Speakeasy forum

General discussion

Wanna see pics of the gadget that could rob you at the ATM machine..

by John Robie / April 6, 2004 8:06 AM PDT

Check out Urban Legends Reference Pages: Crime (ATM Camera)

"A team of organized criminals is installing equipment on legitimate bank ATMs in at least 2 regions to steal both the ATM card number and the PIN."

http://www.snopes.com/crime/warnings/atmcamera.asp

Don't know if this has been posted before as I have not been reading/posting hardly any in CNet due to the "crawlings", although seems ok right now.

Never understood how so many people can mismanage their money to use ATM machines, even use them at night...unarmed, along with paying high interest on credit cards. I like and use credit cards paying them off each month.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Wanna see pics of the gadget that could rob you at the ATM machine..
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Wanna see pics of the gadget that could rob you at the ATM machine..
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Wanna see pics of the gadget that could rob you at the ATM machine..

Dear John

Thanks for the info (and that in the Newbies forum also). I note the bottom line of the article as being particularly significant - maybe they should have put it at the top! - being (extract from your link):

Quote: Good advice would be to get into the habit of using the same ATM for almost all of your transactions so as to better recognize when something is different with the machine. Be wary of any changes you see on its outside. If it's affixed to a bank, walk in and ask why the changes were made. - Unquote

Do you think we should all go back to stuffing our cash under the mattress again?

Appreciate the info.

Regards
Mo

Collapse -
Coffee tin dug in my veg garden with secret map is best I've used ;-)...(nt)

Collapse -
(NT) LOL Then all you gotta do is remember where the veg garden is... Regards, Mo

Collapse -
Scary scam. I'll be keeping an eye out in future. Showed that page to wife too. [nt]

Collapse -
Re:Thanks for the info John. Good Pictures(nt)

Collapse -
John, good info. I am confused however by your comment

'how so many people can mismanage their money to use ATM machines'. Why do you think the use of an ATM is money mismanagement?

It's simply a convenient way to get cash, and is far more convenient than a check. As a general rule, I only use ATMs at my bank. It's not security, I'm just too cheap to pay ATM fees. When I get cash, I get a few hundred dollars at a time which lasts me for awhile. I also don't make deposits via ATMs, and keep all my withdrawel receipts. I also use a credit card, paid off every month, but sometimes cash is needed.

Collapse -
Re: John, good info. I am confused however by your comment

Hi, KP.

I usually get my cash by using a debit card to pay a relatively small (<$10) grocery bill. But I agree with you about proper money management including ATM and credit cards, if you're disciplined. The credit card company hates me -- not only do they never make any interest, but we typically get at least two free plane tickets per year for our $59 annual membership fee. We usually use them to fly to and from Boston (well, Providence airport) at Thanksgiving time, when you usually can't get cheap seats (Southwest still doesn't load-limit frequent flier seats -- if there's an empty seat on the plane, it's yours outside of certain blackout dates). Full freight on those two seats is over $1150...

-- Dave K, Speakeasy Moderator
click here to email semods4@yahoo.com

The opinions expressed above are my own,
and do not necessarily reflect those of CNET!

Collapse -
Re:Re: John, good info. I am confused however by your comment
by John Robie / April 7, 2004 5:20 AM PDT

I have a relative that uses their card to get two free flights to Las Vegas every year also.

Was visiting them just last week, and talk about saving some $$ with a credit card. They went to Home Depot to get a low cost riding lawn mower. Bought one for $895. Right then and there signed up for their credit card, which entitled them for a 10% discount. When bill comes in they will pay cash so made/saved $89.50. Think they will then cancel card.

Collapse -
Re:John, good info. I am confused however by your comment
by John Robie / April 6, 2004 1:46 PM PDT

Oh, was thinking about the people who pay for ATM use (like my brother and daughter). I'm still living in the old days, never saw a need for ATM's. After observation, I am of my opinion that some people just can't manage their money to have the necessary cash on hand by just going to the bank during banking/credit union hours. I belong to 3 credit unions and one bank for convience, don't have a lot of $ in any, but just enough where I don't pay anything for checking accounts (they pay me), send off for printed cheap checks (don't buy the high priced ones the bank/credit union sell you), and even use free withdrawal slips for getting cash out of my checking account at the nearest credit union so I don't have to write a check. I normally get enough cash for a couple weeks, using credit cards for most things. I haven't had a bank/credit union charge for anything in many, many years. Don't guess banks would like everyone to be like me, something like how I shoot craps in Vegas. If everyone played craps like me (strickly by the book) then all the crap tables would fold up (read that in a couple gambling books).

Collapse -
Re: John, good info. I am confused however by your comment

Hi, John.

>>some people just can't manage their money to have the necessary cash on hand by just going to the bank during banking/credit union hours.<<

Jeesh -- to be kind, you're extending your own experience to other people's lifestyles. Ever hear the term "bankers hours?" Unless you want to use a bank at a supermarket (which doesn't have safety boxes, for one thing), most people are WORKING when the bank is open!

-- Dave K.
Speakeasy Moderator

Collapse -
Re:Re: John, good info. I am confused however by your comment
by John Robie / April 7, 2004 4:59 AM PDT

Ah...you are one of those people...banking hours...lol. Most Credit Unions don't close till 6-7 PM and stay open all day Saturdays (aren't they for the members hours..not the rich bankers hours). Join your nearest one...maybe church...etc. I believe the rules now are that you can join any credit union (or branch) that is in your immediate area without meeting the overall requirements for normal membership. Joining only requires $5 up front at most. Preaching....get off that ATM which with several methods to rob you using fake identities, can also get you killed outside at night. Get enough cash when you can and with your American Express it should last you a week or so..

I'm beginning to wonder why I even have a banking account. Interest rates on CD's (shares) as well as money market and other accounts are always higher paying than a bank. Free checking accounts if balance is at a certain minimum . Usually if you have only a $2 balance in your checking, but have other money in savings, CD's, MM, etc.. that will count as having a minimum balance. Need a loan for that new car, truck, bike, boat, motorhome, trailer...gads...much lower rates at a credit union, and if you have a CD that is equal or higher than the amount needed, can get the loan at a rate of half the amount of what the CD is paying in interest or 3%. Those zero percent loans car dealers are hawking are a laugh...they makeup the dollars they would normally get with a % loan.

Continued

Collapse -
(Continued)....Dang forum system, besides slow have to make two parts on a reply..

(Cont'd from previous post)

Right now I'm personally fortunate in having everything paid off (including my home), have a safety box at the credit union (besides the coffee can in my garden), and 3 credit unions, one closer than a bank. I can't remember the last time I paid any interest on our 4 credit cards, (that don't require any yearly $ charge don't get those pay one),...maybe 15 years ago.

Silas Marner

Collapse -
Re: the gadget that could rob you at the ATM machine.

Hi, John.

One of the news magazine shjows did an expose of this scam in the summer or fall. Their conclusion -- never use an ATM that's not specifically branded by a bank. Glad we didn't know that when we were in Russia (had no problems -- and believe it or not, no fees, beyond the usual poor exchange rate!)

-- Dave K, Speakeasy Moderator

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!