Computer Help forum

General discussion

wanna throw pc out da window

by chess1026 / November 8, 2004 11:29 AM PST

I want to burn mp3s using nero, but when i try to open source file, it hangs. so i hit ctrl alt del and end task nero (not responding). i checked the blank cd i inserted and the properties show it's all blue (full) when i have not written anything yet on it, they're brand new...i have actually wasted 6 blank cds already.

so i restarted the pc but i noticed on the desktop the cursor changes to hourglass every 5 seconds...something's loading (a virus? a spyware?). then i remembered it only occurred after installing norton 2005 (pirated - not full feature). i uninstalled it from the control panel, registry, win explorer, temp files. i've also observed whenever i start up, InCd software is in my systray (it came along with Nero). I don't use cd-rw, do i really need InCd? Does it interfere when i insert a cd-r? I suspect InCd tried to "format" my blank cds and they all turned blue. I'm confused which is the culprit here. I ran msconfig, clicked start up and unchecked InCd, then i noticed a checkbox but it's empty...doesn't say anything on it...i don't know if it's a spyware or virus.

do you think Norton sucks? The tech didn't recommend i use it again. Instead he wanted to install AVG, but i said norton's fine with me, and now i'm beginning to see his wisdom.

worse, i have virtual drives on my pc which were installed by the technician after reformatting my pc. i have a d: which contains all my backup files from before my pc crashed. i have an e: and an f: which the tech advised me to use if i wanna play pc games. and i have a g: that reads my cds and which i also use for burning (combo). I don't understand virtual drive, i don't know how to use them. is it really wise to have them? should i keep them? or get rid of them and how?

i'm so disappointed with my present pc:
ASUS P4-533DDR 1.8 ghz 256
InnoGEForce 5200
ASUS cdwriter (combo)
Win 98SE

I was better off with my IBM Netvista, ME.

Feel like throwing my pc out the window.

Please enlighten.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: wanna throw pc out da window
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: wanna throw pc out da window
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re: wanna throw pc out da window
by douggsbc / November 8, 2004 12:10 PM PST

I had some bigtime performance problems due to spyware. I have two freeware spyware programs I use. I never run them together. Get SPYBOT at this web site http://www.download.com/3120-20_4-0.html?qt=spybot&tg=dl-20
be sure to check for updates after you download. Look for DSO EXPLOIT when you run it. DSO EXPLOIT was the one causing most of my trouble if not all of it. I also would download Ad-Aware by Lavasoft, get latest update and run that after you finish with Spybot Search and Destroy. The website for AdAware is http://www.download.com/3120-20_4-0.html?qt=adaware&tg=dl-2001&search.x=27&search.y=8

Hope this helps, good luck.

Collapse -
by chess1026 / November 8, 2004 1:38 PM PST

gee thanks i'll try it if i can still hold on to my sanity till i get home from work

Collapse -
by chess1026 / November 9, 2004 10:53 AM PST

It seems I'd gotten rid of the "hourglass" on my desktop when I started up my pc...that is after unchecking/disabling InCd and Vdtask.

But I still need to understand virtual drives...haven't played any pc games since my pc got reformatted...afraid it might crash again.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 51,912 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,498 discussions
icon
Laptops 20,411 discussions
icon
Security 30,882 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 21,253 discussions
icon
Windows 10 1,672 discussions
icon
Phones 16,494 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,855 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 15,504 discussions

REVIEW

Meet the drop-resistant Moto Z2 Force

The Moto Z2 Force is really thin, with a fast processor and great battery life. It can survive drops without shattering.