Attention: The forums will be placed on read only mode this Saturday (Oct. 20, 2018)

During this outage (6:30 AM to 8 PM PDT) the forums will be placed on read only mode. We apologize for this inconvenience. Click here to read details

Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

Want more control of downloads.

by caktus / April 5, 2005 4:46 AM PDT

Using XP Home SP2 it seems I have no choice as to where program downloads setup files are placed and in many cases it seem they are automatically installed w/o my having a chance to scan them for viruses etc. I guess the Windows Security Center was suposed to handle the scanning part, but I disabled it as it made the system too cumbersome to work with, was too invasive, and I just like having control of security functions.

In fact, the only thing I like at all about XP is the lack of System Resources concern.

I would like to handle download setup file placement and installation as though I were still using Windows ME and IE SP1. Could someone out there help me accomplish this.

Thank you. Have a great day.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Want more control of downloads.
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Want more control of downloads.
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
(NT) (NT) What program downloads?
by glb613 / April 5, 2005 7:34 AM PDT
Collapse -
Any...
by caktus / April 5, 2005 11:35 AM PDT

For example, today I tried to D/L IE: SP1 to see if it might have this feature I am seeking. I'm now using SP2.

Every kind of program (ZA, Sygate Personal Firewall, SETI Driver, WinPatrol, No Frills Timer, any/all program D/L's do not permit me to choose the folder to witch to D/L and seem to automatically install after downloading.

It seems as though XP was designed for user's who have no inclination or concern to perform or maintain the security of their computer. I don't feel at all comfortable hoping. My system is being kept secure. I feel better knowing it is secure.

Collapse -
I'm running XP. . .
by Coryphaeus / April 5, 2005 8:07 AM PDT
Collapse -
I agree
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / April 5, 2005 8:33 AM PDT
In reply to: I'm running XP. . .

There should never be a time when you do not state where a file is downloaded to. that's fundamental in keeping control of what Windows and the internet does.

And I have never downloaded a file that has installed immediately. If I download anything I save it to my desktop first as a temporary storage area, and then scan it for viruses before opening it or installing it.

Mark

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) Same here, til I started using XP Home.
by caktus / April 5, 2005 1:15 PM PDT
In reply to: I agree
Collapse -
RE: I'm running XP. . .
by caktus / April 5, 2005 1:12 PM PDT
In reply to: I'm running XP. . .

Thanks Coryphaeus. That worked when D/L'g SecureIT at http://www.freedownloadcenter.com/Reviews/r78.html
(http://www.freedownloadcenter.com/Reviews/r78.html)

However, using 'open in new window' to d/l Bluescreen at http://www.sysinternals.com/ntw2k/freeware/bluescreensaver.shtml
(http://www.sysinternals.com/ntw2k/freeware/bluescreensaver.shtml)Bluescreen immediately d/l'd then unzipped. And I have no idea where it went. I even searched for it using Search For Files and Folders searching All Files and Folders. I even did an extensive manual search with the exception that I couldn't fine the Oblivion folder. d/l'd it again using 'open in new window' and the same thing happened.

Any idea what might be going wrong here?

BTW, where you been hidden'? Was thinking you might've gotten lost in that great illusive oblivion folder.

BTW again, I have no idea why the links I provided above were obscured by asteriscs. This has never occured in one of my posts before. I couldn't even bury them within parenthesis. Any thoughts on this?

Although I just ran my virus/pest utilities this afternoon, I'm gonna update and run them again. I'll check back later.

Thanks

Collapse -
I'm confused
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / April 5, 2005 8:56 PM PDT

Caktus,

Are you saying that you "do not get a choice" of where to download files to?

Also, if you download programs, are you saying that "they are installed automatically"?

Can you try this? On these forum pages, top right is a "CNET At Work" logo image with a man's face. If you right click that image you should get various options, including "Save Picture As", (IE), or "Save Image As", (Mozilla).

Do you get either of those options? If so, click the Save xxx As option and a Save As dialogue box should open. Do you get that? If so, choose "Desktop" in the list of icons on the left, and save.

Does this save a copy of the image to your desktop?

If not, at what point does this process fail?

If that works ok, then the same process should work for all downloaded files. The process is slightly different for downloading programs of course, as when you click a link to download a program you should get a "What do you want to do with this file" message, giving options to open, or download, and if you choose download, the Save As dialogue window should open.

With SP2 and IE, the message is different. You get a "File Download - Security Warning" window, which says "Do you want to run or save this file?"

Does none of this work with you? If that is the case, at what step does it fail?

Mark

Collapse -
[b]I[/b] was confused
by caktus / April 6, 2005 4:37 AM PDT
In reply to: I'm confused

I was trying "open in new window". "Save target as" is making the d/l's work as they should.

This morning search for files and folders indicates that the d/l of Bluescreen (d/l'd just now by l/clicking the d/l link) went to: Content.IE5 in folder C:\Documents and Settings\Default User\ Local Settings\Temporary Internet Files. But following this exact path this Temporary Internet Files folder contains only Contact.IE5 folder wich is empty.

Also, search for files and folders indicates that the same d/l of Bluescreen went to C:\Window system32\config\systemprofile\Local Settings\Temporary Internet Files\Content.IE5. However, the d/l file of Bluescreen is not there either. The only items there are folders "4ZW3K5MT" "GBM547GV" "U7IXOTQF" and "WF2ZI92X" (what ever they are) all of wich are empty.

Search for files and folders is set to search for system folders, hidden files and folders, and subfolders.

Collapse -
caktus
by roddy32 / April 5, 2005 9:29 PM PDT

This is not an answer to your original problem, you are already getting help from Mark and others but to answer your question about the links you posted not working correctly, CNET is experimenting with filters for spam and it is doing that to some key words, such as "free". There is a link in Forum Feedback about it if you would like to read about it.
http://reviews.cnet.com/5208-7598-0.html?forumID=51&threadID=94507&messageID=1071639

Collapse -
Thanks roddy32
by caktus / April 6, 2005 3:38 AM PDT
In reply to: caktus

Thought I was loosing more control of my machine, my self, or someting.

Collapse -
Me too. LOL I was trying to post updates
by roddy32 / April 6, 2005 3:53 AM PDT
In reply to: Thanks roddy32

and news articles in the V&S forum and any of the links that had the word free in them weren't working but the others were. LOL. I was baffled until I saw Jonah's post about something simliar. Hopefully they will fix it soon.

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) For [b]once[/b] it ain't me.
by caktus / April 6, 2005 6:26 AM PDT
Collapse -
RE:
by Cursorcowboy / April 5, 2005 11:45 PM PDT

If the download option Always ask before opening this type of file is Null, files downloaded are automatically saved in the Temporary Internet File (TIF) folder and opened by the associated program. You are therefore not prompted for a location, [Q177976]. If you want to be prompted for a download location for a given file type:

a. Open My Computer/Explorer, View, Folder Options.

b. On the File Types tab, click the appropriate file type in the Registered File Types box wanted.

c. Click Edit, and then select the Confirm Open After Download check box. Click OK twice to close.

Collapse -
RE: RE:
by caktus / April 6, 2005 4:57 AM PDT
In reply to: RE:

No Folder Options in View menu. Foun it in Tools menu. In File Types I'm not sure wich File Type to select. If it's Windows Installer Package the Confirm After Download box is already selected. Always show extension is unchecked if that's of any consequence.

Collapse -
The file type you want...
by Edward ODaniel / April 6, 2005 8:15 AM PDT
In reply to: RE: RE:

is the file type of the specific download that auto installs and I will almost bet it will be a ZIP file and somewhere along the line you indicated you always wanted it opened rather than "asking".

Collapse -
And also
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / April 6, 2005 8:04 PM PDT

for "Confirm Open After Download", this should be .exe files as well.

Programs can be downloaded in zip format, eg some-program.zip, or in exe format, eg this-program.exe.

So you would also want Windows to ask about these type of files once downloaded before it opens them.

I didn't know about that Confirm Open After Download option. Very useful information.

Although, strangely, I couldn't find EXE in my list of file types to check for myself. So I'm not sure how useful this information will be.

Mark

Collapse -
RE -- just for kicks. . .
by Cursorcowboy / April 7, 2005 12:00 AM PDT
In reply to: And also

Can you open the registry and verify the Binary value for EditFlags at the following address which I believe will consist of four double alphanumerical values -- usually one set may be zero-one (01) that would cause the nulling of Always ask before opening this type of file, [Q140991] and [Q555067]:

HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\exefile\shell\open

At this address, the Command value for the .exe file extension would always be "%1" %*.

Collapse -
RE: kicks. . .
by caktus / April 8, 2005 5:29 AM PDT

Open shows:
(Default) REG_SZ (value not set)
EditFlags REG_BINARY 00 00 00 00.

Command only shows:
(Default) REG_SZ "%1" %*

Collapse -
Meaning that any
by Cursorcowboy / April 9, 2005 12:17 AM PDT
In reply to: RE: kicks. . .

file with an extension of .exe should produce a context menu wanting to know what should be done with it.

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) Thanks everyone, for helping me get it right.
by caktus / April 6, 2005 11:59 PM PDT

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!