finally settled on getting a new Logitech Harmony One remote. It controls everything.You can program it to turn on all components you wish to use by pushing one button. Look at CNET review and Best Buy customer reviews. Good luck.

Collapse -
Question #1 Answered By Bose
by Johnhimm / July 1, 2009 2:28 AM PDT

Update to my question.

When in doubt call the manfacturer.
Just got off the phone with Bose about my question on the Bose V20 not controlling the LED TV.
Seems that the Bose display module needs to see the face of the TV, to properly get its signal to the TV to turn it on or off.
So I rotated the display module facing the TV and tried the codes in the Bose TV set up screen and sure enough it turned it on and off.
Since this is not the way I would like the display module facing I will have to install the IR emmitter into the back of the Bose system and place the jellybean size emitter looking at the front of the TV.
The Bose technician assures me this will work fine.
John

Collapse -
Bose v20 system and 46" Samsung Series 6000 LED
by tee_1 / January 12, 2010 11:33 PM PST

Johnhimm, Did Bose solution solve your problem with V20 system. I am having the same problem with my 46" LED TV?

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!