General discussion

Want D drive to load instead of my C drive

I gave my 14 year old PC (Gateway P-133) running Win98 SE to a friend.

He called to say that the CD-Rom drive died, so I reaplaced it with a rebuilt CD-RW which works fine, and I also replaced a NEC PCI Card.

I want the second hard drive D to load instead of the primary C drive when I start this PC. I can't remember how I did it when I owned it, and there is a program on the D drive he needs.

There must be a simple way to bring up the D hard drive, instead of the C hard drive, when the PC is turned on, so I can get that program running for him?

Thanks for the help, Thom

Discussion is locked

Follow
Reply to: Want D drive to load instead of my C drive
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: Want D drive to load instead of my C drive
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
Boot sequence

Settings, boot sequence, select D drive

- Collapse -
Boot sequence

Thanks, I will give it a try. Sounds logical to me, but my memory is fading too.

Thom

- Collapse -
Book Sequence??

I thought this would be easy, but I can't find the "boot sequence" option under settings?

Can you give me some instructions on how to find it, then make the changes?

Also, when the PC starts up, is there a way to tell which hard drive is being used -- C or D?

Thanks, Thom

- Collapse -
I don't know about you but I am getting confused.

Let's start over. What is the computer doing and what are you trying to do that the computer is not doing? Why do you want to bootup D when you can't tell us whether D holds another operating system or not? This computer has one harddrive or two harddrives?

- Collapse -
OK, let me try to outline my needs better.

First, when my friend called me two months ago, he told me the CD-Rom drive wouldn't work, because he had a program for estimating insurance claims for rebuilding cars that could not be read, so he was using guesswork.

When I arrived at his body shop a month ago, yes, the CD-Rom drive was bad, but one of the PCI cards was also bad, so I replaced them both, before doing anything else.

No problem here, they are both working fine.

Next, I tried to find this insurance software for estimating the costs to repair damaged cars, but it was not on the C-Drive, or when I clicked on the desktop icon, it would not open.

He told me that on his own, he did something in the control panel that allowed him to use the default settings, trying to make the software work, but things for him only got worse.

I finally remembered that this OLD PC had two hard drives, and I clicked on "MY COMPUTER" and saw the D drive, the second hard drive, and found the missing software in its complete form, with all the estimating algorithms for different cars and the costs, but while I could see the different parts of this insurance software, I couldn't bring it up to see an excel view showing columns and rows with the different costs for replacing something like a rear quarter panel, with paint and all the bells and whistles.

That is when I remembered using the D Drive, and having all the normal desktop icons available to be able to click and open and then to use different programs, like this car insurance program that I installed 8 years ago.

I wanted to recall the process I used, but it just wouldn't come back to me, and that is when I posted here at C-NET hoping to find someone who knew how to open the D-Drive as my main hard-drive and to see all the icons on the D-Drive desktop.

I Think I used "Norton Ghost" to copy all the programs from the original C-drive to the second D-Drive that is 3 times bigger than the C-Drive. They are both small (C is 1.76 GB and the D is 4.76 GB) and they are both half used.

This is only a guess, but if the D-Drive was "a ghost of the original" C-Drive, then the operating system should have been copied too, or WIN98SE should be on both, BUT this is "only a guess."

Remember, please, that this old Gateway P-133 PC is 14 years old, and I gave it to my young friend 8 years ago, and haven't done anything on it since then. I did install a much larger Evergreen chip on it, which helped everything work better. That much I remember.

OK, I hope this helps, and I do appreciate your willingness to help me, because I want to try to help my friend whose business isn't doing well, and he cannot afford to buy a new PC.

Many, many thanks for checking back.

Thom

being able to make it my desktop so I could click on the different icons and open the programs like they were intended to open.

- Collapse -
My question is...

why D isn't there when you bootup C? Is D corrupted? Did you have a dual boot system? If so, did you use a "boot manager"? Of course you can always just change the boot sequence and see what happen.

- Collapse -
My answers are lousy

I will try the settings, boot sequence, and select D to see if this works.

I really don't remember whether there was a dual boot system, or if I used a dual boot manager? I gave the old Win98SE computer to a friend eight years ago, and I have had three PCs since then of my own.

Any way to check this out using find files and folders or the run command?

Thom

- Collapse -
Re: 2 ways

The easy way: just copy the shortcuts from whereever they are to his current desktop. Or make new ones. Can't be more than 60, I'd say.

The difficult way: switch the disks so the master becomes the slave and the other way around.

Kees

- Collapse -
Switching the hard-drives?

Kees:

Q1: This sounds doable, and I have the PC at my house now, but he really needs it back soon.

Can I merely find both hard-drives (now stacked) then switch the ribbons from drive C to drive D? I may have to more the hard-drives so the ribbons will fit. I guess only I can answer that question, once I remove the cover, and look at the drives.

Once I move the drives, so the ribbon plugs will fit, are there any changes to be made to make D read as C?

Q2. When you say to copy the shortcuts, can I merely go to the D-drive from MY COMPUTER, and click to open the D Drive showing all the software, and copy and paste the needed parts of the auto estimating software from D to C. In other words, is it that easy?

Every time I think something will be easy, I shoot myself in the foot by not asking first. You know, look before you leap!

Thanks for the reply, Thom

- Collapse -
Re: questions

Master and slave have different positions on the cable and different settings of jumpers on the disk (unless they are cable select, but that's unlikely with such old hardware). The current d: will be c: then. The current c: will be d: then.

Copying shortcuts across devices can be difficult. So can be running programs that have got another driveletter than when they were installed: if they were installed on the c: and the d: is a clone of the c:, in effect they are rather brutally moved. If I were you, I'd make a new shortcut to whatever you need on the current desktop and see if it works.

Kees

- Collapse -
You are dead right!

Kees:

About the copy and paste routine, the C drive is so small that the auto insurance program was too big to be pasted on the C-drive (it's only 1.76 GB) The D-drive is 4.76 so much better for a desktop, but it doesn't sound like I can do it with jumpers and all.

I wish I was a bit more savvy regarding the jumpers for the C and D once I swap them, but I never got this involved in building PCs back when I could have handled the jumpers.

To make matters worse, I am diabetic, and had a low blood sugar episode when I was ready to leave my friend's shop with the PC, and somehow we or I lost the WIN98SE operating system disk. I kick myself for this, but my memory during those low blood sugar (BS) times is not there. It could have fallen out of the truck when I got gas, and if my BS was still low, being careful and checking to see if I had the disk is not very probable. 40 years with diabetes makes me careful NOT to drive when it is real low, but it sometimes takes 30-minutes to get back to normal thinking Sad

Q3. Sorry to keep asking you more questions, but is there an "easy way to create a shortcut to the D-drive insurance program" so it can be read using the WIN98SE op system on the C-Drive when it loads??

Thanks again, Thom

- Collapse -
Ok I maybe wrong, but...

I don't think you have 2 OS in that computer. I think the easiest to do first would be try to open this program, be it with shotcut or not. When you browse the program files, do you see a .exe file? If you do, double click on it to see if the program would open.

- Collapse -
many .exe files

OK, I have been scratching my head and standing looking at thie old PC for better than an hour now, but nothing jumps out at me.

First off, there are a ton of files and folders inside of this "auto estimating" program (BTW, he paid for the software disk 6 years ago, so he is NOT pirating anything). He does have the old Disk, and maybe I will be able to use it to tweak the many folders located on the D-drive when I get the message, "file cannot be opened." Then, I can insert the "insurance program disk" into the newly installed CD-RW drive, and let the correct data be found to open the folder.

For example, within one of the folders, called "aces," there are many other folders, and I looked in every one of them, until I got to the "tools" folder, and found many .exe files, like: Dbtest.exe; Dcmpserv.exe; Estimate.exe; Frenitit.exe; Frlock.exe; and so on.

I am only guessing now, but just maybe, when I use the insurance disk he paid for (the auto insurance software disk), in the CD-RW that it may open the files and folers shown for this insurance estimating software, called Ultramate.

I guess now I have to take the PC, monitor, keyboard, and mouse back to his shop and see if my idea may work.

I will get back to you when I have tried my idea to let you know if it worked; if not, maybe it is time to cut bait, because I really have been fishing hard using all your bait, and have caught nothing Happy

Thom

- Collapse -
clicking on .exe files

BTW, clicking on the .exe files won't open them. That is why I am going to try using the old insurance estimating disk to see if this may do the trick.

Thanks, Thom

- Collapse -
How to create shortcut from C-drive to program in D-drive???

Is there an easy way to create a shortcut in the C-drive to the "insurance software" folder located in the D-drive? Do I need to modify the shortcut to include the location of the file, like, D:\Mitchell\file.exe?

Thanks for the reply, as I need to create a shortcut before I try to use the disk to open the .exe files.

Thanks, Thom

- Collapse -
The missing disk?

It turns out that the disk he had was not a program disk, as I thought, and the only way to open the folder on the D-Drive is to use the insurance program executable disk.

All these hours of work changing CD-Rom drives, and then locating good PCI cards, resulted in nothing.

Well, nothing, isn't exactly correct; I learned some new things in the process, and they can't take that away from me.

Many, many thanks for the help from all of you who responded or replied so quickly.

CNET is a great place to get help and I am glad to have come here for some solutions.

Many Thanks, Thom

CNET Forums

Forum Info