Windows 7 forum

General discussion

want outlook express on windows 7

i spoke with numerous people, and i get yes, and no for answers on downloading outlook express. if i can, i'd rather use outlook express if i had a way to download.

Note: This post was edited by forum moderator to remove email address to prevent spam harvesters from picking it up. on 10/22/2010 on 12:38 PM PT

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: want outlook express on windows 7
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: want outlook express on windows 7
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Outlook Express

In reply to: want outlook express on windows 7

It's not supported by Microsoft. You need to download Windows Live Mail, or some other free mail program such as Gmail or Thunderbird.
Supposedly OE will not download to a Win 7 machine, but I haven't tried it. Full Outlet from Office 2003 wil work.

Collapse -
(NT) NT. Outlook Express can not be used in Win7

Collapse -
Outlook Express

Collapse -
If you insist on Outlook Express ...

Collapse -
VMware Player

In reply to: If you insist on Outlook Express ...

Collapse -
The other VM.

Collapse -
Virtual PC

You no longer need hardware virtualization!
Dave

Collapse -
Virtual PC + XP + OE

I am about to try the Virtual PC + XP + Outlook Express route with Win7 Pro but... Has anyone tried this successfully? Any drawbacks? Otherwise I wouldn't be running Virtual PC + XP at all, what's the cost?

Collapse -
I did it.

In reply to: Virtual PC + XP + OE

But my laptop has Windows 7 Pro so XP mode was supplied with the OS and it works fine on the core 2 duo with 4GB ram.

For me the cost was zero since my laptop came with 7 Pro.
Bob

Collapse -
I Did It, Too :)

In reply to: I did it.

Collapse -
Outlook express virtualization

In reply to: Virtual PC + XP + OE

OK , hold on...this is ridiculous...you want to run a virtual OS just for a Mail application. Outlook express was good, but it is still a mail application.

So download it and see if it will run in W7. Again, it is not supported by MS so there will be no more vulnerability patches. If you have Office business or professional...install Outlook instead.

Otherwise try Windows Live which replace Outlook express or Thunderbird, I have migrated to Thunderbird 3 years ago and it a 'nice" application.

Collapse -
have microsoft office installed

if you have microsoft office of any version be it office 2000,Xp,2003,2007 or 2010. it is usually installed with the applications. show check the list of programs under microsoft office,if it is not there you can add it by modifying the office application installation.

Collapse -
Two minor points you overlook.

In reply to: have microsoft office installed

1. Outlook Express isn't part of any MS Office. It was part of Internet Explorer up to IE6. No longer with IE7 and IE8 and IE9.
2. Some versions of MS Office (but not the Home and Student Edition!) came with MS Outlook. But that's a different program. And most people with MS Office installed don't even have that.

Kees

Collapse -
MS Outlook and Outlook Express aren't the same

In reply to: have microsoft office installed

Not only are Microsoft Outlook (a part of Microsoft Office)and Outlook Express NOT the same, they are pretty much incompatible with each other.

Collapse -
Outlook Express

Why on Earth would you want Outlook Express for Windows 7?
There are much better alternative email clients than OE ever was.

Try Mozilla Thunderbird 3.1.5 it is free and far more secure than OE. And it is a pretty familiar looking programme as well.

You can download it from; http://www.mozillamessaging.com/en-US/thunderbird/

Collapse -
Outlook Express

In reply to: Outlook Express

Sometimes users don't want to change from what they know. For instance, there is no way I would try to teach my 86 year old mother-in-law a new email program.

Collapse -
Re: Outlook Express

Let's hope her current machine stays alive then. It simply doesn't exist in any Vista or 7 PC, so if it fails you'll have to find another XP machine on eBay or so. There are no new ones any more since this week.

Kees

Collapse -
Agree: for some it's hard to learn a new program.

All of my computers at work and at home run XP (but three are brand new: I paid Dell for a "downgrade" to XP). The chief reason was because my office management program does not run on Vista or 7. I own the 2005 version of the software, it works fine, and an upgrade to a version that runs on 7 would run $4K or more. Also, my employees are used to XP and I don't want to stress them by forcing them to learn Win 7. I do own a new Netbook with Win 7 and I run LiveMail on that machine, but it's only for travel and not a daily driver.

The XP computers all run OE as the mail program. The computer I use at my desk developed some corruption and it tends to "stick" or "hang" when checking the six mail accounts I use on OE. I do have the original XP install disk and possibly could reinstall or repair OE, but instead I chose to try Mozilla Thunderbird. Works beautifully, and my only gripe is that there is no unified Inbox for all accounts: instead, you get an Inbox for each account. There may be a way to send all incoming mail into a new custom Inbox but I've only used it since last Saturday and haven't gotten that far in customizing it to meet my needs.

That said, my 81 year old father uses OE every day. I do not know how well he would do with Thunderbird or LiveMail or any interface that looked difference than what he now has. For many people his age, it was a struggle just to learn to use internet and e-mail. I suspect many of them don't really enjoy it, but do it as a way to keep in touch with family and friends. His computer runs Vista Home Premium, but he uses his OE and doesn't want to change.

Collapse -
Virtual PC & OE

In reply to: Agree: for some it's hard to learn a new program.

I found that the Microsoft Virtual PC XP Mode works well for legacy programs. You can also run OE from within Virtual PC.

My in-laws are in their 80's also and there is no way I would upgrade them to Win7. It took them long enough to learn OE (I still have to connect remotely on occasion to fix their mess-ups) and I cannot see trying to get them to learn a new email client. I will be working as long as I can to keep their WinXP PC up and running.

Collapse -
It's Downloadable

When Windows 7 was introduced last year, many complained about Outlook Express no longer being included in the OS. In response, Microsoft offered it as a free download add-on, on their site. You will probably have to dig around there some to find it - as they 'push' whatever is the latest thing at the moment (Windows Mail - which is part of Windows Live Essentials 2011, released this week) - and bury everything else, thousands of choices, pretty deep in the menus.

Personally, I have used Google's web-based Gmail for several years now. It provides the same ability to archive your messages, filed as you choose, and manage multiple e-mail accounts in one place, without it all tying up space on your hard drive. They also have the world's best Spam Filter, which is customizable. The main drawback is you have to be Online to view any of your mail - but so long as you are, it works like a charm.

Collapse -
Re: downloadable

In reply to: It's Downloadable

I doubt if that's true. Please provide the download link.

After all, OE came with IE6. It was already left out of Vista. So it's quite unlikely for me that they re-introduced it in 7.

Kees

Collapse -
Thunderbird is the way to go

I too also liked OE and was disappointed seeing it was not with W7. I, however did find T-Bird to have a very easy learning curve. I use gmail as my primary and set it up to download into T-Bird on my command. Moving contacts & mail from OE was easy & simple.
It allows me to delete any stuff I do not need in T-Bird so I have complete control of what I want in that program.
Check it out. I am not a novice user, however I am definitely not a computer geek. Just your average senior citizen.

Collapse -
Outlet Express

In reply to: Thunderbird is the way to go

Notice to all:

Microsoft has recently updated their mail program. Try Windows Live Mail. Much superior to the old MSN mail.

Collapse -
Don't Like It

In reply to: Outlet Express

I've tried Windows Live Mail 2011, and I don't like it. Verizon's Webmail interface is easier to use and manage than Wibdows Live Mail is. I was very disappointed; I had hoped the Live product would fill my needs, but it doesn't.

Collapse -
Close To OE

In reply to: Don't Like It

I came from OE and was able to set up WLM so it looks almost the same as OE. I was able to get used to the minor differences.

Collapse -
Agree

In reply to: Thunderbird is the way to go

My copy of OE became corrupted and I don't have time to learn how to do re-download it (if possible) or repair it. As I have the OEM Windows XP install disk, it may be repairable, not sure, but it doesn't appear in Add/Remove programs in Control Panel.

I found it simpler to change to Thunderbird, which works beautifully. After you change it to you default mail program in Internet Options, it will work seamlessly with browser functions such as "send file" or "send link". Also, the "make my pictures smaller" function, which reduces file sizes for easy mailing (lets you send 20 photos instead of 2 or 3) works with Thunderbird: select a group of image files, right click and select "send to e-mail recipient" A "make my photos smaller" dialogue box will appear: you may opt to send original sizes, or select from one of three smaller resolutions. Windows does the work for you and then loads the smaller files into an e-mail (Thunderbird, if you have changed default e-mail setting to Thunderbird).

I fixed my e-mail problem in fifteen minutes with the Thunderbird download. The normal default program for Thunderbird is IMAP, but you can easily change to POP3 when you configure your mail accounts. I had to enter the pop and smtp addresses, along with user name and password, but Thunderbird automatically detected the proper port settings.

My only gripe is the lack of a unified Inbox....I have an Inbox for each mail account (six of them....). There may be a way to create a single Inbox and change the default incoming mail location to a single Inbox, but I haven't found the time to try this yet.

Collapse -
Windows mail

You can't get Outlook express for Windows 7. However you can get WidowsMail the Vista mail program which is quite similar. Go to Windows 7 Forum and search for importing WindowsMail and follow their directions

Collapse -
Virtual PC

In reply to: Windows mail

As was mentioned earlier, you can run OE from within virtual PC under Win7.

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

SMART HOME

This one tip will help you sleep better tonight

A few seconds are all you need to get a better night's rest.