Computer Newbies forum

General discussion

wanna buy the best gaming pc

by olivermaengkom / June 11, 2007 3:09 PM PDT

hi..
i wanna buy a pc that have the best performance in gaming. But, i dont know the right spec.
help me pls....

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: wanna buy the best gaming pc
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: wanna buy the best gaming pc
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re:wanna buy the best gaming pc
by KangKnight / June 11, 2007 3:15 PM PDT

The second most expensive computer is what you need Wink

Collapse -
Price range?
by John.Wilkinson / June 11, 2007 3:15 PM PDT

A gaming machine can easily exceed $5,000, and with customizations even more than that. (There exists a graphics card that costs $2,500 alone.) Thus, your price range is an essential starting point. Perhaps also what games you plan on playing...you don't want to pay top dollar if you could get the same performance at a fraction of the price.

Let us know.
John

Collapse -
Well..
by steve749 / June 12, 2007 1:59 AM PDT
VoodooPC Omen won the Ultimate PC Gaming challenge over at ExtremeTech though I would note that it will likely cost quite a bit to get in terms of time and money.

Regards,
JB
Collapse -
Great stuff
by ridingoncloudz / June 15, 2007 10:48 AM PDT
In reply to: Newest one I saw

From many computer goo-roos AMD processors are the way to go. I'm using a 4400 dual AMD processor with a GFORCE 6700, graphics cards come in all different areas. There is PCI, AGP, PCI-Express. I have one of my gaming comp, with a Pen 4 3.06 1 gig ram, and a radeon PX850 256 DDR2 card which has 16 pipelines; runs awesome with game.

PCI express is the newest. But you don't need 2-3 gigs of ram to run a game unless your running VISTA. Most of the time people buy more ram than its equivalent motherboard front side bus. Don't build or buy something too powerful than your internet connection, otherwise your wasting cash.

Collapse -
Here's my Dell E521
by kpo6969 / June 17, 2007 5:00 AM PDT
In reply to: Great stuff

1400.00 including upgrades. Not the best, not the worst:
AMD64x2 4400(2.3Ghz)
3GB DDR2 PC5300@667Mhz
XFX 8600GT XXX 256mb 620/1600Mhz
Vista Home Premium WEI base 5.0 aero 5.9 gaming 5.6
305w psu(stock)

Collapse -
I'd say it should be something...
by ozos / July 5, 2007 9:09 PM PDT

In the $2000 range, anything over and you've gotten into sales gimmicks or excessive monitor configurations. While 30" LCDs that can do 2560x1600 may LOOK cool, theres no Direct3D capable graphics subsystem in the world that can handle 2560x1600 in modern gaming with any decent performance (8800 Ultra SLI can get close, but seriously, $1700 just for graphics cards is somewhat insane).

AMD used to hold the title of being "the choice" for computer enthusiasts, but Intel's Core 2 is just too good to ignore. The Core 2 Quadro is dropping in price in about 20 days, bringing quad core processors to the $250 price point (AMD doesn't currently offer a quad core). Quad cores are beneficial for Supreme Commander, and digital content creation, most other games won't benefit hardly at all, however the Core 2 is still very capable (its faster than Pentium 4/Pentium D and Athlon64 in terms of mhz for mhz, the extra cores only help in some areas though).

2GB should be your minimum buy point, 2GB of DDR2 costs about $120, so theres no reason to go any lower than 2GB of RAM. PCI Express x16 should be the standard for graphics, AGP is dead in the water, I'd suggest looking at the GeForce 8500, 7600, and 8600 series (listed slowest to fastest) along with the Radeon X1600, X1650, and upcoming HD 2600 series (listed slowest to fastest). A system along those lines should only cost about $900 to $1000 with case and decent power supply (I can't stress enough how much getting a high end power supply is important, don't waste time with "500W for $29.99", it isn't worth it, I'd suggest looking exclusively at: Antec, Corsair, OCZ Technology, Enermax, PC Power & Cooling, SeaSonic, and Thermaltake).

The monitor is your next concern, as a bad monitor will make your gaming experience less than stellar, I'd suggest 1280x1024 or higher on a 17" or 19" LCD, go widescreen if you want, but realize that games which don't support widescreen (older games) will be streched. Also realize that games that can't be run at widescreen due to performance issues (like FEAR) will have to be run at a lower resolution, and be streched.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?